Albany Public Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What are you reading this week? (May 25-May 31)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate | 286 comments Mod
Hope everyone had a nice and safe long weekend! I am currently reading A Good Marriage

What did everyone read over the long weekend?

message 2: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 80 comments Mod
I'm slowly chipping away at Before the Devil Breaks You, one chapter (sometimes two!) every night before bed. My new audiobook to listen to while working on puzzles is This is Where I Leave You. A friend gave me the book last year, but I don't have the energy to read more than one physical book at a time right now so I downloaded the audiobook from OverDrive.

message 3: by Geraldine (new)

Geraldine I'm almost done with Barbarian Nurseries on audilble. I have The Light Between us on by bedroom end table -read it at night before bedtime

message 4: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 209 comments I finished The Real Lolita: The Kidnapping of Sally Horner and the Novel that Scandalized the World and wrote a review.

I haven't yet selected my next read.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren C | 81 comments GERALDINE wrote: "I'm almost done with Barbarian Nurseries on audilble. I have The Light Between us on by bedroom end table -read it at night before bedtime"

Geraldine, are you liking Barbarian Nurseries? It looks like something I might like!

This week I'm re-reading Ruth Reichl's first two memoirs, Comfort Me with Apples and Tender at the Bone. She's such a great writer, and food writer, and discusses her difficult family so beautifully.

message 6: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 209 comments I started Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones . The author uses "atomic" to mean "small," since atoms are tiny building blocks. I kind of wish he'd called the book "Nano Habits." Because in my brain, "atomic" is "explosive."

So, I'm still early in the book, but for those of you familiar with The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business , James Clear's aim is to build on that book and provide actionable steps for habit formation.

message 7: by Geraldine (new)

Geraldine Lauren wrote: "GERALDINE wrote: "I'm almost done with Barbarian Nurseries on audilble. I have The Light Between us on by bedroom end table -read it at night before bedtime"

Geraldine, are you liking Barbarian Nu..."

Yes its a very good book. It's from the point of view of a young lady who is an immigrant from Mexico. It gets across her point of view illuminates what's been happening in this country relating to present day immigrants . It's relatable and tells what her life is like now in the USA and also something about what it was like in Mexico. Hector Tobar's writing is illuminating

message 8: by Abi (new)

Abi (foureyedabi) | 75 comments I just finished Nobody Will Tell You This But Me by Bess Kalb. It was really really funny until it was completely heartbreaking 💔

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren C | 81 comments Abi wrote: "I just finished Nobody Will Tell You This But Me by Bess Kalb. It was really really funny until it was completely heartbreaking 💔"

Ooooh this looks good too! I have been getting such good recommendations from everyone here-- thanks!!

message 10: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 80 comments Mod
Mirkat wrote: "I started Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones. The author uses "atomic" to mean "small," since atoms are tiny building blocks. I kind of wish h..."

I'll have to look into this. The Power of Habit was a great read, and I'm always interested in learning more about how we form and break habits.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.