What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 1980-1995 YA novel featuring a man in a suit with bowler cap on cover. Boy is trapped in a grey alternate reality, and he is seeking to return to his world. It is *not* The Giver or the Goosebumps story.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Tiffin | 4 comments Any Ideas? I've scoured Newberry lists and bestsellers from the '80s, but no luck so far. The title might have been "The Man Who _____" or "The _____ Man."

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Tiffin | 4 comments Thanks very much, but unfortunately that doesn't look right. It's hard to describe, but the book I'm vaguely recalling had a dystopian feel, but not quite to the extent of phychosis.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Tiffin | 4 comments Unfortunately that's not it either. The book I have in mind was less psychological and more experiential. The person somehow got sent to this grey world, and he struggles to get back before losing his color altogether (I think).

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20295 comments How old is the boy in the story?

Is it definitely YA and not adult fiction?

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Tiffin | 4 comments Yes, it was YA. It had a sort of Flatland vibe to it, IIRC. If I remember more details, I will update this thread. It just came to mind over the weekend. Thank you for your help!

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20295 comments The only other ones I know of with a similar theme are Things Not Seen and The Last Invisible Boy, but those were both pubbed way too late.

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20295 comments Incognito is also about 5 years too late.