Old Books, New Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > July 2020 Nominations: Epistolary

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (last edited May 25, 2020 04:23PM) (new)

Elizabeth (cloaknquill) | 335 comments Mod
Nominations will begin June 8th.

July BOTM theme: Epistolary Novels

Popular classic epistolary novels we have already read are Dracula and Frankenstein. Epistolary novels date back to the historical beginnings of novels themselves. The original Epistolary form was through letters but has evolved to diary entries, newspaper clippings, radio broadcast and other documents. This particular format creates an intimate connection to the characters and gives dimension to events.

List of the previous books we have read for BOTM: Past BOTM's

Rules:
1. One book per person.
2. Book should follow the theme.
3. Poll will be set up when we reach 6 valid nominations.
4. Explain why you are choosing the book.
Please also include the original publishing year of your book choice.

*Reminder: Classic book must be +50 years old/prior to 1970*

message 2: by Daniel (last edited Jun 08, 2020 08:50AM) (new)

Daniel | 165 comments Mod
My choice for an epistolary novel is Shirley Jackson's Hangsaman (1951).

This novel is based on the real-life disappearance of a young female college student in the 1940s. The story is a good mixture of diary entries, as well as letters to her father. This has moments of dark humor and psychological deterioration. Shirley Jackson was ahead of her time with her themes and characters. This epistolary format amps up the suspense even more.

message 3: by Ankit (new)

Ankit Saxena | 2 comments The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Hope this suits the eligibility criteria.

This book is giving me chills. Coming-of-age novel, full of all the things one need to get connected. Friendship, fun, love, music; what else is needed? I suggest, of we can, we should go with this.

message 4: by Jon (new)

Jon | 397 comments I recommend 84, Charing Cross Road, by Helene Hanff. It is a blend of biography and epistolary novel and that blend that sounds fascinating to me.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Ankit wrote: "The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Hope this suits the eligibility criteria.

This book is giving me chills. Coming-of-age novel, full of all the things one need to get connected. Frie..."

Im sorry this does not qualify. Book nominations must be a classic; meaning published 50 years ago. Perks was published in 1999.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

I am going to nominate Dangerous Liasons by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos (1782).
Written through letters; love, death, revenge, drama, betrayal.
A great scandalous read.

message 7: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn  | 15 comments I am nominating The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (1859).

"The Woman in White famously opens with Walter Hartright's eerie encounter on a moonlit London road. Engaged as a drawing master to the beautiful Laura Fairlie, Walter is drawn into the sinister intrigues of Sir Percival Glyde and his "charming" friend Count Fosco, who has a taste for white mice, vanilla bonbons and poison.

Pursuing questions of identity and insanity along the paths and corridors of English country houses and the madhouse, The Woman in White is the first and most influential of the Victorian genre that combined Gothic horror with psychological realism."

I think this would be an interesting read and make for great discussion!

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Only one nomination left!

message 9: by Connie (new)

Connie Paradowski | 47 comments I would like to nominate The Screwtaoe Letters by CS Lewis, I read Becoming Mrs. Lewis earlier this year and realized I have never read anything by him, and think it is time.

message 10: by Elizabeth (last edited Jun 08, 2020 04:31PM) (new)

Nominations are now closed.

Below is the link to the poll which will be live at midnight June 9th EST.
Epistolary BOTM Poll

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.