What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fantasy book. Girl was friends (and employee) with book store ownner in a society divided by magic users and normal people. Those who have no magic are segregated, poor and not allowed in certain areas.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carla (last edited May 26, 2020 02:04PM) (new)

Carla Ferracini | 7 comments I don't remember the summary of the book. Only the beginning which is in the title... I think there was also something about a magical bridge but I don't really remember why that was important. Girl might have gotten magic later in the book somehow.
Girl met her friend for the first time when she was a little girl coming back from the market with her mom. Her friend was already the book store keeper. They are both non magical. Books are expensive and the girl loves them despite being poor.
I think girl's dad have died after she learned how to read from him. She works at her friend's book store. She still have her mother but I don't remember if she has siblings.
They say something about a war or a disaster that happened long before the girl (main character) was born, which made society the way it is. Magicians got a grip on the situation.
I bought this book in an used books store in 2018 in Montreal, Canada (in English). I believe it was in the children's section. Might have been YA.
I believe the writer had middle eastern heritage and the book had some middle eastern influence.
The main character was a girl with what I thought was an Arabic name... Sounded exotic to me, but it may be a common name for middle eastern culture. I'm not sure.
I no longer have the book because I moved back to Brazil last year. It had a hard cover, dark blue, white letters, maybe with a touch of gold effect. I think the cover also had small white or light yellow flowers... At the time, the book didn't have a digital version at Amazon.
I'm sorry I can't remember more...

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinatome) | 28 comments Anisha_book_lover wrote: "A long shot, but maybe "Bridge to Terabithia" by Katherine Paterson?

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson"

I don't think that could be it. There's no book store, and no actual magic in that book.

message 3: by Carla (last edited May 26, 2020 09:34AM) (new)

Carla Ferracini | 7 comments Nope. That's not it... I also don't think "bridge" was in the title.
I'm pretty sure the writer was female but the main character didn't live underground.
A friend of mine suggested The Last Magician by Lisa Maxwell but it's not it.
The Last Magician (The Last Magician, #1) by Lisa Maxwell
The story of the book happens in a fantasy world.

message 4: by Carla (new)

Carla Ferracini | 7 comments I have been trying to remember more info about the story and now I'm in doubt if maybe instead of a bridge it was a barrier.
I mean... A barrier would make more sense in the context. A magical barrier protecting the nation of something.
But I still keep thinking of the bridge lol A magical bridge over a body of water and that is important for some reason and for the life of me I can't remember why!! :'(