2021 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2401 comments This thread is to discuss Pachinko by Min Jin Lee.

Pages: 496 pages

Length: 1 Month (June)

Participants: Irma, Sinisa

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

message 2: by Irma (new)

Irma Alam (irmaalam) | 144 comments This is going to be a long read! Hope I enjoy it!

message 3: by Sinisa (new)

Sinisa | 274 comments LOL well it is actually shorter then my current read but i hope I will enjoy it too. I put this on TBR after I read The Girl with Seven Names: A North Korean Defector’s Story, it was among suggested books, hope it is as good as that. Also reviews are pretty good so that is promising.

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1222 comments I thought this book was excellent read! Hope you both enjoy it. Although it is a bit long, it didn't feel long as I read it.

message 5: by Irma (new)

Irma Alam (irmaalam) | 144 comments Finished reading and liked it a lot. 4/5. I really liked Isak and wished the author spent more time telling us about his interactions with other people rather than what was inside his head.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanjaginev) | 4 comments The book is on hold. I should receive it in the next 2 weeks. I'm really excited! I listened to the "moms don't have time to read" podcast about this book, and it really captured and intrigued me. Can't wait!

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori (lorihayes-rich) | 21 comments I learned a lot from this book. Enjoyl

message 8: by Grace (new)

Grace Edwards | 56 comments I just started reading today! Some friends have been recommending it for awhile and my libby hold finally became available. Really looking forward to it.

message 9: by Sinisa (new)

Sinisa | 274 comments I have it ready and probably starting tomorrow. I plan to finish in 7-10 days.

@Sanja & @Grace
Glad to see people jumped in, the more the merrier!

Tnx a lot Lori & Lynn!

message 10: by Sinisa (new)

Sinisa | 274 comments Finished and it was good i gave it 4/5. Was hard to say something during reading and not spoil it because it is a linear story about few generations of one family. I didn't like ending in a sense I was kind of hopping for something more different for a different character too many times (With Isak, Kim, Noah, Hansu, Kyungi... ). But that was minor flaw book was great nevertheless.

Will recommend The Girl with Seven Names: A North Korean Defector’s Story once more. If you liked Pachinko you will love it.

message 11: by Irma (new)

Irma Alam (irmaalam) | 144 comments I saw the author's interview on YouTube and seemed like she wanted to tell the history of Koreans in Japan and fiction was a more engaging choice to tell the story. My heart bleeds for Isak.

message 12: by Grace (new)

Grace Edwards | 56 comments I have also finished this book and learned so much about the historical conflict between Japanese and Koreans.

(view spoiler)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.