A Court of Books and Magic ✧・゚: * discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past BOTMs > June BOTM - Sorcery of Thorns (Margaret Rogerson)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥ (queenoffaerie) | 588 comments Mod
This discussion starts on June 1st, make sure to grab the book before then if you want to participate and start reading and discussing on June 1st!! x

message 2: by May (new)

May (theladymidnight) This is a good book! I read it last month and really enjoyed it. Happy reading :)

message 3: by Karro (new)

Karro Herondale (karroherondale) | 143 comments Oooh now I immediately must borrow it from the library! I had planned to read this one later on, but I just love discussions so plan's changed haha

message 4: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 35 comments Happy reading guys!
It's been such a good book, I loved it!

message 5: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

To those that have read it - you all can still take part in the discussion! Love everyone to be involved if they want :)

message 6: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (last edited Jun 01, 2020 01:38AM) (new)

It's June 1st, everyone! Start reading Sorcery of Thorns if you've already got a copy!

What page is everyone on? What are everyone's initial thoughts.

P.S. - Plenty of time until July, feel free to join in whenever you can.
P.P.S - To those that have already read it, you can also discuss! (Just don't spoil anything :))

Happy Reading! XX

message 7: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter (new)

Lucy Tonks | 1157 comments Mod
i'll probably start it by the end of this week or next week :) i found the ebook online and i'm really excited!

message 8: by venus! (new)

venus! (judieduartie) Tbh I was disappointed by the book :/ Everything felt so predictable to me but I really hope I enjoy An Enchantment of Ravens more!

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) This was my second favourite book of 2019... it’s just so good!! I may re read it this month :)

message 10: by Key (new)

Key (keydevera) | 19 comments Starting it today! Hoping for good things *fingers crossed*

message 11: by Persephone6 (last edited Jun 01, 2020 04:33PM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 27 comments Adela wrote: "I've been wanting to read this for a while, so I looked on Overdrive and it's available thankfully. So excited to read this with y'all!"

Also just got this on Overdrive so I'll be starting it today... :) Excited to see how I like it; hopefully, it lives up to the hype!

message 12: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 27 comments So just read the first chapter; it definitely has some common and familiar fantasy elements, but I still thought it was really good... A lot of mystery and some foreshadowing there and what I can only call a seriously intriguing background on librarians and their books :) ... I really want to see where this goes...

message 13: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 35 comments This book gave me Harry Potter-ish vibes somehow. The atmosphere is so good!

message 14: by Persephone6 (last edited Jun 02, 2020 12:04AM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 27 comments Teodora wrote: "This book gave me Harry Potter-ish vibes somehow. The atmosphere is so good!"

Me, too! (view spoiler)

message 15: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 35 comments True! (view spoiler)

message 16: by Persephone6 (last edited Jun 01, 2020 11:56PM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 27 comments Teodora wrote: "True! [spoilers removed]"

It was indeed really good at hooking me from the start :) (view spoiler)

message 17: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

This really gave me Harry Potter vibes too. It feels like the forbidden section in the library from Hogwarts.

message 18: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 35 comments Yes! Exactly! Maybe that is in part why I loved it so much, but honestly the characters are simply the best in this book!

message 19: by Persephone6 (last edited Jun 03, 2020 03:10PM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 27 comments I absolutely agree with you both!! Also, the humor is awesome in a slightly dark but in a funny way :) Chapter 10: (view spoiler)

message 20: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 35 comments Ah the humour is indeed subtle but really good!
(view spoiler)

message 21: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

Lol I'm still quite early on in the book. But here's a quote I loved:

(view spoiler)

Gosh they're so funny

message 22: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 35 comments That cracked me up! 😂 Nathaniel is just the best

message 23: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

Btw just to ask is this a standalone or is it going to be part of a series?

message 24: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 35 comments It is a standalone, unfortunately :(
I am still bitter about that

message 25: by Persephone6 (last edited Jun 04, 2020 11:13AM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 27 comments Teodora wrote: "It is a standalone, unfortunately :(
I am still bitter about that"

This makes me sad now; it's so good, I was sure it was a series!

message 26: by Persephone6 (last edited Jun 04, 2020 11:43AM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 27 comments ♦♣ queenoffaerie ♠♥ wrote: "Lol I'm still quite early on in the book. But here's a quote I loved:

“But I only turn girls into salamanders on Tuesdays. Luckily for you, it’s a Wednesday, which is the day I drink a gob..."

Love this quote, too! :D

message 27: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 27 comments Where is everyone else at btw?

message 28: by May (new)

May (theladymidnight) I loved the humor in this book!! Nathaniel and Silas are really great characters :D

message 29: by azure。*☾ (new)

azure。*☾  (azure_dust) Maya wrote: "I loved the humor in this book!! Nathaniel and Silas are really great characters :D" definitely! I adored this book, and the characters

message 30: by Key (new)

Key (keydevera) | 19 comments How far along is everyone on this one? I’m about halfway through and I’m having a blast! It’s so fast-paced and I love the characters. ♥️

message 31: by Persephone6 (last edited Jun 05, 2020 01:17PM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 27 comments Key wrote: "How far along is everyone on this one? I’m about halfway through and I’m having a blast! It’s so fast-paced and I love the characters. ♥️"

So I'm on chapter 25 right now; it's really good and compulsively easy to read! :) It is, however, very reminiscent of Harry Potter and the like and the romance is cliche, but the world of grimoires and sorcerers is amazing as well as the humor and characters.

message 32: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

From where I am currently, Nathaniel hasn't really opened up to Elizabeth yet, but his humour is already AMAZING, and honestly it's clearly hilarious to him how terrified Elizabeth is.

Also, Finch is UGHGHHGHGHGH

message 33: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 27 comments ♦♣ queenoffaerie ♠♥ wrote: "From where I am currently, Nathaniel hasn't really opened up to Elizabeth yet, but his humour is already AMAZING, and honestly it's clearly hilarious to him how terrified Elizabeth is.

Also, Finch..."

Lol, very true :) What chapter are you at?

message 34: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 27 comments This quote:

(view spoiler)

Book Disclaimer: High chances of enjoying yourself way too much <3

message 35: by Persephone6 (last edited Jun 08, 2020 11:02PM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 27 comments So I just noticed that in Harry Potter magic individualism is only shown in the ever-different Patronus, but I'm pretty sure in Sorcery of Thorns the actual shade of one's magic varies by the sorcerer, right?

message 36: by Key (new)

Key (keydevera) | 19 comments Yes, I think so. Nathaniel’s magic was said to have emerald sparks while Ashcroft’s was described to be gold sparks. 😊

message 37: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

Okay, I read so much last night and am sort of near the end.

Thoughts:
→ Nathaniel and Elisabeth! Cutest couple EVER! Their romance is full of wit, humour, and SO MUCH chemistry.
→ Ashcroft needs to die, preferably as soon as possible.
→ Silas is THE BEST! So much humour coming from demon.
→ This book is soooo unique!!

message 38: by Nikita (new)

Nikita I'll be reading this book after I get done with One True King by Soman Chainani

message 39: by May (new)

May (theladymidnight) Key wrote: "Yes, I think so. Nathaniel’s magic was said to have emerald sparks while Ashcroft’s was described to be gold sparks. 😊"

I never noticed that! It's cool how they're magic is unique

message 40: by May (new)

May (theladymidnight) ♦♣ queenoffaerie ♠♥ wrote: "Okay, I read so much last night and am sort of near the end.

Thoughts:
→ Nathaniel and Elisabeth! Cutest couple EVER! Their romance is full of wit, humour, and SO MUCH chemistry.
→ Ashcroft needs..."

Silas is my favourite character! :D

message 41: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 27 comments Maya wrote: "♦♣ queenoffaerie ♠♥ wrote: "Okay, I read so much last night and am sort of near the end.

Thoughts:
→ Nathaniel and Elisabeth! Cutest couple EVER! Their romance is full of wit, humour, and SO MUCH..."

Mine as well! He's so compelling and there's so much left unexplained about him...

message 42: by azure。*☾ (new)

azure。*☾  (azure_dust) ♦♣ queenoffaerie ♠♥ wrote: "Okay, I read so much last night and am sort of near the end.

Thoughts:
→ Ashcroft needs..."
definitely agree with that!!

message 43: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

Damn they got tricked by Ashcroft twice? Elisabeth should have just whipped out the demonslayer and stabbed him, would have been less messy XD.

message 44: by Persephone6 (last edited Jun 10, 2020 06:09PM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 27 comments So..I'm done and now in a state of semi-after-book-shock :o It was so amazing; lovely book! :) Endlessly sad there is no sequel to devour to answer all the questions I have, though... Even so, this was only published in 2019 so it's possible that if it causes enough interest, it will warrant more books...

I mean Silas is a little demonic enigma wrapped in an Otherworld sorcery puzzle; I wish I could find out more. Plus everything else! Also, you know, though Silas was almost only a secondary character, I feel like much of the story revolved around him and not Elisabeth who was only my second favorite after him... And the way it ends was so suspenseful and fulfiling and hopeful!!

There is one thing I am quite unsure about...(view spoiler)

message 45: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 27 comments Here is my spoiler-free review and rating :)

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 46: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

Persephone6 wrote: "So..I'm done and now in a state of semi-after-book-shock :o It was so amazing; lovely book! :) Endlessly sad there is no sequel to devour to answer all the questions I have, though... Even so, this..."

I'm not sure, I hope that if Rogerson ever returns to the world, maybe if she'll explain it better.

I've always thought that Silas regretted taking 20 years of Nathaniel's life. I've always got the feeling that he accepts who he is and how he must live, but he isn't too happy about it.

Silas has always loved Nathaniel, maybe he viewed that if he was bound to Nathaniel, even if he takes 20 years, he can still be there to protect Nathaniel (as we saw).

message 47: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

Silas is a complicated character, on the one hand, he's a demon like all the others, they have to drain life. On the other hand, even when he is a demon, he still feels for Nathaniel and Elisabeth.

(view spoiler)

message 48: by May (new)

May (theladymidnight) ♦♣ Queen of Faerie ♠♥ wrote: "Silas is a complicated character, on the one hand, he's a demon like all the others, they have to drain life. On the other hand, even when he is a demon, he still feels for Nathaniel and Elisabeth...."

(view spoiler)

message 49: by ♦♣ queen of faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

Maya wrote: "♦♣ Queen of Faerie ♠♥ wrote: "Silas is a complicated character, on the one hand, he's a demon like all the others, they have to drain life. On the other hand, even when he is a demon, he still feel..."

It was a cliffhanger, for sure, but not a 'when's the next book?' cliffhanger, more like closure, ending excitingly.

message 50: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 27 comments ♦♣ Queen of Faerie ♠♥ wrote: "Silas is a complicated character, on the one hand, he's a demon like all the others, they have to drain life. On the other hand, even when he is a demon, he still feels for Nathaniel and Elisabeth...."

I'm fairly sure that was Rogerson's implicit meaning at the end so that makes me happy :)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.