All About Books discussion

Book Chat > Childhood in Southern States of America

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wouter (new)

Wouter Middeldorp | 3 comments Hello there,
I am looking for novels with the Southern States of America as the setting. So, Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc.
I have never been there. But what attracts me are the veranda’s (porches? I am Dutch), the sound of the crickets in the evening, the heat, the nature. And childhood there.
Ideally, I would like to find novels about childhood in that realm - preferably written for adults, but about childhood.
Some examples of books I’ve read that together have caused this longing:

Boy’s Life, by Robert McCammon
Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain
The painted house, by John Grisham
Hearts in Atlanta, by Stephen King
Uncle Tom's cabin, by H.B. Stowe
Summer of night, by Dan Simmons
Interview with the vampire, by Anne Rice (this novel seemed to have more heart for the atmosphere and old houses of New Orleans than for the plot)

Thank you for your tips!
Wouter

message 2: by Petra (new)

Petra | 3246 comments Hi Wouter. Maybe some of these may interest you:

Whistling Past the Graveyard
Books by Joshilyn Jackson (not all are childhood)
Books by William Faulkner (not all are childhood)
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Past Is Never
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (not childhood)
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (I haven't read the book; the movie is terrific)

There's also this list:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

Let us know if you find books that you like.

message 3: by Wouter (new)

Wouter Middeldorp | 3 comments Oh thank you so much for this, Petra! I am glad with these titles, now I can start and try them out. And also the list. Lots of inspiration. Thanks for your help! I will let you know which books I like.

message 4: by Wouter (new)

Wouter Middeldorp | 3 comments 'To kill a mockingbird' I read, should have been on my examples list. I will have forgotten some more. But this is a perfect example of what I am looking for!