2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2020 > Navya's Reading Nook

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Navya (new)

Navya | 113 comments To organize 2020 challenges

message 2: by Navya (last edited Dec 28, 2020 10:16PM) (new)

Navya | 113 comments Reading Challenges for 2020

Annual

Goodreads 2020 Reading Challenge - 100 books (Challenge Completed 23 Dec)

Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge 2020: 24/24 Completed (Challenge Completed 10 Dec)
Adventurers Club - 2020: 10/10 Completed (+5/5 Completed) (Challenge completed 29 Oct)
Find Your Flight - 2020 : 12/12 Completed (Challenge completed 29 Dec)

Quarterly
Women of the World: 10/10 Completed (Challenge Completed 22 Sep)

message 3: by Navya (new)

Navya | 113 comments May 2020 Round Up

Read 10 books in May, 2 more than usual. It was a fairly good month - I enjoyed all the books I read and feel like I learned new things. COVID-19 is still ongoing, so relying more on digital books right now as I wait for libraries to open up again.

May also had my first re-read of 2020: The Palace of Illusions. It was a very different experience visiting it 8 years later. I am still not fond of re-reading, but it was definitely interesting.

Joined two new reading challenges: Adventures Club 2020 and Find Your Flight 2020 (one flight TBC). Also found and set up this member's corner.

Favourite Book of the Month: In the Dream House
If I had to let one go: The Sorrow Gondola

Total Books Read: 10
Her Body and Other Parties
The Slogan
The Missing Ingredient: The Curious Role of Time in Food and Flavour
The Sorrow Gondola
V for Vendetta
In the Dream House
The Book of Images
The Prince and the Dressmaker
The Palace of Illusions
Outline

Books Read for Bookclubs:2
Books Read for Challenges: 1
Challenge Tasks Completed: 2
Read Harder 2020: 1
Adventurers Club: 1

message 4: by Navya (last edited Jun 30, 2020 07:45AM) (new)

Navya | 113 comments June 2020 Round Up

Read 8 books for June, the usual numbers. Reading time felt a bit skewed this month - I finished some books very quickly and took ages with a few others.

This month was full of challenge reads and book club selections. However, I still managed to finish some books that I was topically interested in. I wanted to focus on books by Queer authors for pride month (4 books), as well as books by Black author and on issues of race prompted by the BLM protests (2 books).

Signed up for a Quarterly challenge from Jul-Sep - "Women of the World" with 10 books

Favourite Book of the Month: Invitation to Treat
If I had to let one go: The Rosie Project

Total Books Read: 8
Delhi Calm
Fashionopolis: The Price of Fast Fashion and the Future of Clothes
Notes on Camp
Invitation to Treat: The Eleanor Wong Trilogy
So You Want to Talk About Race
Shikhandi and Other Stories They Don't Tell You
The Rosie Project
Fabulous: The Rise of the Beautiful Eccentric

Books Read for Bookclubs: 4
Books Read for Challenges : 7
Challenge Tasks Completed : 7
Read Harder 2020: 2
Adventurers Club: 2
Find Your Flight 2020: 3

message 5: by Navya (last edited Jul 31, 2020 09:06AM) (new)

Navya | 113 comments July 2020 Round Up
Didn't get much reading done this month. There were other things occupying my time and, more generally, my heart wasn't in it much. Still, persisted with a few books I was keen on reading.

Started and failed to complete Ducks, Newburyport. Saving it for another day. Other than that, these were the reads for the month:

Favourite Book of the Month: A Darker Shade of Magic
If I had to let one go: Left to Their Own Devices

Total Books Read: 6
Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood (re-read)
A Darker Shade of Magic
The Four-Dimensional Human: Ways of Being in the Digital World
Delayed Rays of a Star
Through the Woods
Left to Their Own Devices: How Digital Natives Are Reshaping the American Dream

Books Read for Bookclubs: 2
Books Read for Challenges: 3
Challenge Tasks Completed: 4
Find Your Flight 2020: 2
Women of the World: 2

message 6: by Navya (last edited Aug 30, 2020 09:06AM) (new)

Navya | 113 comments August 2020 Round Up

Read 9 books, gearing up towards the end of the month. I really loved the books I read this month, with only few exceptions. The non-fiction reads stood out particularly, and I am having a difficult time deciding on a favourite. On the fiction side, I completed the Shades of Magic series, which was pretty great too.

Libraries are open again after COVID lock-down, and...it shows - all but one read this month was borrowed from the library.

Also completed the Adventurers Club challenge (yay!). Thinking of increasing the tasks set.

Favourite Book of the Month: Stoned/The Order of Time
If I had to let one go: Ponti

Total Books Read: 9
The No Recipe Cookbook: A Guide to Culinary Intelligence
A Gathering of Shadows
A Conjuring of Light
The Order of Time
Ponti
Stoned: Jewelry, Obsession, and How Desire Shapes the World
We Are On Our Own
My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness
The Book of Tea

Books Read for Bookclubs: 2
Books Read for Challenges: 5
Challenge Tasks Completed: 7
Women of the World: 5

message 7: by Navya (new)

Navya | 113 comments September 2020 Round Up

Read 8 books this month, and a few magazines which I am counting as one book in total. This month was a bit heavy on the non-fiction side, but all the books were varied and taught me a lot. Most of them were borrowed from the library and I am so glad that I can go back regularly now.

Went low on the book clubs reads this month, partially because I had read ahead last month and partially because I had already read some selections. On the other hand, challenges are heating up a bit. I finished the Women of the World challenge, and increased the goal for Adventures Club again (to 15). I have also started planning some self-challenges for next year. This is getting a little addictive :D

Favourite Book of the Month Trick Mirror
If I had to let one go: Hyperobjects

Total Books Read: 9
Hyperobjects: Philosophy and Ecology after the End of the WorldNotes on a Foreign Country: An American Abroad in a Post-American World
The Monocle/The New Yorker/Kinfolk
Posh Toast
Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion
How We Fight For Our Lives
The Yellow Wallpaper
How to Survive in the North
Afrofuturism: The World of Black Sci-Fi and Fantasy Culture

Books Read for Bookclubs: 1
Books Read for Challenges: 5
Challenge Tasks Completed: 8
Read Harder 2020: 2
Find Your Flight: 1
Women of the World: 3

message 8: by Navya (last edited Nov 01, 2020 01:04AM) (new)

Navya | 113 comments October 2020 Round Up

Read 10 books, and enjoyed most of them. I think I will remember a few reads from this month as being very impactful for me, all for different reasons. I read Pachinko, which has been on my TBR list for a very long time, for half a month and it was as good as I had hoped it to be. Digital Minimalism truly gave me a different way to look at my digital life. Severance rung a bit too true when it came to pandemic-management. Overall, a very memorable month.

The year is also coming to a close now, and I am working on finishing the yearly challenges. I finished Adventures Club this month (again) and will be wrapping the other ones soon as well. All of them lead me to pick up some interesting books I probably would not have otherwise.

I am also thinking about the reading plans for next year, particularly around reviewing and consolidating thoughts, as well as around self-created challenges. I definitely want to keep up the commitment to reading I had in 2020, even if the actual numbers vary.

Favourite Book of the Month: Pachinko
If I had to let one go: How to Do Nothing

The Good Immigrant
An Artist of the Floating World
Skip
Pachinko
Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
Pumpkinheads
Severance
Why I Am Not a Hindu
How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy
No Exit

Books Read for Bookclubs: 3
Books read for Challenges: 6
Challenge Tasks Completed: 8
Read Harder 2020: 3
Find Your Flight: 2
Adventurers Club: 3

message 9: by Navya (new)

Navya | 113 comments November 2020 Round Up

Read 10 books this month, but all short and medium reads. Didn't matter all that much - most of the books I read this month were great. There were a lot of books that I had picked up randomly from the library shelves. That made for a different reading experience than usual planning, in a good way. Thinking of making "Random Library Picks" a reading goal for next year.

Other challenges for 2021 as well as annual awards for 2020 books have started coming in, adding on to both my TBR pile as well as reading plans for next year. Genuinely stoked.

Favourite Book of the Month : Stones of the Sky
If I had to let one go: Less: A Visual Guide to Minimalism

The Big Ones: How Natural Disasters Have Shaped Us and What We Can Do about Them
Less: A Visual Guide to Minimalism
Stones of the Sky
She of the Mountains
The Adivasi Will Not Dance
A Room of One's Own
Funny Weather: Art in an Emergency
Gwan Anthology
On the Horizon
How To Be Happy

Books Read for Bookclubs: 1
Books Read for Challenges: 3
Challenge Tasks Completed: 3
Read Harder 2020: 3

message 10: by Navya (new)

Navya | 113 comments December 2020 Round Up

What a year of reading, capped by a good last month as well! Read 6 books this month, to finish my 100 books for 2020 as well as other challenges I had signed up for. The reads were interesting and informative (and long), but I feel I was mostly guided by the challenge prompts in picking the books for December. Not a bad thing at all - there were a few brilliant books I would have probably never picked up on my own.

I was also planning my reading year of 2021. Looking ahead was fun and it has me as hyped as I could be. Organizing my reading, which I started doing in 2020, has been rewarding so far. And I hope next year will be pretty much the same.

2020 was a turbulent year for me and the world, but reading was something that kept me grounded. Excited for the next year now - hoping for a better year overall and a even better reading one!

Favourite Book of the Month: My Year of Rest and Relaxation
If I had to let one go: The Wildings

Total Books Read: 6
Why I am a Hindu
My Year of Rest and Relaxation
The House in the Cerulean Sea
Delhi By Heart: Impressions of a Pakistani Traveller
The Wildings
Fully Automated Luxury Communism: A Manifesto

Books Read for Bookclubs:1
Books Read for Challenges:: 4
Challenge Tasks Completed: 4