2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > Eric (Discworld #9)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2226 comments This thread is to discuss Eric, the ninth book in the Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett.

Pages: 197 pages

Length: 1 Month (June)

Participants:Marc, RJ, Scott. Sinisa, Sonsoles.

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 636 comments So... this one might not be very good, according to general critical consensus. Not to undercut the book, but putting it out there. If I understand correctly, this was initially made as an illustrated book, but most editions now are just the text. I contemplated ordering a Russian version on thriftbooks.com that looked like it might be illustrated, just to see the pictures that were supposed to accompany it. But I did not.

Anyway, it will be interesting to re-read this; I probably have not touched it since my teen years

message 3: by Sinisa (new)

Sinisa | 356 comments Marc wrote: "So... this one might not be very good, according to general critical consensus. Not to undercut the book, but putting it out there. If I understand correctly, this was initially made as an illustra..."

I plan to start later in the month but I checked my copy and unfortunately it is just text. That Faust crossed over - Eric title is interesting. After few novels i hated Rincewind character he was great in previous one so one more reason I am interested to read this is - Rincewind is back.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 636 comments That first footnote has to be one of Pratchett's best ever footnotes.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 636 comments I'm 1/3 of the way through, and it's not bad at all! As usual for a Rincewind book, it appears to be a jaunt to various exotic Discworld locales. Currently the "heroes" are busy with an Aztec-styled culture. The story structure is very smooth, good jokes. Rincewind has a distinct voice. I am liking it!

It is very short though.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 636 comments Done. It was not bad at all! It was good! I am now unclear why it gets a bad rap. Maybe people are disappointed by the brevity, in comparison with the rest of the books.

I really enjoyed the portrayal of hell as bureaucracy. It's a gag that, if done well, can be really funny, IMO. I recommend Satan Loves You by Grady Hendrix in that vein.

message 7: by Sonsoles (new)

Sonsoles (sonsoles190) | 112 comments Wow, Marc, that was fast!

Hello there! Although I couldn't join you last month, this time I am reading it =)

I have never read this on before, but it has been on my shelves for a long time (even a couple of years, I'd say) so I really wanted to read.

Let's see how it is. I'm starting today ^^

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 636 comments Sonsoles wrote: "Wow, Marc, that was fast!

Hello there! Although I couldn't join you last month, this time I am reading it =)

I have never read this on before, but it has been on my shelves for a long time (even ..."

Are you done yet? lol, it's so short.

message 9: by Sinisa (new)

Sinisa | 356 comments OK i am starting it today... and I am done. Just kidding but it is shorter then i thought if I am not finished today I will for shore tomorrow.

@ Marc Chicken and a feather note? Was funny but not that much to me, cant top headology brilliance of "You wont believe what she did to him..."

Cant find available Satan loves You but I will put it on my tbr in case i find it somewhere

@Sonsoles Glad to have you back on track with us :)

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 636 comments That Satan Loves You book is not widely available, true. It was an early self-published book by the author before he broke into regular publishing.

message 11: by Sinisa (new)

Sinisa | 356 comments Well half way trough and taking a brake. Its ok so far reminds me on few first Rincewind books. I have a favorite quote so far:

“Come on. Let's run away."
"Where to?"
Rincewind sighed. He'd tried to make his basic philosophy clear time and again, and
people never got the message.
"Don't you worry about to," he said. "In my experience that always takes care of itself.
The important word is AWAY!”

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 636 comments OMG that is the exact same quote I quoted in one of my progress updates.

message 13: by Sinisa (new)

Sinisa | 356 comments Marc wrote: "OMG that is the exact same quote I quoted in one of my progress updates."

Well it is typical Rincewind thinking, cant go wrong with this one, the one with never turning around when you run was also good.

I finished, it was good, short and funny with some great lines. For me second best Rincewind book. It is really short so you cant not like it, there is no time for this to get boring. In whole series this is No 5 or 6 for me for now, ranked somewhere around the middle.

message 14: by Sonsoles (new)

Sonsoles (sonsoles190) | 112 comments Sinisa wrote: "Well half way trough and taking a brake. Its ok so far reminds me on few first Rincewind books. I have a favorite quote so far:

“Come on. Let's run away."
"Where to?"
Rincewind sighed. He'd tried ..."

Oh, this quote doesn't sound as good in Spanish (my Discworld books are all in Spanish =/ )

I have just finished too and I totally agree with Sinisa, too short not to like it; funny and entertaining.

I have enjoyed it ^^

message 15: by Sinisa (new)

Sinisa | 356 comments So next is Moving pictures or book No 10 of Discworld and after that Reaper Man No 11 but there is some short No 10.5 book in between. What are plans for that one? I plan to read it if i find it but should i do it with 10 or 11 or it doesn't matter

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 636 comments Stick to the main novels. The short stories are all found in A Blink of the Screen. I found them largely insubstantial. A good read for fans but not at all essential.

message 17: by Sinisa (new)

Sinisa | 356 comments OK will do that, tnx Marc

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 636 comments We can br sure to mention the short stories as they come up in that continuity order for anyone who eants to read them in addition to the monthly novels.

message 19: by Sinisa (new)

Sinisa | 356 comments I just wanted to brag that I got my hands on The Illustrated Eric and it is great. There are less illustration then I was expecting but they are good. There are few minor art details that are awesome (chapter brakes, artistic first letter, tiny bees flying on margins...). I wanted to post few pictures but apparently i cant :(

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 636 comments Awesome! I just got a copy two days ago too. It's smaller than I expected, compared to The Last Hero, but terrific illustrated spreads. I suspect that American publishers were not willing to do the more expensive illustrated printing when this book was released. They still didn't quite "get" the potential of the Discworld books at that point.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 636 comments Sinisa wrote: "I just wanted to brag that I got my hands on The Illustrated Eric and it is great. There are less illustration then I was expecting but they are good. There are few minor art details..."

Here one method to post pictures, has worked great for me. Only on computer, not on mobile:
1. Go to your profile, click on "more photos" under your profile picture.
2. Click "add more photos" (upper right)
3. Browse and upload the image you want from your computer
4. Now in your list of uploaded photos, select the one you want, then right-click on the large version and choose "inspect". A side panel will open with some code. The part you need is already highlighted.
5. Copy the highlighted portion, and paste it into your message. This will insert the photo! Like this:

(This is an irrelevant photo for this book topic. I was going to take a picture of one the Eric illustrations to demonstrate, but my daughter took my phone away to show her friend a picture on it...)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.