2022 Reading Challenge discussion

A Prayer for Owen Meany
This topic is about A Prayer for Owen Meany
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > A Prayer for Owen Meany

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2835 comments This thread is to discuss A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.

Pages: 637 pages

Length: 2 Months (June and July)

Participants: Cassie, Lindsay, Lynn, Sinisa

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

Sinisa | 332 comments I finished a previous book earlier so I am starting this today. This was on my TBR list since i have read The World According to Garp which was fantastic so having high hopes from this one too. Also i am betting there will be bears somewhere in this book.

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments Uhm...clears throat...I must locate my copy this weekend! :) I know I have it here...in the house...somewhere! :)

Sinisa | 332 comments @Lynn well you have plenty of time to find it, as i was just became aware, this buddy read is for 2 months :)
I just have few more books planed for June and decided to start earlier

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments Sinisa wrote: "@Lynn well you have plenty of time to find it, as i was just became aware, this buddy read is for 2 months :)
I just have few more books planed for June and decided to start earlier"

I do remember seeing that. However, I am planning to read it in June. Hopefully that first week/next week! :)

Sinisa | 332 comments I am about 65% done and even though it is long it is an easy read so it goes faster then i thought. So far it is a great coming of age story about two boys. There is two timelines and jumping to present is less attractive to me. Unfortunately so far no bears but there are some other animals involved. I loved all war/anti war stuff and politics segments but religion was confusing. I never clearly got all diversity of american congregations and it was boring part for me. The "CAPS LOCK" writing style is really annoying, it is almost i can hear it but i guess that makes it the perfect choice.

Sinisa | 332 comments I am finished and it was awesome. I do still like "World according to Garp" more but this was close second. I saw John Irving interview about Garp where he said he always know the ending and the beginning of that book and i feel with this one was the same. He always had the ending in mind. First 2/3 of book and ending were great but if i had to pick some flaw it was that last 1/3 of the book ( *minus ending ). It just fealth a bit boring compared to rest of the book. And also there is a movie filmed by this or partially by this, I am not shore which and Irving was not happy with it but i am planing to watch that too

Sinisa | 332 comments I watched movie also. It is called Simon Birch, apparently they changed Owens name I have no idea why they did that, and it was terrible. Nothing was like a book, they butchered this art for an awful script. I understand why Irving hated this pos

message 9: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Jun 24, 2020 10:12PM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2014 comments This topic has been moved to the July Buddy Reads folder.

message 10: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments I'm really sorry, but not going to be able to read this until July, I'm pretty sure. :(

message 11: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments I will be starting this tomorrow, Wednesday. Plan to finish over the weekend. :)

message 12: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments Still reading. Had to take a break. One of the first scenes (view spoiler) Back to it now and about 42 pages in. Why so much talk of religion? And so specific to the three "Christian" sects? Ugh. Trust this will continue to improve.

Sinisa | 332 comments Yeah I didn't like religion parts, was boring and confusing but politics part (I think it comes soon after) was awesome

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) | 11 comments I read this one for school, and it was okay. Not amazing, but not terrible either.

message 15: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments I have allowed myself to get distracted and read another book and am finishing up another and then will return to this one this evening. I just don't find myself drawn to continue reading it, but I am determined to finish it! :)

Sinisa | 332 comments I enjoyed it a lot reading it. I love how Irving structures his books. Just wondering have you two read something else from Irving that you liked more? I read this and Garp and looking for next one.

message 17: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments I read The Cider House Rules about 15 years ago and really liked it. I listened to Last Night in Twisted River and wasn't real impressed. The characters were just too "off the charts" for me...

Roxanne (roxannej) | 14 comments OMG! A Prayer for Owen Meany is my favourite book of all time!! I hope you're all enjoying it!

message 19: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments I am hoping to finish this up today. A day late, but better than never! 😀

message 20: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments Sinisa wrote: "Yeah I didn't like religion parts, was boring and confusing but politics part (I think it comes soon after) was awesome"

I agree. I did appreciate the political rants and cynicism! :)

message 21: by Lynn (last edited Aug 01, 2020 09:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments Finally finished. After a rough start with the first 200 pages or so I ended really appreciating why this book is referenced so often and why it has such a reputation as a classic! I am so glad I read it. Irving is amazing at switching back forth among timelines and yet making the book flow. I thought that was quite evident in this book. And he even skips around within each timeline. And this man's imagination! I mean...where does he come up with this stuff?!? :)

message 22: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments I was reminded of Chloe Benjamin's The Immortalists which I read in 2018. That concept of (view spoiler)

message 23: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments I do believe there are certain people who have hypersensitive awareness in more than just the conscious realm and are capable of perceiving more than the general population. And neuroscientists keep uncovering more and more evidence that while we sleep our brains actually keep processing, even to work out solutions for certain challenges we are experiencing. Which was quite a relief for me, since I have been known to awaken during the night or first thing in the morning with a ready-made solution in my consciousness. Glad to know that happens for others as well. And I think it is possible (view spoiler) I will say one thing...he was a brave little soul!

message 24: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments What about Owen being (view spoiler)

message 25: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments What was your reaction to the (view spoiler)

message 26: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments Owen's commitment to preparation was so impressive! (view spoiler) That was so sweet!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.