Dumbledore's *Reading* Army discussion

The Night Circus
This topic is about The Night Circus
Book of the Month Discussions > June 2020- The Night Circus

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tessa (new) - added it

Tessa Herondale~Carstairs (jessawessa) | 1136 comments Mod
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is the book that won the poll! We will be reading this in June, and hopefully you have enough time to get the book so you can participate in the discussion.

Aleena | 38 comments I read this book earlier this year and its honestly become one of my all time favourites :)

Nicola Michelle (nicolamichelle) | 101 comments Same. I absolutely love this book, it was so amazing 😍

message 4: by Bibliopaat (new) - added it

Bibliopaat You guys are getting my hopes up! Can't wait to start.

azure。*☾  (azure_dust) Mirjam wrote: "You guys are getting my hopes up! Can't wait to start." oooooh yay can't wait to start too!! :D

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) I dnf’d this book the first time I tried to read it but I may try again for this!

message 7: by Tessa (new) - added it

I hope you do!

message 8: by Tessa (new) - added it

We can start discussing this now!!

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) My main problem with the beginning is that it seemed very random? If that makes sense? Like two dudes who have nothing to do but raise ppl to compete in magical fights..?? I mean correct me if I’m wrong on this but it sounds weird??

Lucy Tonks | 636 comments Mod
it sounds, but i feel like this is adressed later in the book. i read this book last year and i loved it!

message 11: by Bibliopaat (new) - added it

Bibliopaat I finalllly recieved it. I don't know if it's me or the book but right now it makes me sleepy but I guess Im just tired. At least I hope it's that.

Elena, I agree with you. It all is random. Circus popping up. Baby popping up. Dudes making bets.

Im not a fan of historical stuff and adult fiction so Im not so sure anymore if if this book is for me. The writing is quite fancy at times and Im learning a lot of new words though xD. I don't yet understand where exactly is this going (crime? fantasy? just weird?) but Im at the veeeery beginning.

Elena, has it gotten better for you?
Lucy Tonks, what did you like about it? Is it something you can say without revealing spoilers or is it something we should just wait and see?
Has anyone else started it?

message 12: by Tessa (new) - added it

I will start it most likely today, if not, then tomorrow

mirjam, i feel like this is a book that you just have to wait and see. i can say that i really liked the overall story, i liked the characters and i thought that the end wrapped the story pretty well. and i can't really say more without getting into spoilers

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) Well I honestly don’t know if I’ll continue 😳
This book just really doesn’t seem like it has a set plot so far. and I don’t really think that the competition has any stakes that are that big. But who knows 🧐

message 15: by Aleena (last edited Jun 04, 2020 06:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aleena | 38 comments ☀︎Elena In Oz☀︎ wrote: "Well I honestly don’t know if I’ll continue 😳
This book just really doesn’t seem like it has a set plot so far. and I don’t really think that the competition has any stakes that are that big. But w..."

I know a lot of people found it too slow moving, but I personally prefer that 😁

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) Yeah, I’m good with slow moving plots, this is too slow for me though

message 17: by Tessa (new) - added it

Y'all the first piece of dialogue was "Well, fuck." I laughed so hard this is already entertaining

i think that's where i started getting hooked on the story lol

message 19: by Bibliopaat (new) - added it

Bibliopaat Tessa HC (onceuponabookworm) wrote: "Y'all the first piece of dialogue was "Well, fuck." I laughed so hard this is already entertaining"

That was very entertaining and surprising.
Im also finding this as a very slow read though. But I really like is the magic of the circus. I feel like thats somethine I expected Caraval but it didnt happen and now Im getting the full mystery and magic. I hope the author manages to keep it that way.

Gerardine  Betancourt  (geraldin13) I'm starting this soon and I'm so excited

azure。*☾  (azure_dust) I've started it, and I have to say I am very enjoying it so far, it has me hooked! Everything about this whole circus thing and competition is intriguing

message 22: by Tessa (new) - added it

This is so sloooowwww

message 23: by Bibliopaat (new) - added it

Bibliopaat Tessa HC (onceuponabookworm) wrote: "This is so sloooowwww"
Saaaaaame. Im in a total reading slump and it aint helping. I can feel the magic but... So sloooww.

i understand why you guys say its slow. i stuggled a little with the first 150 pages, but after that i flew through it (i think this book took me around 4 days to read)

message 25: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Riley | 3 comments I have previously tried to read this book but gave up after about 50 pages..

I am new here, and seeing it is book of month for the group, and the comment above I am going to try again and hopefully enjoy it a bit more! I really wanted to enjoy it first time around as I enjoyed the next book from this author.

message 26: by Tessa (new) - added it

I have officially dnfed it

azure。*☾  (azure_dust) It's pretty good it's just SLOW and I can see how that's problematic for some people. I think it's sort of the whole point of the book though to be slow and magical, and although I am enjoying this, I won't reread it.

message 28: by Bibliopaat (new) - added it

Bibliopaat It is true that a slow book doesn't necessarily equal being a bad book. All books don't have to be fast paced and thrilling. I can see how well and magically this is written and I am forgiving the slow pace but it definitely isn't something for me. But I'm still hanging on there cause the story itself seems beautiful.

Aleena | 38 comments Tessa HC (onceuponabookworm) wrote: "I have officially dnfed it"

:(

message 30: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Riley | 3 comments I am around 200 pages in now, and actually really enjoying it 2nd time round. I am enjoy the magic of the circus itself. Not sure about the competition at this stage and the point of it, but I guess that will become clearer? It's quite a nice read so far, once I got past the style of it.

message 31: by Bibliopaat (last edited Jun 18, 2020 12:07PM) (new) - added it

Bibliopaat The competition seems something that exists in the background it seems to me. But maybe it will blossom in the end. Im near half-way through and to me it seems a story about circus and dreams of performing artists. It's so slow I reallllly wanna dnf it but I like the story a lot and I wanna know it all.

Edit: I gave up. I wasnt even half way through and I just couldn't push myself through it. I still think its written well and the story is magical but the book is just for someone else.

Gerardine  Betancourt  (geraldin13) I'm really enjoying this book

message 33: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Riley | 3 comments I have finished it now, and in the end I did really enjoy it. I loved the magic within each tent, and the magic holding it together. l liked the story from the side of Bailey too. I don't think the ending was the best, though I enjoyed it overall

Gerardine  Betancourt  (geraldin13) i just finished the book and i really like love it☺️

Aleena | 38 comments Gerardine wrote: "i just finished the book and i really like love it☺️"

That's great!!