2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The House of the Spirits
This topic is about The House of the Spirits
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > The House of the Spirits

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2835 comments This thread is to discuss The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende.

Pages: 448 pages

Length: 1 Month (June)

Participants: Ruthie, Sudha, Claire

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

Sudha | 62 comments Still have this book on hold at the library! Hoping I get it soon :)

message 3: by Ruthie (new) - added it

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Let me know when you do! I'm reading some of my other June books. I'll let you know when I start it.

Claire  (claire6452) | 691 comments I found a used copy on Amazon (I really miss my library!) and I'm about halfway through the third chapter. The characters are fascinating! I can see the story taking a lot of very interesting turns, based on what she's already presented.

Sudha | 62 comments Almost done with chapter 3! Agree, the characters are very interesting. I'm very invested in Clara's story. (view spoiler) lol.

Claire  (claire6452) | 691 comments Sudha wrote: "Almost done with chapter 3! Agree, the characters are very interesting. I'm very invested in Clara's story. [spoilers removed] lol."

LOL @ your spoiler, it's SO true!

message 7: by Ruthie (new) - added it

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments I’m wondering if I should continue this. Anyone know if it gets more upbeat? I’m barely in the beginning and I’m at Estaban’s part with all the girls in town and it’s hard to read... thinking it may not be my cup of tea

Sudha | 62 comments That part made my skin crawl. If I remember correctly, I think that part was only a short part of the novel. It moved on to talking about other characters afterwards.

You could skip past it without missing much.

Sudha | 62 comments Update: I'm at ch. 9 right now and really curious who the girl narrator is! (view spoiler).

Sudha | 62 comments @Ruthie, I've kept reading and it gets worse :( you may want to skip this book

message 11: by Ruthie (new) - added it

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Ok! Ya I'm going to DNF then. Not feeling in the mood to read this type of sad story

message 12: by Claire (last edited Jun 26, 2020 07:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Claire  (claire6452) | 691 comments This definitely not a happy story, but I don't see it as being that bad. It is a reflection of its time and palce.

(view spoiler)

Claire  (claire6452) | 691 comments I'm almost finished, just the last two chapters to go. I know they have to be action-packed, given what's happened in the previous two! (view spoiler)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.