2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children Series #2)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited May 31, 2020 12:26AM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2005 comments This thread is to discuss Hollow City, the second book in the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children Series by Ransom Riggs.

Pages: 428 pages

Length: 1 Month (June)

Participants: Eirelyn, Ruthie, Trisha.

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

message 2: by Eirelyn (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1208 comments Thanks for the thread, Trisha! :D

message 3: by Eirelyn (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1208 comments My e-book loan came through, so I've gone ahead and started this one. :D

message 4: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2005 comments You're welcome, Eirelyn!

I've been following the discussion in the first book's thread, and I so want to read this series. If I find time, I'm definitely joining you both.

message 5: by Eirelyn (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1208 comments That would be great, Trisha! :D I hope you find the time!

message 6: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited May 31, 2020 12:27AM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2005 comments Confirmed! 🥳 I’ll join you both here, although I’ve to finish the first book and a few others before that.

How is it going for you both?

message 7: by Eirelyn (last edited May 31, 2020 09:40AM) (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1208 comments Yay, Trisha! :D I'm glad you'll be joining us.

It's going pretty well for me. I'm nearly 1/3 of the way through the book. Although, I'm not enjoying it quite as much as the first book yet. I really liked the (view spoiler). (Not super-spoilery - just comparing the way the first two books are written.)

message 8: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2005 comments Eirelyn wrote: "Yay, Trisha! :D I'm glad you'll be joining us.

It's going pretty well for me. I'm nearly 1/3 of the way through the book. Although, I'm not enjoying it quite as much as the first book yet. I reall..."

Agreeing with your views there! I’m done with Part 1, and didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would, for the very same reason you stated above.

There’s one thing that I really liked though; (view spoiler)

message 9: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments I haven't started it yet!

message 10: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2005 comments Just finished. It’s Friday night, so getting off Goodreads. Will post my thoughts tomorrow.

Happy weekend! 🥂

message 11: by Eirelyn (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1208 comments Yes, Trisha! I agree with what you said about (view spoiler)

I am somewhere in the middle of Ch. 8. The children have (view spoiler).

I'm enjoying it well enough but feel like I'm kind of going along for the ride, rather than feeling truly invested in this particular story. Unlike the first book, where I couldn't wait to find out what happened next!

message 12: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Starting today!

message 13: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 05, 2020 11:23PM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2005 comments Eirelyn wrote: "Yes, Trisha! I agree with what you said about [spoilers removed]

I am somewhere in the middle of Ch. 8. The children have [spoilers removed].

I'm enjoying it well enough but feel like I'm kind of..."

Same here, Eirelyn! This book wasn’t as interesting as the first one. In fact, I found Part 1 quite dull for my taste. Part 2 was better than 1, but that said, this book doesn’t live up to the expectations the first book led us to have. Although certain things did make me curious, especially (Don’t read this until you’re done reading the book)(view spoiler), but all this was just briefed about and I’m assuming will be handled in detail in the later books.

One thing I’m sure of is that I intend to continue the series.

message 14: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2005 comments Ruthie wrote: "Starting today!"

Yay!

message 15: by Eirelyn (last edited Jun 09, 2020 02:39PM) (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1208 comments I just finished!

I felt the same way, Trisha, that the 2nd half was far better than the 1st half of the book. Honestly, as I was reading the 1st half, I was thinking I might forgo continuing the rest of the series for now. But the 2nd half picked up a bit & got a little more interesting. So now I'm thinking that I will continue with the series.

This book felt a little...repetitive. (view spoiler)

I also felt like there were so many missed opportunities to show (view spoiler)

I honestly didn't feel like I was really into this book until they reached the (view spoiler)

A couple of things I did really enjoy about this book were: 1) (view spoiler)

But as a whole, I felt this book lacked the soul of the 1st novel. Maybe it was (view spoiler)

message 16: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments I'm almost done!

I am agreeing with y'all about not liking this one as much as the first one. It does feel rushed and repetitive. Like action for the sake of action. I'll add more thoughts once I'm finished. I still want to continue the series!

I was surprised that (view spoiler)

message 17: by Eirelyn (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1208 comments Agreed, Ruthie -- action for the sake of action. It's as though a lot of it wasn't really thought out too well. And all the missed opportunities (view spoiler)! Gah! This one really gets me! lol If you couldn't tell. XD

message 18: by Eirelyn (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1208 comments I'll continue the series too. I don't think I mentioned that on the Buddy Read thread, so I'll head there now to confirm. :D

message 19: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2005 comments Eirelyn, you said it! I completely agree with you. Especially about the missed opportunity part. What a shame!

Even though I loved the pictures, do you at times feel that the pictures were selected first, and then the story was written around them? Or am I the only one who feels that? I know, story-building around a picture is an important skill, and is in fact tested at a few institutions and organizations, but sometimes while reading the book, I found some sections insignificant - they weren't adding anything to the book, and were slowing down the already crawling plot.

message 20: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 09, 2020 08:04PM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2005 comments Eirelyn & Ruthie, I've confirmed the next month's buddy read. Yay!

message 21: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Ok I finished it! Gave it 3 stars here's my review:

It lacked the same zazz as the first one. I can tell the author tried to add more action but at time it seemed like action for the sake of action. Would have liked a balance of shorter and longer pacing. I do want to continue the series though.

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments You're definitely right that it lacked the same soul as the first one!

(view spoiler)

message 23: by Eirelyn (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1208 comments Oh, Ruthie, good thought about (view spoiler). I hadn't considered that! But yeah, they do really describe them in detail, so it would stand to reason that that might be the case!

Trisha, yes, I did kind of feel that way about the photos, more so in this 2nd book. I still enjoyed them, though. I just think it's really neat that the author used old photos this way. Maybe some of those photos would have been lost to the world eventually, but this way they will live on. :D It's a really romantic idea.

message 24: by Sam (new)

Sam | 3 comments I had a really busy month and I only finished the 2nd book at the beginning of the week.
I agree that the second book was with less emotion, and a lot more action.
The first stretched lazily and felt a bit aimless.
The second part was much better, and I felt there was more emotion and depth very close to the end.
The end actually quite in suspense, and I had to finish the book instead of putting it down and going to sleep.
I am going to continue to the 3rd book to see how things are going to turn out.

About the pictures, I think since there are not a lot of peculiar pictures from that period, is that the author clearly builds a lot of the plot to match the pictures. And sometimes it is more forced than other times. I think that in the first book those pictures gave the author inspiration which created the plot. While in the 2nd book he simply continued with the theme, and had to tie plot to the pictures and not the other way around.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hollow City (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ransom Riggs (other topics)