What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's/YA novel, read around 2011/12, with a teenaged catholic female protagonist.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Edwards | 5 comments [[POSSIBLE SPOILER]] The main character makes a wish or something and a spirit of some kind follows her around until the wish is fulfilled. At one point she has a sleepover with her best friend who comes out as a lesbian to her, obviously with the main character being catholic this creates a conflict in which the girl goes to her priest and talks to him about it. During this interaction, the protag recounts a story in which her and her father see a gay couple walking through a park and her father makes a homophobic comment. [[[DEFINITE SPOILER]]] in the end the girl enchants all of her friends to kiss people at a school party and this fulfills her wish.

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16151 comments When did you read it?

How old is the girl in the story, teenager or a younger child?

message 3: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Edwards | 5 comments I read it around 2011/12/13, and the protagonist was still in school but either in her preteens or teenage years, she definitely wasn't a child or adult.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16151 comments Kinda reminds me of As You Wish, but it's the ex-boyfriend who's gay. I don't remember if anyone was Catholic.

message 5: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Edwards | 5 comments I don't think that's it because it was definitely a female character who was a lesbian.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16151 comments I just went through all the juvenile Catholic books I could find on Worldcat, and nada. You're sure she was Catholic and not Protestant?

Not too many books out there that mix religion and magic. The spirit that was following the MC around, was it like an angel or genie or ghost? Or a fairy godmother or something like that?

message 7: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Edwards | 5 comments I'm not necessarily sure if she was catholic or a different branch of Christianity, I remember there were a couple of scenes in which she went through confession. I'm not sure what kind of spiritual creature it was, but I don't think it was something that was summoned, I think that the creature was some kind of metaphorical rite of passage that lots of people experienced. Like it wasn't some secret thing it seemed to be public knowledge that these things existed.

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16151 comments My Wishful Thinking?

I can't tell if there's any religious aspect, though.

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16151 comments Bright Purple: Color Me Confused?

Not sure if there's any fantasy aspect.