2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2020 > Jacqui’s Big Hairy Audacious Goal - 50 in 2020

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacqui Farrell (new)

Jacqui Farrell | 10 comments I’ve just got back in to reading after a long gap where I completely lost my mojo and did other things. My goal for 2020 is 50 books as I turn 50 this year (seemed sensible to me). I’m already lagging behind a little as I’m working during lockdown but I intend to succeed and would love some encouragement along the way.

message 2: by Jacqui Farrell (new)

Jacqui Farrell | 10 comments Book 1 - Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - Gail Honeyman

I really enjoyed this book and sadly, could totally relate to it in part. I couldn’t help but think back to my 30th birthday when I was given a set of luggage as a gift - the same as in Bridget Jones’ diaries....
Reading this book at the start of the year was a brilliant move - it inspired me to do more, see more, get out more. Then we got lockdown....hmm....

message 3: by Jacqui Farrell (new)

Jacqui Farrell | 10 comments Book 2 - First S*** Version - Lisa Bean

Given that, I was newly inspired and have a vision planned for the next 5 years, I’ve followed Lisa for a while online, and I needed some motivation, I read her first book. It had the desired effect - anyone who needs a swift kick up the behind to start a venture should read this. It’s written by a woman who was at the bottom and is now taking it in thanks to several successful businesses. Plus she’s from the North East of England so kudos for that too.
I’m pleased to say that I have now started on the first rungs of my ‘passive income stream’ ladder - thanks to this book.

message 4: by Jacqui Farrell (new)

Jacqui Farrell | 10 comments Book 3 - In the Dream House by Carmen Maria Machado

This book was a recommendation and I’m so glad I acted on it. A very different writing style, a wonderful story and very therapeutic for me. A definite re-read at some point when I need it.

message 5: by Jacqui Farrell (new)

Jacqui Farrell | 10 comments Book 4 - The Flatshare by Beth O’Leary

I would never normally pick up a book like this but the synopsis intrigued me. 2 people sharing a flat who communicate via notes and post-it’s. Sounded like a dream cohabitation. I was so surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. Truthfully I did almost give up on it but after the first few chapters I was hooked and finished it in a day. Recommended as a light read and almost guaranteed to make you smile.

message 6: by Jacqui Farrell (new)

Jacqui Farrell | 10 comments Book 5 - The Light of the Fireflies - Paul Pen

One of those ‘Marmite’ books - some people have raved about it, others have hated it. I love books like that. Personally, I loved it.....Give it a go and make your own mind up. It stayed in my mind for a while and I guess, if you’re the type of person that over thinks things, it may well stay in yours too. It’s not the type of book that I would recommend to my mother but maybe some of the friends who like the darker side of life....

message 7: by Jacqui Farrell (new)

Jacqui Farrell | 10 comments Book 6 - Nothing to see here by Kevin Wilson

When a cover just grabs you and you have to find out more....this is one of those. Twins that spontaneously combust when they get upset or agitated - no harm done - but with a very high profile parent....they need to be kept ‘out of the way’. Yes it sounds far fetched but it’s actually not. It’s a heart warming story about the human spirit, kindness, unconditional love and ‘belonging’ - I can’t recommend it highly enough. I bought the Kindle version and had to buy the paperback to put on my shelf. Best book of the year so far.

message 8: by Jacqui Farrell (new)

Jacqui Farrell | 10 comments Book 7 - Lockdown by Peter May

I’m struggling, I’m struggling.....could be bad timing for me but this may be the first book of 2020 that I don’t finish....
Watch this space. If anyone can encourage me to stick with it please comment!

message 9: by Jacqui Farrell (new)

Jacqui Farrell | 10 comments And I’ve just noticed words missing from my posts - I look illiterate?! No way to edit?