2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials #1)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2005 comments This thread is to discuss The Golden Compass, the first book in the His Dark Materials Series by Philip Pullman.

Pages: 399 pages

Length: 1 Month (June)

Participants: Skumaskot, Michelle.

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

message 2: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3072 comments This is one of my all time favourite books! I absolutely love it. If I didn't have a massive pile of unread books, I'd be joining this buddy read too to reread The Golden Compass yet again (less than a year since my last reread)
Personally, I didn't like the movie adaptation but I was impressed with season 1 of the His Dark Materials TV show.
I'll be interested to see what you think

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (spookiieej) | 313 comments Thank you Rachael! I've read it before, but that is very long ago and am starting it today, since I just finished my other book :). I'm reading the northern lights though, which is the same book but a different edition?

message 4: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3072 comments Michelle wrote: "Thank you Rachael! I've read it before, but that is very long ago and am starting it today, since I just finished my other book :). I'm reading the northern lights though, which is the same book bu..."
Northern Lights is the same book with a different (original?) title

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (spookiieej) | 313 comments I think it's the original title yeah. The film is called the Golden Compass, so that's why the book name changed as well I guess.

message 6: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Love this book too! I've read the first two in the series but I'll join the buddy read for the third. I also liked the HBO show for the first book. I didn't watch the movie because I heard bad things about it lol

message 7: by Michelle (last edited Jun 06, 2020 06:27AM) (new)

Michelle (spookiieej) | 313 comments Wooohoo! Someone else to join later ;).

I am halfway through the book now, since it's my go to in the mornings and evenings to wind down after studying. It is an easy read :).

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2005 comments Hi Michelle, I hope you are having a good buddy read. Skumaskot had to pull out of this thread due to a difficult situation at home. You can still continue to post your thoughts here as I'm sure Rachael and Ruthie will be happy to hear from you and engage further. :)

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (spookiieej) | 313 comments Okay! Thank you for letting me know! :)

message 10: by Michelle (last edited Jun 11, 2020 12:16AM) (new)

Michelle (spookiieej) | 313 comments Okay, for anyone still reading the comments I have on the book or want to discuss it (even if you have read the book earlier already); I have come to part 3 of the book and there were some moments that I really couldn't stop reading (resulting in going to bed way too late again).

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3072 comments Michelle wrote: "Okay, for anyone still reading the comments I have on the book or want to discuss it (even if you have read the book earlier already); I have come to part 3 of the book and there were some moments ..."

I am always happy to discuss my all-time favourite series. I've read it so many times and each time, I spot something new :). I agree with you about (view spoiler)

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Robinson (jessicathebookaddict) | 73 comments I have received the series recently through a book swap group on facebook, and I have only just discovered this buddy read for it - Perfect timing!! :D

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (spookiieej) | 313 comments @Racheal: I finished the book yesterday and I think that scene is great as well. I had to had some time to let the ending set in. (view spoiler)

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (spookiieej) | 313 comments @Carissa: Yaay! Do you want to join? My buddy in this buddy read couldn't do the book due to personal reasons, so I'm on my own now. I also don't have a buddy for the second book in the series which I planned to read next month. Do you feel like joining me there as well? :). If so, please let us know in the buddy read sign up treat, so we can confirm.

I will be glad to hear what your thoughts about the book will be! :). Please let me know!

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Robinson (jessicathebookaddict) | 73 comments Michelle wrote: "@Carissa: Yaay! Do you want to join? My buddy in this buddy read couldn't do the book due to personal reasons, so I'm on my own now. I also don't have a buddy for the second book in the series whic..."

Yes I would love to join! :D I'm a little behind on it as I would have liked, but other than that :D I would have to find out how to join the buddy read sign up, so bear with me! Xx

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (spookiieej) | 313 comments Yaaaay! :). You can join by just saying that you want to join me (Michelle) with the subtle knife in July (If July still fits for you? Would be best, since the third part is planned in August and more people joined that one already) in this topic:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

How far are you currently in the book and what do you think of it? :). No problem if you're behind, it's natural to sometimes be behind ;).

message 17: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3072 comments Michelle wrote: "@Racheal: I finished the book yesterday and I think that scene is great as well. I had to had some time to let the ending set in. I was really sad about Roger. Why couldn't she just be on time to ..."
I'm glad you're excited to carry on with the series. (view spoiler)

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Robinson (jessicathebookaddict) | 73 comments Michelle wrote: "Yaaaay! :). You can join by just saying that you want to join me (Michelle) with the subtle knife in July (If July still fits for you? Would be best, since the third part is planned in August and m..."

I'm currently on page 131... Am enjoying it so far moreso than I thought! I am currently finding it to be on the slow side, but also a lot happens at the same time, which is weird in a good way :D

message 19: by Fadi (new)

Fadi Kharoufeh (fadireads) | 67 comments Hi guys,
I haven't read 'his dark materials' but what books fall under the same type of genre.. I am not into high fantasy books or even things like Harry Potter but an element of sci fi is great...

Fadi

message 20: by Michelle (last edited Jun 17, 2020 06:28AM) (new)

Michelle (spookiieej) | 313 comments @Clarissa
I thought in part 1 and 2 there is really something happening. The first (and longest) part is a bit of introduction into the story. I agree with you :)

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (spookiieej) | 313 comments Fadi wrote: "Hi guys,
I haven't read 'his dark materials' but what books fall under the same type of genre.. I am not into high fantasy books or even things like Harry Potter but an element of sci fi is great....."

I'm not really good at placing books in categories, because I feel every one is so unique. This book starts at the beginning pages with the concept of deamons, which are like one with the human. So that's a bit magical. There are also some other magical creatures in this book. Overall I would say this book is written for a younger public. If you didn't like Harry Potter, I personally don't think you will like this too, but you are always free to try! It's difficult to describe a book without spoilers.

For the second and third book in the series:
(view spoiler)

message 22: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2005 comments Please confirm in the Buddy Read Sign Up thread if you wish to continue the series next month; in the absence of a confirmation, the thread for the next book will not be posted.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) | 9 comments This book had an unusual premise, but I liked it. The movie however, was terribly disappointing.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Golden Compass (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Philip Pullman (other topics)