2021 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > The Strange Bird

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited May 26, 2020 06:16AM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1958 comments This thread is to discuss The Strange Bird: A Borne Story, a stand-alone story in the Borne Series by Jeff VanderMeer. This novella expands the universe set in the first book Borne, and is placed between the first and second books.

Pages: 96 pages

Length: 1 Month (June)

Participants: Dominique, Kristin, oshizu, SarahKat, Shareen, Trisha.

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

message 2: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4879 comments Wooo, I can't wait to read this novella. I wonder if it will be narrated by Borne....

message 3: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2630 comments oshizu wrote: "Wooo, I can't wait to read this novella. I wonder if it will be narrated by Borne...."

That would be interesting. I love how Borne perceives the world.
When is everyone going to start it?

message 4: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1958 comments I’m still trying to get a copy of this book. Just when I thought I could do without buying anymore books, this lockdown happened and most libraries are either closed or the holds don’t come on time. 😕

message 5: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited May 27, 2020 06:04PM) (new)

oshizu | 4879 comments I'd thought to start this book right away in June, esp. since it's a novella. It's definitely a one-day book!

message 6: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2630 comments Trisha wrote: "I’m still trying to get a copy of this book. Just when I thought I could do without buying anymore books, this lockdown happened and most libraries are either closed or the holds don’t come on time. 😕"

Do you do ebooks at all? My library is rather small and has a much larger selection of digital books than physical so I usually have more luck there. This one though, I had to buy on kindle.

I may wait a week or so to start. I just started Acceptance because my hold on that just came through and it said "#1 on 0 copies" so I don't want to take the chance of letting it go and not getting it again. Since apparently I'm reading a copy that doesn't exist. Hopefully reading 2 Vandermeers so close to each other won't confuse me. I don't remember if it was said, but have you ladies read the Southern Reach series?

message 7: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1958 comments SarahKat wrote: "Trisha wrote: "I’m still trying to get a copy of this book. Just when I thought I could do without buying anymore books, this lockdown happened and most libraries are either closed or the holds don..."

I mostly do ebooks, however, I'm unable to find a copy to borrow. I'm not planning to buy unless necessary, but if nothing works out, I'll probably have to buy the Kindle edition too.

Haven't read the Southern Reach series, but its definitely in my TBR. How are you finding it? All I know is that it is amongst Vandermeer's most notable works.

message 8: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2630 comments I get that. I don't have the money or the space to buy all of the books I read. It astounds me the number of people who have like 12 bookshelves full of books. I mean I'd love that but jeez.

I loved Annihilation so much. I finished it in one sitting because I couldn't put it down. I wasn't a huge fan of the 2nd book. Not sure why. I've finally just picked up book 3 after finishing the first 2 in 2017. So far I'm liking it, but still not as much as the first.

message 9: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4879 comments This is my shortest Buddy Read book this month, so I'm starting it today.

message 10: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4879 comments My thoughts on The Strange Bird

(view spoiler)

Trisha, you're not missing out on much by not reading The Strange Bird, imo.

message 11: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2630 comments I just started tonight. Hopefully I'll get a chance to finish it tomorrow.

message 12: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1958 comments oshizu wrote: "My thoughts on The Strange Bird

I enjoyed this story a lot less than Book 1.
There was so much pain and suffering, unrelieved by any kind of hope. The only escape seemed to be memories of the past..."

That’s a relief! Then I’d probably not buy it.

PS: I read your spoiler, and I don’t think that’s really a spoiler!

message 13: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1958 comments SarahKat wrote: "I just started tonight. Hopefully I'll get a chance to finish it tomorrow."

Let’s see how you feel about it.

message 14: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2630 comments Yeah this was super f***** up. I apologize for the swearing, but it's all I could think most of the time reading it.

I thought the premise was interesting, and I liked VanderMeer's descriptions. But like you said oshizu, (view spoiler)

I do like that we got a little bit of additions to the world of Borne, but with some of the focus on the Magician I would have thought that character would be explained more, but no.

I think Dead Astronauts will be better since it's a full-length novel. And I think we will see some things in there that were in this. (The synopsis mentions a blue fox).

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.