2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Institute
This topic is about The Institute
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > The Institute

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3074 comments This thread is to discuss The Institute by Stephen King.

Pages: 561 pages

Length: 1 Month (June)

Participants: Trisha, Dominique, Eirelyn, Ed

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

message 2: by Rachael (last edited May 29, 2020 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3204 comments I read this a few months ago. It was my first full length Stephen King novel and (view spoiler)
The book description mentions the type of people who would go to the Institute. (view spoiler)

Enjoy your buddy read!

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1241 comments Thanks, Rachael! XD I'll wait to read your spoilers when I finish, haha.

message 4: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2225 comments Rachael wrote: "I read this a few months ago. It was my first full length Stephen King novel and [spoilers removed]
The book description mentions the type of people who would go to the Institute. [spoilers removed..."

Rachael, I accidentally read the spoilers! Thankfully, those weren't really spoilers! I'll need to read the book to answer your second spoiler. :)

message 5: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2225 comments When is everyone planning to start this one?

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3204 comments I was being very careful with my comments just in case.

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1241 comments My hold just came through, so I'll be starting very soon. Maybe today or tomorrow. :)

message 8: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2225 comments I’ve my copy handy, but I’ll start this a little later since I’ve committed to starting a few other shorter books before. Will look forward to your inputs, Eirelyn!

message 9: by Anneke (new) - added it

Anneke (herzballon) Oh, I want to join. I will read it in a german buddy-read-group - starting on june 16 - but I will love to hear your opinions.

message 10: by Eirelyn (last edited May 31, 2020 09:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1241 comments I just now started and am pleased to see that the chapters are super short. XD I tend to read a book faster when it has shorter chapters.

message 11: by Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (last edited Jun 08, 2020 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 636 comments Rachael wrote: "I read this a few months ago. It was my first full length Stephen King novel and [spoilers removed]
The book description mentions the type of people who would go to the Institute. [spoilers removed..."

They could round up all the kids from the Village of the Damned?

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1241 comments I'm through the first part (Night Knocker). It's a little slow getting going for me so far.

message 13: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2225 comments Eirelyn wrote: "I'm through the first part (Night Knocker). It's a little slow getting going for me so far."

Any further progress, Eirelyn? I’m counting on your opinion before I dive headlong into this one. Just went through the index and the structure of the chapters was so much like the disastrous Imaginary Friend that I freaked out, although I trust King too much, and I’m sure he won’t write something like that.

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1241 comments Trisha, I'm about to start the Shots for Dots chapter, so not too far in just yet. I know what you mean about Imaginary Friend flashbacks! Lol. I've only read 1 King book before this & it was only so-so for me, so I'm still a bit tentative right now. XD

message 15: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 09, 2020 09:22PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2225 comments Starting this today!

My ebook has 801 pages!!! 🤯

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1241 comments Wowza! XD Mine has 559. Not as crazy but still a bit of a whopper. I'm 20% of the way through now. About to start Ch. 10 in Shots for Dots.

I'm liking it a lot better now; although, I'm wondering how the 1st part (Night Knocker) relates to the rest of the story. I like Luke -- the book really gets into his character, (view spoiler).

Trisha, for me so far, it hasn't had that "weird for the sake of weird" aspect like Imaginary Friend. So that's a plus! XD

message 17: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 10, 2020 09:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2225 comments Eirelyn wrote: "Wowza! XD Mine has 559. Not as crazy but still a bit of a whopper. I'm 20% of the way through now. About to start Ch. 10 in Shots for Dots.

I'm liking it a lot better now; although, I'm wondering ..."

Same here, Eirelyn! It started out slow but it’s picking up! I finished about 30% of the book last night and stopped right before starting chapter 17 of ‘Maureen and Avery’. (view spoiler)

message 18: by Eirelyn (last edited Jun 11, 2020 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1241 comments Okay, so as someone with a Psych degree, I can't help but go on a little psychology-related rant here. lol Feel free to pass on by. I'll even put it behind a spoiler tag in case you all don't care to read about it. XD Also, there are minor spoilers if you're not through Ch. 14 of "Maureen and Avery" yet.

(view spoiler)

Little mistakes like this just kind of bug me while reading, so I felt the need to vent a bit. XD I was just going to put it in my status as I updated my reading progress instead, but it wouldn't allow enough characters for my wordy rant, lol.

message 19: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2225 comments Eirelyn wrote: "Okay, so as someone with a Psych degree, I can't help but go on a little psychology-related rant here. lol Feel free to pass on by. I'll even put it behind a spoiler tag in case you all don't care ..."

Thanks for pointing out the inaccuracy! If not for you, I'd have never known this. :|

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1241 comments Lol, I just had to get it off my chest. XD

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1241 comments I am about to start Ch. 1 of "Escape." I am enjoying it so far (but, omg, cringing at some of the stuff (view spoiler)). I'm really liking the character development, and I'm hoping there's (view spoiler)

message 22: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 12, 2020 12:46AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2225 comments I'm through 60% of the book now, and I'm missing King's usual style of writing. It could be because I've only read King's most accomplished works, not his recent ones - so I may not really have a taste of his current style of writing, perhaps! This book doesn't seem like him at all! Or let me say, this is clearly not the writing I've admired! Trust me, I've been trying to make myself hold onto the plot believing the best part is yet to come. But 60% of the book done, and not once have I felt a rush of adrenaline. The plot seemed promising at first, but I can't see justice being done to it. It's just FLAT! And DULL!

Read the following spoiler once you’ve crossed Chapter 20, section ‘Hell is waiting’. The Institute with its (view spoiler)

This book definitely lacks lustre!

message 23: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2225 comments Rachael wrote: "I read this a few months ago. It was my first full length Stephen King novel and [spoilers removed]

How about young Sherlock and Voldemort?

Maybe young Sheldon from the TV series too!

message 24: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 1 comments Wow so amazing guys🙂

message 25: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2225 comments Just finished! The last 30% was so much better than the rest of the book (for me). It was more (view spoiler)

I’ll rate this an average read, and now I’m off to find one of King’s acclaimed works to quench my craving for his writing. Once a fan, always a fan!

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1241 comments I'm avoiding the spoiler for now, but I'm glad to see that the book picked up for you! I'm enjoying it so far, so hopefully it will only continue to get better for me as well. :D

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1241 comments I just finished! The only other Stephen King book I've read is Cell, and I wasn't impressed. So, I was very pleased to find that I enjoyed this book way more!

I can't quote it, but I do remember 2 or 3 mentions throughout, basically with the idea that the kids trying to (view spoiler). I wish I could remember exactly what was said... I might try to find a mention, but...in 559 pages, that may be difficult & time-consuming. XD

Trisha, I do agree that Luke (view spoiler) I would've liked subtle mentions of that peppered in as well.

I can imagine that it being a different writing style to the King books you're used to would be disappointing. I really don't have much experience with Stephen King books to make a comparison, so I didn't have that issue. And I actually really enjoyed the writing style. I thought the characters were very well developed, and I liked that nothing felt rushed. And about the time I was ready for a "change in scenery," (view spoiler) So, I didn't feel like things dragged either.

There were some minor issues, but they didn't detract from my enjoyment very much. Overall, I liked this book a lot. I'm not sure what my rating will be yet. I need to sit with it for a bit as I just finished earlier today. :D

message 28: by Eirelyn (last edited Jun 28, 2020 10:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1241 comments Okay, so I managed to find a couple mentions of (view spoiler)

Just over halfway through the book, in Hell is Waiting Ch 5, there was this excerpt: (view spoiler)

At the very end of Hell is Here Ch. 20, when Luke & the others are (view spoiler)

Those were actually easier to find than I thought they'd be, thanks to Kindle's "Search" feature. :D

message 29: by Anneke (new) - added it

Anneke (herzballon) I´ve totally forgot to comment on the book till today. I finished "Maureen and Avery" today. Like the other books by King I´ve read it starts really slow. You get to know a lot about the characters and their "routines". At the moment there are two things that always apear in my mind:
1. How does Tim fit in this story?
2. What is this institute about?

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1241 comments Anneke, I had those same 2 questions as well. XD

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.