2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > The Martian (The Martian #1)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited May 31, 2020 12:17AM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2014 comments This thread is to discuss The Martian, the first book in the The Martian Series by Andy Weir.

Pages: 369 pages

Length: 1 Month (June)

Participants: Lynn, oshizu, Trisha, Ruthie.

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments I have been meaning to read this and then watch the movie in what seems like forever! Anxious to get to it next week! :)

message 3: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited May 26, 2020 02:07PM) (new)

oshizu | 5093 comments I'm excited to read this with you both, Lynn and Trisha!

message 4: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2014 comments Lynn & oshizu - What an excellent company to read this book with! 🤩

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments Woo! Woo! An excellent trio! :)

message 6: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments I'm joining too!

message 7: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 5093 comments Welcome to the discussion, Ruthie!

message 8: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments Now we’re a marvelous quartet!! Welcome, Ruthie!

message 9: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited May 28, 2020 11:27PM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2014 comments That's awesome, Ruthie! :)

When is everyone starting with this one? I have my copy handy, but will start once one of you start reading as well.

Edit:
Just realized that Lynn has already commented that she'll start next week. Maybe I'll do the same.

message 10: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Thanks everyone!

I'll start next week too! I tend to read a few books at a time so if y'all want to or are able to update where you're at in the book so I don't read it too fast or too slow lol

I've seen the movie and like it but been wanting to read the book also

message 11: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 5093 comments How nice that the three of you plan to start at the same time!
I shall do the same! I never read more than 2 books at a time and usually try to stop at a point where I can comment. Try.

message 12: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments oshizu wrote: "How nice that the three of you plan to start at the same time!
I shall do the same! I never read more than 2 books at a time and usually try to stop at a point where I can comment. Try."

You don't have to! But sometimes when I read with others I read too fast and other times I read too slow lol because usually during the week I can listen to the book for 3-4 hrs a day and sometimes more so that's what causes me to go too fast

message 13: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments A few hrs into the audiobook. Loving the humor!

message 14: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2014 comments I just started reading this. It has the same feel as the movie. Despite the dire circumstances, the tone is unbelievably humorous! 😀

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments I read the first chapter today just to preview and loved the humor as well! The author is a rather fascinating character himself! His hobbies are subjects that most of us know little to nothing about, hence his scientific background for this book!

message 16: by Alan (new)

Alan Brown | 5 comments I read the book a while back. The movie is probably my all time favorite but I dont think the book does it justice. Usually books are better than the movie but in this case I like the movie much better.

message 17: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments Oh, my! I am enjoying this so much! The nerd in me is soooooo happy with this book! I can tell I'll be reading just as late as I can tonight! :)

message 18: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 5093 comments Starting now! 😊

message 19: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments I loved the movie too! For now I’m liking them both the same. It’s hard to beat Matt Damon though! I love how easy it is to understand. The science is explained in such a down to earth way!

message 20: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments I finished it and loved it!!

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments Ruthie wrote: "I finished it and loved it!!

I liked that the crew went against NASA and decided to go back and save him.

The part where Johansen was talking to her dad and telling him not to worry and that the..."

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments I loved the characterization. And the snarkiness. Mark is my kinda guy. He says what he thinks. Though he is respectful. (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

message 23: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 04, 2020 10:02PM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2014 comments Mine too! My book doesn’t end (view spoiler)

message 24: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments My first husband and I had a HUGE garden when I was a full-time stay-at-home mom when my children were young, so I (view spoiler)

message 25: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments Anxious to watch the movie and compare now! I loved Lewis! I didn't think there was any way she would (view spoiler)

message 26: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 05, 2020 01:01AM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2014 comments I finished the book today; was deliberately taking it slow. Or I was made to. My husband and I, both Engineers, brain-stormed the book every time I finished a chapter. We both are extremely competitive nerds, who seem to disagree with each other's knowledge of Science, and as a result whenever he agreed with a fact given in the book, I didn't, and vice-versa. Hence, increasing my reading time considerably. Although we both do agree that the book is factually correct to a great deal, with only minor inaccuracies here and there, which is passable, because hey! this is still a science-FICTION!

Here is my review of the book. I strongly feel that Weir should have added some Behavioural Science to the book, but, overall, it was a very interesting read.

Also, the movie does complete justice to this book. Planning to watch it again!

message 27: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 04, 2020 10:28PM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2014 comments Lynn wrote: "Anxious to watch the movie and compare now! I loved Lewis! I didn't think there was any way she would [spoilers removed]"

I agree, there is no way (view spoiler)

message 28: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 5093 comments IshallcommentonSunday,aftermynewkeyboard(withoutthebrokenSpacebar)arrives.

message 29: by Lynn (last edited Jun 05, 2020 10:27AM) (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments oshizu wrote: "IshallcommentonSunday,aftermynewkeyboard(withoutthebrokenSpacebar)arrives."

You made me laugh so hard my husband hollered at me to see what was so funny! Even he chuckled when I showed him! :) (He's fairly stoic as a rule...)

Here's hoping it arrives soon. Very quickly! I cannot imagine that level of frustration!

message 30: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments Trisha wrote: "I finished the book today; was deliberately taking it slow. Or I was made to. My husband and I, both Engineers, brain-stormed the book every time I finished a chapter. We both are extremely competitive nerds, who seem to disagree with each other's knowledge of Science, and as a result whenever he agreed with a fact given in the book, I didn't, and vice-versa. Hence, increasing my reading time considerably. Although we both do agree that the book is factually correct to a great deal, with only minor inaccuracies here and there, which is passable, because hey! this is still a science-FICTION!

Thank you for the reminder that this is fiction after all! I think sometimes as readers we all tend to be overcritical, especially in areas where we have direct experience. Fiction. Yes. Yay for fiction!

message 31: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments One of my favorite characters was Annie, the PR person! (She speaks my kind of language!) I loved her and (view spoiler)

message 32: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments I felt as if we never really knew for certain who (view spoiler) I don't have a problem with believing that, but I wondered how others felt. Could it have been anyone else? Why or why not?

message 33: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments And Mindy was another favorite of mine. (view spoiler) I admired her so much for that.

message 34: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments (view spoiler)

message 35: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 06, 2020 01:22AM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2014 comments In response to Lynn & Ruthie - (view spoiler)

message 36: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 06, 2020 09:39AM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2014 comments I loved Annie too! 💗
I feel all women characters were projected strong and fearless, from Annie to Lewis.

message 37: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments Ruthie wrote: "spoiler"

I agree, Ruthie. I believe (view spoiler) I can easily see that happening.

message 38: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments Trisha wrote: "In response to Lynn & Ruthie - spoiler"

Ack! You engineers! ;) Always have to bring something like math into it!(view spoiler) Now there's a twist in the conversation! :)

message 39: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments Trisha wrote: "I loved Annie too! 💗
I feel all women characters were projected as strong and fearless, from Annie to Lewis."

Yes, and from a male author, that was particularly nice to see, IMO!

message 40: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 06, 2020 09:40AM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2014 comments Lynn wrote: "Yes, and from a male author, that was particularly nice to see, IMO!"

True that!

message 41: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2014 comments Lynn wrote: "Trisha wrote: "In response to Lynn & Ruthie - spoiler"

Ack! You engineers! ;) Always have to bring something like math into it![spoilers removed] Now there's a twist in the conversation! :)"

Haha! Just the reason I love Buddy Reads so much!

message 42: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 5093 comments My new keyboard arrived today and I've got a spacebar again!
Like everyone else, I really enjoyed The Martian. Mark kept incredibly optimistic and focused on the present, despite his terrifying circumstances. He never lost his sense of humor.

@Lynn
When the Hermes crew (view spoiler)

Considering Mark's dilemma, this book was rife with the most hilarious one-liners. Not sure if I could even name a favorite. Pretty sure Anne's response to the naming "Project Elrond" is at the top of the list. (view spoiler)

@Trisha How awesome that you and your husband debated the scientific veracity of The Martian after every chapter. Your comment makes me realize that I'm more of an otaku than a nerd. (view spoiler) I realize that my comment wasn't much of a plot spoiler but I hide in case future readers visit this thread before reading the Book. Perish the thought!

@Ruthie I was surprised by your comment about the book ending at (view spoiler)

Loved the format of this novel, too, told mainly through journal entries, transmissions, and conversations.

This has been one fantastic buddy read, ladies! 💖
Can't wait to read Artemis next month!

message 43: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 07, 2020 06:08AM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2014 comments oshizu wrote: "My new keyboard arrived today and I've got a spacebar again!
Like everyone else, I really enjoyed The Martian. Mark kept incredibly optimistic and focused on the present, despite his terrifying cir..."

oshizu, Not judging, but you bought a whole keyboard because the spacebar key was not working! That’s some spending! 🥺

Adding Otaku to my limited vocabulary. Such a cool word! Thanks!

Lastly, I loved the reference to the Council of Elrond! #LOTRFanForLife

Okay, sorry, not finished, one more thing to say - I also liked the remark on Hindu Gods -

“DO YOU believe in God, Venkat?” Mitch asked.
“Sure, lots of ’em,” Venkat said. “I’m Hindu.”
“Ask ’em all for help with this launch.”
“Will do.”

It might not be funny for others, but being a Hindu, I cracked up. We really got a lot of Gods! 😂

message 44: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments about my edition of the ending (view spoiler)

message 45: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Jun 07, 2020 10:20AM) (new)

oshizu | 5093 comments Trisha wrote: "oshizu, Not judging, but you bought a whole keyboard because the spacebar key was not working! That’s some spending! 🥺"

@Trisha
In my defense, the keyboard might have been 4 years old. I tried removing the spacebar and cleaning out the button mount (I must have spilled something into it), but then failed to properly remount the spacebar. It was just stuck at its lowest point.
My x key had started intermittently sticking, too.

After 12 hours of attempted repairs, I finally gave up and ordered a new keyboard. That time included learning to reassigning Space to a mouse button. I wondered why how all the Youtube vids on "How to remount your Spacebar" had no sound. I discovered after some hours that I'd accidentally disabled my Logitech headset in Device Manager.
So yeah, at 9 pm, I decided to order a new keyboard...

Judge me all you want. I was desperate, LOL!

message 46: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments oshizu wrote: "My new keyboard arrived today and I've got a spacebar again!
Like everyone else, I really enjoyed The Martian. Mark kept incredibly optimistic and focused on the present, despite his terrifying cir..."

Whew! I am so glad and relieved that you now have a keyboard with a working space bar! :)

message 47: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments oshizu wrote: "My new keyboard arrived today and I've got a spacebar again!

@Lynn
When the Hermes crew"

I don't know that the (view spoiler)

"Considering Mark's dilemma, this book was rife with the most hilarious one-liners. Not sure if I could even name a favorite. Pretty sure Anne's response to the naming "Project Elrond" is at the top of the list."

Since I consider Anne and myself to be much alike, I would bet she did! (view spoiler)

message 48: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments Trisha wrote: "“DO YOU believe in God, Venkat?” Mitch asked.
“Sure, lots of ’em,” Venkat said. “I’m Hindu.”
“Ask ’em all for help with this launch.”
“Will do.”

It might not be funny for others, but being a Hindu, I cracked up. We really got a lot of Gods!"

Ha! Ha! I caught this as well since I have several friends who are Hindu! I laughed out loud so many times as I read this book!

message 49: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments Ruthie wrote: "about my edition of the ending [spoilers removed]"

That's so weird! You would think all editions would have the same ending, etc.!

message 50: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments oshizu wrote: "Trisha wrote: "oshizu, Not judging, but you bought a whole keyboard because the spacebar key was not working! That’s some spending! 🥺"

@Trisha
In my defense, the keyboard might have been 4 years o..."

I, for one, am not judging you at all. I would have immediately just ordered a new one. Skip the YouTube videos, etc. Nuh-uh. Just replace and use! :) Kudos to you for spending that much time to try to repair it. :)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Martian (other topics)
Artemis (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Andy Weir (other topics)