2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > Daisy Jones & The Six

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2711 comments This thread is to discuss Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid.

Pages: 355 pages

Length: 1 Month (June)

Participants: Leeanne, Ruthie, Trisha, Skumaskot, Lynn

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

message 2: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 984 comments Hey y'all! My library hold for this one came through early and it was an older app so I wasn't able to delay the delivery of the book. I actually DNFed this book. The audiobook had a full cast and I thought that was really cool but I just couldn't get into the book it just wasn't my thing.

BUT, hope y'all like it and I'll pop back in to hear what you think.

message 3: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments Ruthie wrote: "Hey y'all! My library hold for this one came through early and it was an older app so I wasn't able to delay the delivery of the book. I actually DNFed this book. The audiobook had a full cast and ..."

Oops! I've already read a terrible book a week ago; just hoping I don't run into another one!

message 4: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 984 comments Trisha wrote: "Ruthie wrote: "Hey y'all! My library hold for this one came through early and it was an older app so I wasn't able to delay the delivery of the book. I actually DNFed this book. The audiobook had a..."

It wasn't terrible! I just couldn't get into it, it's probably the same type of problem like when I tried to read that other contemporary fiction with you, but I'm blanking on the name now.

message 5: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 984 comments What terrible book did you read a week ago?

message 6: by Irma (new)

Irma Alam (irmaalam) | 145 comments I will give this a go too. Has been sitting on my TBR pile forever.

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1446 comments Irma wrote: "I will give this a go too. Has been sitting on my TBR pile forever."

Great! I probably won't start reading this until the week of June 8th.

message 8: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited May 29, 2020 11:45PM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments Ruthie wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Ruthie wrote: "Hey y'all! My library hold for this one came through early and it was an older app so I wasn't able to delay the delivery of the book. I actually DNFed this book. The ..."

Ask Again, Yes? I remember you DNFing it.

message 9: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments Ruthie wrote: "What terrible book did you read a week ago?"

Imaginary Friend; I can't tell you how much I hated it. Gave me a headache for days!

message 10: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments Lynn wrote: "Irma wrote: "I will give this a go too. Has been sitting on my TBR pile forever."

Great! I probably won't start reading this until the week of June 8th."

I'll start around the same time, Lynn! Hopefully we'll be done with The Martian by then.

message 11: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 984 comments Trisha wrote: "Ruthie wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Ruthie wrote: "Hey y'all! My library hold for this one came through early and it was an older app so I wasn't able to delay the delivery of the book. I actually DNFed ..."

Yes! Ask Again yes! I'm starting to wonder if contemporary fiction isn't for me. Although I did read Normal People which is contemporary fiction at the beginning of May and I liked it!

message 12: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 984 comments Trisha wrote: "Ruthie wrote: "What terrible book did you read a week ago?"

Imaginary Friend; I can't tell you how much I hated it. Gave me a headache for days!"

Oh man! It stinks when you read a terrible book. I just read the synopsis, good to know you didn't like it. I'll steer clear too lol

message 13: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1446 comments Trisha wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Irma wrote: "I will give this a go too. Has been sitting on my TBR pile forever."

Great! I probably won't start reading this until the week of June 8th."

I'll start around the same time, Lynn! Hopefully we'll be done with The Martian by then...."

That is the plan! :)

message 14: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1446 comments Trisha wrote: "Ruthie wrote: "What terrible book did you read a week ago?"

Imaginary Friend; I can't tell you how much I hated it. Gave me a headache for days!"

Ah, that is classified as horror. Anything that has a horror tag I will not touch. Just the cover alone would make me very wary. It looks way too scary for a wuss such as myself! ;) At least now you know you don't like it. You can cross that one off your list! :)

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1446 comments Ruthie wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Ruthie wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Ruthie wrote: "Hey y'all! My library hold for this one came through early and it was an older app so I wasn't able to delay the delivery of the book.

Yes! Ask Again yes! I'm starting to wonder if contemporary fiction isn't for me. Although I did read Normal People which is contemporary fiction at the beginning of May and I liked it!"

I find contemporary fiction to be hit and miss for me as well...

message 16: by Carol-ann (new)

Carol-ann  Gibson (carolanns_books) | 46 comments Hey is it to late to join in this buddy read it's been on my TBR list for ages don't know why I haven't started it yet!

message 17: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1446 comments Carol-ann wrote: "Hey is it to late to join in this buddy read it's been on my TBR list for ages don't know why I haven't started it yet!"

Anyone can join at any time during the month, Carol! Welcome aboard! :)

message 18: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1446 comments I read the first 5 pages or so last night just as a preview before going to sleep. Oh, my! I cannot wait to read this. Will start it as soon as I finish The Martian, which I hope will happen by Friday at the latest! Whoo! Whoo!

Leeanne &#x1f4da;✨ I’ll be starting this next week, can’t wait to finally read it and it will be nice to get through another physical book as I’ve only been listening to audiobooks recently.

message 20: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 05, 2020 07:05AM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments Lynn wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Ruthie wrote: "What terrible book did you read a week ago?"

Ah, that is classi..."

I love horror, Lynn! But this book I’m talking about was downright stupid in the name of horror. It seemed to be too inspired from other prominent writers’ works. And weird for the sake of weird. 😟

message 21: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments Leeanne 📚✨ wrote: "I’ll be starting this next week, can’t wait to finally read it and it will be nice to get through another physical book as I’ve only been listening to audiobooks recently."

Glad to have you join us! 😊

message 22: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments Btw, I’m picking this up tomorrow!

message 23: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 05, 2020 07:09AM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments Ruthie wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Ruthie wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Ruthie wrote: "Hey y'all! My library hold for this one came through early and it was an older app so I wasn't able to delay the delivery of the book. I ..."

It’s not the genre, I guess. It’s just some books! I want to read Normal People too; had put it in my maybe-list of May reads, but couldn’t find the time. 😕

message 24: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 984 comments Trisha wrote: "Ruthie wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Ruthie wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Ruthie wrote: "Hey y'all! My library hold for this one came through early and it was an older app so I wasn't able to delay the delivery ..."

When you read it, let me know what you think!

message 25: by Irma (new)

Irma Alam (irmaalam) | 145 comments Read half of it. I have never read anything in this style before. I can feel the back and forth between perspectives and trying to imagine the scenes being good exercise for my frontal lobe ᕙ(͡°‿ ͡°)ᕗ

message 26: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 06, 2020 08:16PM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments Ruthie wrote: "When you read it, let me know what you think!"

I read 43% of the book yesterday in a single sitting; does that mean I’m liking it? 🤔 I do like the format of the book, tbh I don’t know what this kind of narration technically called - it’s like the manuscript of a documentary. However, I have an issue with the narrative changing from one POV character to another so often that I’m finding it hard to get attached to the characters. I’m in the chapter Aurora now, and at this point the narrative changes every second line. How am I supposed to feel for the characters if I do not have enough time to absorb their pain, or aspirations, or their craziness, etc.? It’s a bit frustrating! I’m also not particularly interested in (view spoiler)

I genuinely feel this would make a great tv series, and I got to know that a Amazon Video miniseries is already in progress. 😍

message 27: by Irma (new)

Irma Alam (irmaalam) | 145 comments Just finished it and my favorite quote is also a spoiler.

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments Irma wrote: "Just finished it and my favorite quote is also a spoiler.

[spoilers removed]"

I had to wait to see your spoiler! It's a lovely quote, and as you said, sums up the gist of the book!

message 29: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 08, 2020 04:39AM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments I finished too! Please find my review here.

I'd say that this book is a bit difficult to process in the beginning, but then grows on you; it just needs to be given some time. I really need to read The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo now.

message 30: by Carol-ann (new)

Carol-ann  Gibson (carolanns_books) | 46 comments Irma wrote: "Read half of it. I have never read anything in this style before. I can feel the back and forth between perspectives and trying to imagine the scenes being good exercise for my frontal lobe ᕙ(͡°‿ ͡°)ᕗ"

I've read about 25% and I feel the same way. At first I was unsure id like this style but I've warmed to it and just want to keep reading about everyone now.

message 31: by Carol-ann (new)

Carol-ann  Gibson (carolanns_books) | 46 comments Trisha wrote: "I finished too! Please find my review here.

I'd say that this book is a bit difficult to process in the beginning, but then grows on you; it just needs to be given some time. I really need to rea..."

Yes! I read the seven husband's of Evelyn Hugo last year! Brilliant book. I started watching Hollywood the other week and it reminded me so much of that book.
Ok back to Daisy Jones I go.

message 32: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments Carol-ann wrote: "Trisha wrote: "I finished too! Please find my review here.

I'd say that this book is a bit difficult to process in the beginning, but then grows on you; it just needs to be given some time. I rea..."

Wow! Can't wait to read it now!

message 33: by Carol-ann (new)

Carol-ann  Gibson (carolanns_books) | 46 comments brilliant review Trisha.

I finished the book on Sunday night it was brilliant and I really loved it after I got used to the different narrative styles. I will write the review this weekend

message 34: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments Carol-ann wrote: "brilliant review Trisha.

I finished the book on Sunday night it was brilliant and I really loved it after I got used to the different narrative styles. I will write the review this weekend"

Thanks Carol! I’ll look forward to your review. 😊

message 35: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 265 comments Trisha wrote: "I finished too! Please find my review here.

I'd say that this book is a bit difficult to process in the beginning, but then grows on you; it just needs to be given some time. I really need to rea..."

I loved The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, 5 stars for me. I've got Daisy Jones on my TBR pile.

message 36: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments Claire wrote: "Trisha wrote: "I finished too! Please find my review here.

I'd say that this book is a bit difficult to process in the beginning, but then grows on you; it just needs to be given some time. I rea..."

I hope you like Daisy Jones & The Six too. Will keep an eye out for your feedback! :)

message 37: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3807 comments I am super late to the party, but started reading this today. Looking forward to reading your spoilers and reviews once I am done :)

message 38: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments Ilona wrote: "I am super late to the party, but started reading this today. Looking forward to reading your spoilers and reviews once I am done :)"

I'll keep an eye out for your review, Ilona! :)

message 39: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 984 comments I like your review Trisha! I think it will be fun and more enjoyable for me in a show format! Glad you liked it!

message 40: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments Ruthie wrote: "I like your review Trisha! I think it will be fun and more enjoyable for me in a show format! Glad you liked it!"

Thanks Ruthie! I believe I’ll enjoy the show more as well. 😊

message 41: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1446 comments Almost 1/3 done and loving this!

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) | 1 comments So good! I loved this book when I read it. The style was odd, but the story was great.

message 43: by Lynn (last edited Jul 23, 2020 10:40AM) (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1446 comments I am dating myself, but this definitely brought back some memories from the 70's. :)

This was also a book for one of my IRL (now WebEx webinar meeting) book clubs this month. We just discussed it Sunday.

Interestingly, several of the book club members keep trying to relate this to Fleetwood Mac, but Reid stated specifically this was an outgrowth of her personal obsession with musical groups, particularly rock groups and was NOT based upon any one group. I found it delightful that it was so difficult for others to not try to tie this to one group. :)

We discussed (view spoiler)

I felt so sorry for Daisy, (view spoiler)

I loved the format of this book. I felt it made the text flow and I liked getting the individual "pictures" and then placing them into a cohesive narrative.

message 44: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments Lynn wrote: "I am dating myself, but this definitely brought back some memories from the 70's. :)

This was also a book for one of my IRL (now WebEx webinar meeting) book clubs this month. We just discussed it ..."

Lynn, can you have a look at your spoiler tags? I think you've missed something because I can't view your spoilers.

I LOVED the format of this book!!

Also, no idea who the Fleetwood Mac were - okay wait, I'm googling! ;)

message 45: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1446 comments Trisha wrote: "Lynn wrote: "I am dating myself, but this definitely brought back some memories from the 70's. :)

This was also a book for one of my IRL (now WebEx webinar meeting) book clubs this month. We just ..."

That's so weird! I checked the spoilers after posting...but now they aren't there. I sure hope I can remember what I was talking about!! ;) I've slept since then! :)

message 46: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1446 comments Trisha wrote: "Lynn wrote: "I am dating myself, but this definitely brought back some memories from the 70's. :)

This was also a book for one of my IRL (now WebEx webinar meeting) book clubs this month. We just ..."

Now try them. I recreated them. :)

message 47: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jul 23, 2020 10:57AM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1982 comments Haha, thanks!

On your take on Camila: (view spoiler)

Daisy:(view spoiler)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.