Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The Pale Horse (Ariadne Oliver, #5)
This topic is about The Pale Horse
Archive - Group Reads > The Pale Horse - June 2020

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited May 26, 2020 06:56AM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Hello, fellow Crime, Mystery & Thriller readers! This discussion is about, The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie your discussion leader is Jamie

Please note: If you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.
The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie

SUMMARY

A priest's death leads to sinister goings-on in an old country pub…

To understand the strange goings-on at The Pale Horse Inn, Mark Easterbrook knew he had to begin at the beginning. But where exactly was the beginning? Was it the savage blow to the back of Father Gorman's head? Or was it when the priest’s assailant searched him so roughly he tore the clergyman’s cassock? Or could it have been the priest’s visit, just minutes before, to a woman on her death bed? Or was there a deeper significance to the violent squabble which Mark Easterbrook had himself witnessed earlier? Wherever the beginning lies, Mark and his sidekick, Ginger Corrigan, may soon have cause to wish they'd never found it…

message 2: by Aditya (last edited Jun 01, 2020 05:44AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aditya | 1865 comments I read it for the group read as I really enjoyed coming back to Christie with the group for And Then There Was None. However this was not in the same class. The killers are revealed too early, there is a late twist but the main mystery was regarding how the murders were being committed. The first half drags but do persist with it, the second half is much better. Second tier Christie is still fun but this is not exactly a must read.

My review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I think this got selected because the group has a rule about reading series in a chronological order. Maybe the mods should look at doing away with that rule for series that are essentially made up of stand-alones. I just don't see this being selected over a lot of other Christie books had it not been for that rule.

˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri  •°*”˜.•°*”˜ | 1426 comments Mod
I've just started, chapter 10, and it's ok so far. It is dragging a bit.

I think there was a poll that selected this book.

Aditya | 1865 comments Sheri wrote: "I've just started, chapter 10, and it's ok so far. It is dragging a bit.

I think there was a poll that selected this book."

I know a poll selected it but there is a rule regarding nominating a book that states unless the first book in the series is read, following books can not be nominated. I think that limits the group's choices. We are left to selecting either the first book in the series, even when it is widely known the series peaks later or a standalone like this one.

Anyway it drags a bit at the start but gets better later. Hope you will enjoy it.

Sarah-Grace (Azrael865) (sarah-grace) | 44 comments I agree that this isn't the best of Christie. Still I enjoyed it. I always enjoy Ariadne Oliver and wish Christie had focused on her in more stories instead of featuring her as a side character in a couple unrelated stories and Poirot mysteries.

Mellissa Bushby (mellissatracybushby) | 6 comments I love all her books, she really is the queen of crime and I would feel terribly disloyal saying otherwise, but I must confess this isn't one of her best. It seemed a bit incoherent almost, at times, and not quite as cleverly laid out as her jormal fare. Still a lot better than many others and always worth a read.

Joan | 11 comments Not great, but I enjoyed it anyway. There's one plot element that I don't understand. What was the significance of the fact that the name "Corrigan" was on the list? The woman who died at the beginning and gave the list of names to the priest could not have known anything about Ginger Corrigan. Was the person on the list supposed to be Dr. Corrigan? And why were there two characters named Corrigan?

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1172 comments I just started reading.

message 9: by Susan (last edited Jun 07, 2020 08:59PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Susan | 14 comments I usually love Christie's vivid characters, but these just fell flat. Mark just wanders around for the first half of the book and has next to no personality. I think that Christie tried a new approach with this book, but it wasn't successful. I'm currently trying to read all the Christies I've missed over the years by reading one or two a month in 2020. This is, I think, my seventh this year, but two of them were rereads.

message 10: by Jamie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jamie Zaccaria | 151 comments Mod
I guess I feel differently because this is one of my favorite Christie stories to date!

˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri  •°*”˜.•°*”˜ | 1426 comments Mod
Not one of my favorites, drug out way too long.

I have the same question as Joan about the name Corrigan. Did it have significance?

Tonya Mathis | 73 comments I reread this book for the group read. And I love many of Agatha Christie's books. But this one isn't a favorite, but I still enjoyed it.