What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA book about a kid growing watermelon, hypnotizing chickens, and various money making schemes.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (last edited May 25, 2020 04:58PM) (new)

Suzanne Gomes | 3 comments Ok I'm a bit hazy on the details and hope I'm not just mashing up several books together in my mind.

This is a book I read as a kid, so probably late 90's? May have been published earlier though.

It was about a boy. I think he was trying to make money on various schemes. He was definitely trying to grow watermelons. There was also something about hypnotizing chickens. I also feel there was something about a coon dog (but every time I google this I just get "where the red fern grows" - it was definitely a more lighthearted book than that!) Pretty sure he lived in the countryside, or at most in a small town.

In more uncertain details, I vaguely feel like his name was something like JB or BJ, and that he was quite tall which embarrassed him at school. There may have been some other siblings around, not sure about parents. I kind of think he needed to make money to support the family because the parents weren't around? Definitely have that vibe of an independent-spirited kids book.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33462 comments Mod
Suzanne, that's a good start. Please add more plot details to the topic header (title). We have thousands of YA book requests.

Click the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Gomes | 3 comments Nope, that's not it. Have definitely enjoyed some great Gordon Korman in my day though!! Thanks for the suggestion!

message 4: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1206 comments Just a guess: Melvin's Melons

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Gomes | 3 comments Hmmm... I don't recall any fantasy elements in this book. But my memory is admittedly vague so it seems like a possibility at least! Wish I could find a more detailed summary online... thanks for the tip!