Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Discussions and Questions > Darker more twisted BR

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 224 comments Any suggestions for bodice rippers that ended up being kinda dark? Yeah you’ve got your “normal” rapey, incest type troupes, but what about storylines that really threw you for a loop...like, totally didn’t see that coming.

message 2: by i r e n e (new)

i r e n e (irene_romance) | 82 comments So far, I honestly have to say both Robin Schone's The Lady's Tutor and Mary Jo Putney's Dearly Beloved! The books threw me for a loop. Although there were some hints, I really didn't expect the back story or the reveal to go there.

message 3: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 224 comments I've read both of those and YES...damn good books.

message 4: by Simona (new)

Simona (simonaw) | 36 comments well I wouldn't mind reading done of those "normal" rapey, incest type tropes. any suggestion Eliza?

message 5: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 224 comments You could try This Other Eden :)

message 6: by Simona (new)

Simona (simonaw) | 36 comments I was hoping for more of a list of recommendation. :)

message 7: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 224 comments Oh I’ve got a list! I just need to figure out how to get it to you!

message 8: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolineadair) | 116 comments Eliza wrote: "Oh I’ve got a list! I just need to figure out how to get it to you!"

Oh, I want a list too!!! Can you message it to me or email it?

message 9: by Jiha (new)

Jiha | 118 comments Me too. Lemonade by Nina Penacchi is kind of dark

message 10: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 224 comments Lemonade is literally my favorite book ever

message 11: by Jiha (new)

Jiha | 118 comments Eliza wrote: "Lemonade is literally my favorite book ever"

I loved it. The masterpiece with all dark themes and no equal was Stormfire nothing like this one

message 12: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolineadair) | 116 comments I have read Lemonade like six times. I love that book!

message 13: by Jiha (new)

Jiha | 118 comments Caroline wrote: "I have read Lemonade like six times. I love that book!"

Hay sit next to me and join the row. lol. Can you suggest something close? I know Lemonade was translated from Italian.

message 14: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 224 comments I wish her book Captain Swing would be translated

SWEETY (HATES ANGST & LOVES HAPPY ENDINGS) (sweetkat18xoxo) | 3 comments Eliza wrote: "Oh I’ve got a list! I just need to figure out how to get it to you!"

Can I get the list too?

message 16: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 224 comments Robin Schone writes beautiful books that definitely take you by surprise on how deep and dark they can get. I've personally never found anything to revival Lemonade...but I'm always looking.

message 17: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 224 comments I am working on compiling a list of the more controversial BR books. It's just a pain because my idea of controversial or dark isn't the same as some others. Not much bothers or offends me. I promise once I get it don't I'll send it out to y'all!

message 18: by i r e n e (new)

i r e n e (irene_romance) | 82 comments Eliza wrote: "I am working on compiling a list of the more controversial BR books. It's just a pain because my idea of controversial or dark isn't the same as some others. Not much bothers or offends me. I promi..."

I am so looking forward to what dark + twisted reads you put on that list!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

This Other Eden (other topics)
Lemonade (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robin Schone (other topics)