Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town
This topic is about The Darkest Night
Archive - Group Reads > The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town by Ron Franscell - June 2020

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Hello, fellow Crime, Mystery & Thriller readers! This discussion is about, The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town by Ron Franscell, your discussion leader is Jenny

Please note: If you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.
The Darkest Night The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town by Ron Franscell Fall The Rape and Murder of Innocence in a Small Town by Ron Franscell The Darkest Night Two Sisters, a Brutal Murder, and the Loss of Innocence in a Small Town by Ron Franscell

SUMMARY

Casper, Wyoming:1973. Eleven-year-old Amy Burridge rides with her eighteen-year-old sister, Becky, to the grocery store. When they finish their shopping, Becky’s car gets a flat tire. Two men politely offer them a ride home. But they were anything but Good Samaritans. The girls would suffer unspeakable crimes at the hands of these men before being thrown from a bridge into the North Platte River. One miraculously survived. The others did not.

Years later, author and journalist Ron Franscell—who lived in Casper at the time of the crime, and was a friend to Amy and Becky—can’t forget Wyoming’s most shocking story of abduction, rape, and murder. Neither could Becky, the surviving sister. The two men who violated her and Amy were sentenced to life in prison, but the demons of her past kept haunting Becky…until she met her fate years later at the same bridge where she’d lost her sister.

Nora | 8 comments I'll be reading this book this month. just got my copy!

message 3: by Althus (new)

Althus (general_tp) | 2 comments Sounds like fun

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Nora wrote: "I'll be reading this book this month. just got my copy!"

Let us know what you think about this book Nora.

message 5: by Jenny (last edited Jun 13, 2020 09:38AM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) I am unable to participate in this discussion this month. I am unable to find a copy of The Darkest Night to read. The Darkest Night is not in my public library. I will keep looking, you never know, I might find a copy.

I will be interested to hear what offer members think of this book.

Nora | 8 comments Jenny, do you use the hoopla app? that's where I found the audiobook, I think they also have it on ebook.

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Nora wrote: "Jenny, do you use the hoopla app? that's where I found the audiobook, I think they also have it on ebook."

Thank you, Nora. Hoopla is not available in Australia. Thank you, Nora, for your suggestions.

Nora | 8 comments Sorry Jenny, I didnt realize.

I finished the book and I found it to be a great true crime read. I feel that the author did a good job with the story, especially being connected to it personally. He shared his feelings but he did not make it all about himself being effected by it. I'm sure that's a fine line when writing a true crime about people you knew and in a town you grew up in.
I also liked that the book covered the event, the trial and the aftermath for everyone involved. Though Becky's was so incredibly sad.
I did originally have an issue with the sharing of the murderer, Ron's "life story", as I didn't feel he deserved that much attention. However, the author did explain it well, pointing out how Ron's story proved his psychopathic mind.