Play Book Tag discussion

May 2020: Comedy > Catch Me If You Can by Frank Abagnale – 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 1125 comments Frank Abagnale began his career as a forger and con-man when he was 16 years old. He then went on to pass himself off as a pilot, lawyer, sociology professor and pediatrician all before he was 21, when he switched to start producing counterfeit cheques. He was finally caught in France, and spent time in prisons in France, Sweden and the US before working with the FBI to help them recognise scammers. It really surprises me that Abagnale got away with all of this for a long as he did, especially because of his young age at the time. This was a very entertaining read, that read more like a thriller than non-fiction.

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited May 26, 2020 05:48PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5582 comments I agree. It’s an amazing story especially because of his age at the time. In the movie, the Tom Hanks character kept asking him. “How did you pass the bar exam.” According to the book it took three tries for him to pass, and I don’t think he ever admitted to cheating. Though, I think it would have been easy for him to create a fake ID for someone to take the test for him.

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6025 comments Well, Abagnale is a skilled liar and manipulator (by his own admission).... so I'm not certain how much of this memoir is really factual. Still, it's a hugely entertaining read, and I really liked it.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Well, Abagnale is a skilled liar and manipulator (by his own admission).... so I'm not certain how much of this memoir is really factual. Still, it's a hugely entertaining read, and I really liked it."

He claims that it is about 80% true. He admits that some things are exaggerated.