readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Non-fiction on history of photography & key photographers

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rmtb) | 2 comments My partner has told me he’d be interested to read a book that looks at the lives of specific photographers & how they shaped photography. I think he means more in terms of visual developments than technical innovation (although obviously they can work together at times). Does such a book exist? Or any other recs along the same line? TIA ☺️

message 2: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 53 comments A World History of Photography, by Naomi Rosenblum admittedly does tackle more of the technical process from beginning to end than it does the photography itself. However, I read a review of it, which also says:

Exploring the diverse roles that photography has played in the communication of ideas, Dr. Rosenblum devotes special attention to topics such as portraiture, documentation, advertising, and photojournalism, and to the camera as a medium of personal artistic expression. Profiles are provided of individual photographers who made notable contributions to the medium or epitomized a certain style. Complementing the extensive illustrations woven into the text are seven in-depth albums of outstanding examples of portraiture, landscape, social and scientific documentation, color photography, and photojournalism.

So the entire book (which is also supposed to be kind of dry reading) may not be for you, but there may be some elements that would fulfill your requirements. I'll look for others as well.

message 3: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 53 comments Photography: The 50 Most Influential Photographers of All Time
by Chris Dickie

From reading the description of this book, it sounds more like it gives biographies and the significance of each individual photographer but doesn't actually show their WORK, which may not be what you wanted. But reading it could lead you to the individual photographers who particularly interest you...

message 4: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 53 comments Photographers A-Z, by Koetzle, Hans-Michael

Discover the most influential photographers of the last century and their finest monographs. Arranged alphabetically, this biographical encyclopedia covers the earliest representatives of classical Modernism right up to the present day, complete with book and magazines fascimiles.

message 5: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 53 comments 1001 photographs you must see in your lifetime, edited by Paul Lowe

A new generation, enabled by selfie sticks and social media, is being drawn to photography, and this is the perfect book to inspire and illuminate their appreciation of the full and rich history of this seminal art form and its many genres and techniques.
Award-winning photographer, critic, and educator Paul Lowe presents a carefully curated selection of the greatest still images--visually arresting, aesthetically complex, and historically significant--from the medium's earliest days to the present. Included are photographs from all over the globe, taken by both female and male photographers: famous iconic images, key signature works by notable photographers, and less familiar images that are nevertheless essential viewing.
From 1850 to the present, from daguerreotype to digital, this book embraces all genres--documentary, portrait, photojournalistic, and more--as it traces the development of photography to the present day. It is organized chronologically with text that accompanies each photograph providing historical context and technical details. Each work is indexed by artist and by title, making it easy to find specific works and the oeuvres of particular photographers throughout the volume. Whether a gift or a self-purchase, this guide to the history and practice of photography is a must for budding amateurs and experienced practitioners alike.

message 6: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 53 comments The way I found these books:

I went to the Los Angeles Public Library website, accessed their catalogue, and did two searches:

1. photography, history of
2. photographers, significant

So there may be more books available that aren't owned by LAPL, but these will probably give you quite a bit to work with. For the rest, I would use these more general reference books to pick out individual photographers whose work specifically interests you, and then look them up by name to see what's out there on their work.

message 7: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 53 comments The reason why I used a library catalog: Goodreads doesn't let you search in the same way. So if I put "photographers, significant" into the search box, I get no results. BUT, if you just put "photographers" into the search box, you get about 25 pages of them! And it certainly wouldn't hurt to browse through some of those, but it's a LOT of material to encompass.

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rmtb) | 2 comments Melliott wrote: "The reason why I used a library catalog: Goodreads doesn't let you search in the same way. So if I put "photographers, significant" into the search box, I get no results. BUT, if you just put "phot..."

Melliott sorry I'm so late to replying to this, I must've missed the notification, but thank you so much for these suggestions, I'll pass them on.