On the Shoulders of Giants discussion

Wow! Planet Earth > Traveling

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by KM Abiduzzaman (new)

KM Abiduzzaman | 77 comments Share your travel experiences here.

message 2: by KM Abiduzzaman (new)

KM Abiduzzaman | 77 comments Have you ever been to Yellowstone National Park?

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric | 16 comments I've never gone, but I'd love to go someday

message 4: by Sean Sparks (new)

Sean Sparks | 20 comments I was in the Army for a long time and lived in a few countries. Some of the highlights are:

I visited the Panama Canal while I lived there. It is an awesome spectacle and amazing given the fact that it was constructed during early 1900’s and I still perfectly functioning to this day.

I lived in Egypt for a year and was able to visit the Pyramids of Giza. Immense and awe-inspiring to be sure!

While in Iraq multiple times I drove past the ruins of Babylon and another time I was able to see one of the gates to Nineveh, and the last time I was there I was able to wander the Ziggaraut of Ur and walk through the ruins. Pretty amazing!

While in Alaska I was able to see Denali (Mount McKinley) numerous times!

And while in Korea I was able to see the demilitarized zone (DMZ) and lived within site of the North Seoul Tower which was very beautiful at night.

I f you have any questions, please feel free to ask! 🙏

message 5: by Sean Sparks (new)

Sean Sparks | 20 comments I would love to visit Central Asia and Australia! Has anyone been there?

message 6: by KM Abiduzzaman (new)

KM Abiduzzaman | 77 comments Sean Sparks wrote: "I was in the Army for a long time and lived in a few countries. Some of the highlights are:

I visited the Panama Canal while I lived there. It is an awesome spectacle and amazing given the fact th..."

Oh My God! Sean, you have seen almost all the amazing parts of this planet.

And also have you ever faced any critical situation in the army ( share only if you are permitted and are comfortable to share)?

message 7: by Sean Sparks (new)

Sean Sparks | 20 comments I did six combat tours overseas as an Infantryman and Paratrooper. That’s all I wish to share about that right now.

I feel very fortunate to see and be able to live in other countries while in the Army. I have always tried to take away the good experiences from my travels. Seeing wondrous things, meeting good and interesting people wherever I’ve been, tasting the local cuisines, learning about other’s cultures, and seeing the similar things which make us human, have been amongst my joys of traveling so much!

Even now I search for the beautiful in the seemingly mundane.

message 8: by KM Abiduzzaman (new)

KM Abiduzzaman | 77 comments Sean Sparks wrote: "I did six combat tours overseas as an Infantryman and Paratrooper. That’s all I wish to share about that right now.

I feel very fortunate to see and be able to live in other countries while in th..."

Sean, I watched some military films like- lone survivor, American sniper, the hurt locker. So, I literally don't know the exact words to appreciate your bravery and mental strength. Highly proud of you! and I am extremely sorry for asking you the worst question as such a life is full of critical situations ( and how dumb I am that I asked you- have you ever...)

Have you ever visited Bangladesh or India? If you haven't please accept my invitation to explore the Indian subcontinent.

message 9: by Sean Sparks (new)

Sean Sparks | 20 comments No need for apologies my friend! 😁 It was not a dumb question at all! Please continue to ask questions of me, that is what we are all here for to get to know one another better.

As for India and Pakistan, it is still one of my dreams to visit these ancient lands and experience the culture and know the people! The lands of the Indus and Ganges rivers have contributed so much to humanity in general and the wisdoms that have grown from these gardens is legendary. So yes, one day I hope to be able to travel there.

message 10: by Sean Sparks (new)

Sean Sparks | 20 comments I forgot to mention Bangladesh (must be getting old)! I would love to see the Ganges river delta and explore Chittagong and Dhaka. What is the national dish of Bangladesh? I will try to find a recipe. Where do you live KM?

Bangladesh, India, and Pakistan are the three countries of Central Asia that I want to visit, but while there I would probably also want to visit Bhutan and Nepal and see the world famous mountains. I would also like to attend a Cricket match as well while I am there. 😁

message 11: by KM Abiduzzaman (new)

KM Abiduzzaman | 77 comments Sean Sparks wrote: "I forgot to mention Bangladesh (must be getting old)! I would love to see the Ganges river delta and explore Chittagong and Dhaka. What is the national dish of Bangladesh? I will try to find a reci..."

We, Bengali people, are very much fond of fish.

description
So, this is a curry of hilsha fish, it's one of our traditional dishes. So spicy, isn't it? :)

I live in Dhaka. I will say you will really enjoy traveling to Bangladesh and attending a cricket match.

message 12: by Sean Sparks (new)

Sean Sparks | 20 comments I love fish!!! What’s that dish called? It looks delicious!

message 13: by KM Abiduzzaman (new)

KM Abiduzzaman | 77 comments Sean Sparks wrote: "I love fish!!! What’s that dish called? It looks delicious!"

Yeah, it's so delicious. We call it 'Sharshe ilish'. What's your favorite dish?

message 14: by Sean Sparks (new)

Sean Sparks | 20 comments I love Arroz con Pollo! It is the national dish of the Republic of Panama. It is an orange colored rice with chicken, olives, green pigeon peas, and mixed vegetables. Super delicious and healthy as well! I haven’t figured out to add photos with my phone yet, but it is definitely very good!