2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Ten Thousand Doors of January
This topic is about The Ten Thousand Doors of January
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > The Ten Thousand Doors of January

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

SarahKat | 3068 comments This thread is to discuss The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow.

Pages: 374 pages

Length: 1 Month (June)

Participants: Trisha, Dominique, Nicolas, oshizu

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1737 comments I will plan to join this one, if that's okay! :)

message 3: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2222 comments Lynn wrote: "I will plan to join this one, if that's okay! :)"

Absolutely! We’d love to have you! 😊

message 4: by Irma (new) - added it

Irma Alam (irmaalam) | 145 comments I am in!

message 5: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2222 comments Irma wrote: "I am in!"

Great! :)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1737 comments Picking up my copy tomorrow morning, but won't start reading for at least another week or longer. (I obviously have too many buddy reads ongoing in June to read them all at the beginning of the month!) :)

message 7: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2222 comments Lynn wrote: "Picking up my copy tomorrow morning, but won't start reading for at least another week or longer. (I obviously have too many buddy reads ongoing in June to read them all at the beginning of the mon..."

Same here, Lynn! I’ve signed up for too many (manageable though) buddy reads, so I will take my time to come to this one. Actually, we both are buddy-reading quite a few books together this month! 😍

message 8: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Jun 07, 2020 02:23PM) (new) - added it

oshizu | 5389 comments A warm welcome to new buddy readers! I'm so happy because I worry that I won't have much to add to the discussion. :S

I have only 3 Buddy Reads this month, which seems to be my max capacity due to my (over-)commitments to various reading challenges. But three darn good buddy reads, they are!

Will be keeping an eye peeled for when everyone else starts reading this book.

Eternally Bonkers (Shilpa) (eternally_bonkers) | 25 comments Hi! I would like to join this buddy read. Is it too late to join? :D Yet to buy the book, so probably will start reading this weekend.

message 10: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1737 comments Shilpa wrote: "Hi! I would like to join this buddy read. Is it too late to join? :D Yet to buy the book, so probably will start reading this weekend."

Never too late, as long as it is in the month! :) Welcome!

message 11: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1737 comments Trisha wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Picking up my copy tomorrow morning, but won't start reading for at least another week or longer. (I obviously have too many buddy reads ongoing in June to read them all at the beginni..."

YAY us! :)

message 12: by Irma (new) - added it

Irma Alam (irmaalam) | 145 comments Just started. It reminds me of the starless sea by Erin Morgenstern

message 13: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl Gilmore (cherylgilmore) | 5 comments I'm getting this book on Tuesday from the library, so I'd love to join in if I may?

message 14: by Eternally Bonkers (Shilpa) (last edited Jun 07, 2020 12:33AM) (new) - added it

Eternally Bonkers (Shilpa) (eternally_bonkers) | 25 comments Lynn wrote: "Shilpa wrote: "Hi! I would like to join this buddy read. Is it too late to join? :D Yet to buy the book, so probably will start reading this weekend."

Never too late, as long as it is in the month..."

Awesome, and thank you!

message 15: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra (sanjaginev) | 6 comments This book is on hold. Should be receiving hopefully in the next month. Looking forward to it! I really enjoyed The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern. This book was recommended to me after I finished The Starless Sea.

message 16: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - added it

oshizu | 5389 comments I'll be starting this book around Sunday.
How's everyone else doing?

message 17: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1737 comments oshizu wrote: "I'll be starting this book around Sunday.
How's everyone else doing?"

I will be starting tomorrow, Sunday, as well! :)

message 18: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2222 comments I'll start tomorrow. Looking forward to your inputs, ladies!

message 19: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 16, 2020 10:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2222 comments Sorry got late, just started! How are you people doing?

Edit:
1 chapter in, and I can say that I love love love the writing! It has an ineffably dreamy touch to it. As per my foresight, I’m going to really like this one.

message 20: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - added it

oshizu | 5389 comments Sorry, ladies! I'm taking a wee reading break but I've cleared my plate of all but this book so I'l be diving in soon. Probably tonight.

message 21: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2222 comments oshizu, you deserve a break! Take good rest and get back soon! 💆🏻‍♀️

message 22: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1737 comments oshizu wrote: "Sorry, ladies! I'm taking a wee reading break but I've cleared my plate of all but this book so I'l be diving in soon. Probably tonight."

No problem! I am taking a bit of a break myself and this one is next on my list. I'm overwhelmed with work deadlines right now and am in a bit of a book hangover from The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories. It was a good read, but rather intense and dense, IMO! :)

message 23: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - added it

oshizu | 5389 comments Thanks to you both!

Lynn, I'm a huge fan of the Chinese classic, The Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I read a three-volume Japanese-language version of it (not a direct translation) plus a 36-volume Japanese manga version of it. (Confession: I had to stop and read the manga version first because I couldn't keep track of all the characters in the book version).
What I'm getting at, though, is: would you like to read Ken Liu's The Grace of Kings as a buddy read in September or later? Just wondering. I've never read Liu's writing, only his translation of The Three-Body Problem...

message 24: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1737 comments oshizu wrote: "Thanks to you both!

Lynn, I'm a huge fan of the Chinese classic, The Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I read a three-volume Japanese-language version of it (not a direct translation) plus a 36-volume Japanese manga version of it. (Confession: I had to stop and read the manga version first because I couldn't keep track of all the characters in the book version).
What I'm getting at, though, is: would you like to read Ken Liu's The Grace of Kings as a buddy read in September or later? Just wondering. I've never read Liu's writing, only his translation of The Three-Body Problem..."

Yes. I had replied wherever you had commented that that sounded like a good plan! How about October? Would that work for you? And I really want to read The Three-Body Problem as well...sometime. Maybe after the first of the year.

message 25: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - added it

oshizu | 5389 comments October sounds great for Ken Liu's Grace of Kings!

message 26: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - added it

oshizu | 5389 comments So I read through the first chapter and, as I'd initially suspected, this book is not for me. :(

message 27: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2222 comments Haha, I was actually thinking that this book is one of those books which you’d either LOVE or DNF right away. There is no in-between for this one, which is so ironic since the book deals with the subject of in-between. Did you DNF it?

I’m through 60% and I am enjoying it! 😍

message 28: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - added it

oshizu | 5389 comments I have an exclusive DNF bookshelf on Goodreads, but I didn't shelve this book there.
I only switched it back to the "To-read" setting. Who knows? Maybe the book will appeal to me another time when I'm in a different reading mood.

message 29: by Irma (new) - added it

Irma Alam (irmaalam) | 145 comments I am not feeling this book either but reluctant to give up on a project.
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ

message 30: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1737 comments oshizu wrote: "So I read through the first chapter and, as I'd initially suspected, this book is not for me. :("

Uh-oh. I've had to work so much I still have not had a chance to start this. It is my weekend project beginning tomorrow morning! :)

message 31: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl Gilmore (cherylgilmore) | 5 comments I don't usually DNF a book, but I decided that unfortunately, I will for this one. Its not that it isn't written well, it just isn't for me, I think. I may pick it up again some other time and give it another try, but for now, I'd rather read other books.

message 32: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1737 comments I am finding this to be very interesting. Just 50 pages in, but looking forward to finishing it asap! :) I can see why some readers felt it was indescribable. Anxious to see how I feel once I finish it!

message 33: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2222 comments Lynn wrote: "I am finding this to be very interesting. Just 50 pages in, but looking forward to finishing it asap! :) I can see why some readers felt it was indescribable. Anxious to see how I feel once I finis..."

Fingers crossed!

message 34: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1737 comments Finished and loved it! I actually found portions of this book reminded me of The Night Circus and a bit of The Starless Sea. I found this story to be unique as a book within a book but also full of well-defined characters. The characters are complex whose interactions are complicated yet relatable. I found this to be a very compelling read.

message 35: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2222 comments Lynn wrote: "Finished and loved it! I actually found portions of this book reminded me of The Night Circus and a bit of The Starless Sea. I found this story to be unique as a book..."

So well-put! I loved it too, Lynn! I am praying that the story expands further into a sequel.

message 36: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1737 comments Trisha wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Finished and loved it! I actually found portions of this book reminded me of The Night Circus and a bit of The Starless Sea. I found this story to be uni...

So well-put! I loved it too, Lynn! I am praying that the story expands further into a sequel."

I thought the same thing!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.