What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Fictional - breaking away from strict religious family

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie (new)

Marie (marie123) | 51 comments I am in the middle of The Book of Essie by Meghan MacLean Weir which I found completely at random, and am so thankful for.

It is about the youngest daughter of a reality television family who capitalizes on being a tv perfect Christina family. But Essie's life isn't exactly what they show on tv.

Ideally, I would love to find another dark-side-of-religious-reality-tv kind of story. But since I have a sneaking suspicion this book might be one of a kind, I am also looking for recommendations that have the main character breaking away from a strict religious way of life and finding themselves.

message 2: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 243 comments The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds. If I am remembering correctly, there is not a specific break from the religion, but the book chronicles the main character's changing views on her religion and her life.

message 3: by ...cats? (new)

...cats? | 377 comments Fiction:
The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson

Nonfiction:
Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Sin Bravely by Maggie Rowe

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1529 comments Survivor is about a man who is the sole survivor of the mass suicide of the cult he was raised in. He briefly becomes famous for his unusual life story. It's a very dark book.

A Complicated Kindness is about a Mennonite teenager whose sister and mother have left the religion, and the main character is struggling with whether to leave herself.

For non fiction Educated is a great memoir about a woman who got away from her abusive Mormon family.

message 10: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 243 comments Aspects of The Outside World by Tova Mirvis.

message 11: by Marie (new)

Marie (marie123) | 51 comments I’m really excited to read these books! Thank you!