2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > July - The Solar System

Comments Showing 1-50 of 250 (250 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Rachael (last edited Jun 25, 2020 06:18AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3001 comments THE SOLAR SYSTEM
Duration: 1 July - 31 July 2020

This is your astronaut speaking. Welcome on board the 2020 Reading Challenge spaceship for a month long voyage through the solar system. We'll be stopping at the Sun and each planet which all have reading prompts. So, get your spacesuits on and post below if you want to be a passenger on our journey across the solar system.
5... 4... 3... 2... 1... Lift off!

1. The Sun is a yellow dwarf star with a surface temperature of 9932°F: Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover or a book involving heat or fire

2. Mercury is the smallest planet. Read a book where a main character is known for their small stature or a book with less than 150 pages

3. Venus is known as Earth's sister planet and rotates in the opposite direction to the other planets. Read a book about sisters or a book outside your comfort zone

4. Earth is the third planet from the sun.Read a book that is the third in a series or has three words in the title

5. Mars is named after the Roman God of War. Read a book about war or a book set in Italy

6. Jupiter is the largest planet with a strong magnetic field. Read a book with more than 500 pages or a book you've been drawn to recently

7. Saturn is known for its beautiful rings that orbit it and has the fastest winds of any other planet. Read a book containing a ring of some kind or a fast paced book

8. Uranus is also known as an ice giant. Read a book that is set in a cold/snowy/icy place or set mostly during winter

9. Neptune reflects blue light and is the planet that is farthest away from the Sun. Read a book with a shade of blue in the title or an unread book that has been on your shelf for more than 2 years

10. Pluto is no longer considered a planet in our solar system as it was reclassified as a dwarf planet in 2006 but we're still including it here on our trip! Read a book about a character missing out or being excluded from something or a book that is the last in a series

This challenge is based on ideas by Ashleigh and Jade Melody. Jade Melody will be leading it. Thanks!

message 2: by Jade Melody (last edited Jun 25, 2020 12:48PM) (new)

Jade Melody (jademelody) | 85 comments Hello and Welcome fellow Astronauts!
Thank you for joining us on our month long voyage through the solar system! I’m glad to have you aboard!

When signing up, Please let me know how may trips to outer space (books) you plan on making (reading)!
I hope we have a great month together!

Updating your progress
When posting your progress, please include your original (sign-up) message number plus the current progress using the format below:

Update to msg #xx: books read/books pledged

If you decide to drop out of the challenge, please don’t delete your original sign-up post.
Just update on this page letting me know you will no longer be joining us on our venture

You can state your goal in whatever terms you want! (books or prompts, etc)

Useful Information!
If you like a certain prompt, feel free to repeat it!
However, books read cannot be used for multiple prompts!

Ex.
Good ✅Book Name counts toward Saturn prompt
Bad ❌Book Name counts toward Saturn & Sun prompts

message 3: by Jade Melody (last edited Aug 05, 2020 08:36AM) (new)

Jade Melody (jademelody) | 85 comments 🚀Space Voyage Headquarters🛰

Astronauts on Board
🛰Audrey - Msg #23 0/5
🛰Kaie - Msg #24 0/3
🛰Suzanne - Msg #38 0/10
🛰Jennifer - Msg #40 0/10
🛰Dar - Msg #51-53 0/10
🛰Leticia - Msg #56 0/10?

Novice Space Traveler
🚀Ashley - Msg #25 7/8
🚀Kathleen - Msg #35 1/3
🚀Caits - Msg #90 1/4
🚀Jamie - Msg #166 3/10
🚀Marissa - Msg #31 7/10
🚀Library - Msg #34 9/10

Seasoned Space Guru
🪐Ziggy - Msg #19 5/2
🪐Regina - Msg #22 5/5
🪐Lisanne - Msg #5 12/6
🪐Carmen - Msg #14 10/10
🪐Treepwood - Msg #121 5/2
🪐SarahKat - Msg #12 6/6
🪐Carol - Msg #18 10/10
🪐Ashleigh - Msg #29 2/2
🪐Megan - Msg #45 6/5
🪐Mie - Msg #15 5/5
🪐Lynn - Msg #20 10/10
🪐Joanna - Msg #30 10/10
🪐Oshizu - Msg #9 10/10
🪐Ruth - Msg #44 10/10
🪐Jennifer - Msg #27 8/6
🪐Sue - Msg #55 6/6
🪐Alaina - Msg #133 20/20
🪐Alison - Msg #36 10/10
🪐Amy - Msg #32 7/5
🪐Patti - Msg #78 8/7
🪐Rebecca - Msg #17 28/20
🪐L a i n e y - Msg #144 8/8
🪐Martha - Msg #28 6/5
🪐Lucy - Msg #34 10/10
🪐Sunny - Msg #13 9/9
🪐JCPrewett - Msg #71 10/10
🪐Fadi - Msg #6 5/5?
🪐Crystal - Msg #21 4/3
🪐Nicole - Msg #41 10/6
🪐Rachael - Msg #4 4/4
🪐Sarah - Msg #37 10/10
🪐Nathalia - Msg #247 6/6
🪐Kelly - Msg #61 4/4
🪐TerryJane - Msg #8 28/20

message 4: by Rachael (last edited Jul 31, 2020 01:38AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3001 comments I'm getting my space suit on and exploring:
✔️ The Sun - Read a book involving heat/fire: Paper and Fire finished 17 July, ⭐⭐⭐⭐ with review
✔️Earth - A book that is the third in a series (which also has three words in the title): Ash and Quill finished 22 July, ⭐⭐⭐⭐
✔️ Neptune - An unread book that has been on my shelf for more than 2 years: This Savage Song finished 7 July, ⭐⭐⭐⭐
✔️ Pluto - A book that is the last in a series: Sword and Pen finished 31 July, ⭐⭐⭐⭐

COMPLETED: 4/4

message 5: by Lisanne (last edited Jul 27, 2020 03:23AM) (new)

Lisanne (wolffhoofd) | 97 comments Ground control to Major Jade,
Commencing countdown, engines on 👩‍🚀💫

Plan to take my spaceship to at least six different planet prompts.

Completed: 12/6

🚀 Mercury: Read a book with less than 150 pages
✔️ The Tales of Beedle the Bard - 3 ★

🚀 Venus: Read a book about sisters or a book outside your comfort zone
✔️ My Sister, the Serial Killer (about sisters) - 2.5 ★
✔️ The Poet X (outside my comfort zone) - 4.8 ★
✔️ Pride and Prejudice (about sisters) - 5 ★

🚀 Earth: Read a book that's third in a series or has three words in the title
✔️ Long Way Down (three words in title) - 4 ★
✔️ A Reaper at the Gates (third in series) - 4.5 ★

🚀 Mars: Read a book about war
✔️ The Handmaid's Tale - 4.5 ★

🚀 Jupiter: Read a book with more than 500 pages
✔️ Strange the Dreamer - 5 ★

🚀 Saturn: Read a fast paced book
✔️ The Testaments - 3.5 ★

🚀 Neptune: Read an unread book that's been on your shelf for more than 2 years
✔️ The Shock of the Fall (been on my shelf for more than 5 years even...) - 4.5 ★

🚀 Pluto: Read a book about a character missing out or being excluded from something
✔️ Hidden Figures - 3.5 ★
✔️ Where the Crawdads Sing - 4.5 ★

message 6: by Fadi (last edited Jul 31, 2020 01:25AM) (new)

Fadi Kharoufeh (fadireads) | 67 comments Calling all aliens across the universe:
I will be visiting , the sun, Mercury, Venus and Saturn. Leaving from Earth all throughout July 2020.

Progress: 5/5: Challenge Completed

1. The Sun: Read a book involving heat or fire
The Fire Next Time

2. Mercury: read a book with less than 150 pages
Binti- 96 pages

3. Venus: Read a book outside your comfort zone
Tar Baby

4. Earth: has three words in the title
The Night Masquerade

7. Saturn: fast paced book
Spare Room

message 7: by Jade Melody (new)

Jade Melody (jademelody) | 85 comments Thank you Rachael, Lisanne and Fadi for joining!!

I see a lot of good books in your guys' picks!

message 8: by TerryJane, Challenges (last edited Jul 31, 2020 09:08PM) (new)

TerryJane | 988 comments THE SOLAR SYSTEM - Monthly Challenge
Duration: July 1-31, 2020
Progress: 28/20 -- COMPLETE

1. The Sun is a yellow dwarf star with a surface temperature of 9932°F. Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover or a book involving heat or fire.
🌞 A Burning
🌞 Foundation
🌞 How We'll Live on Mars

2. Mercury is the smallest planet. Read a book where a main character is known for their small stature or a book with less than 150 pages.
🌞 Cinderella
🌞 Snow White
🌞 Hansel and Gretel
🌞 Little Red Riding Hood
🌞 Sleeping Beauty
🌞 Death and Night
🌞 Torpedoed: The True Story of the World War II Sinking of "The Children's Ship"
🌞 Cinderella, Rumpelstiltskin & Other Stories

3. Venus is known as Earth's sister planet and rotates in the opposite direction to the other planets. Read a book about sisters or a book outside your comfort zone.
🌞 My Sister, the Serial Killer
🌞 Disappearing Earth
🌞 Searching for Sylvie Lee

4. Earth is the third planet from the sun. Read a book that is the third in a series or has three words in the title.
🌞 Love and Ruin
🌞 A Crown of Wishes

5. Mars is named after the Roman God of War. Read a book about war or a book set in Italy.
🌞 The House at the Edge of Night

6. Jupiter is the largest planet with a strong magnetic field. Read a book with more than 500 pages or a book you've been drawn to recently.
🌞 The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
🌞 Foundation and Empire

7. Saturn is known for its beautiful rings that orbit it and has the fastest winds of any other planet. Read a book containing a ring of some kind or a fast paced book.
🌞 The Last Woman in the Forest
🌞 Star-Touched Stories

8. Uranus is also known as an ice giant. Read a book that is set in a cold/snowy/icy place or set mostly during winter.
🌞 The Ice Princess

9. Neptune reflects blue light and is the planet that is farthest away from the Sun. Read a book with a shade of blue in the title or an unread book that has been on your shelf for more than 2 years.
🌞 What Alice Forgot
🌞 Red, White & Royal Blue

10. Pluto is no longer considered a planet in our solar system as it was reclassified as a dwarf planet in 2006 but we're still including it here on our trip! Read a book about a character missing out or being excluded from something or a book that is the last in a series.
🌞 All the Ever Afters: The Untold Story of Cinderella's Stepmother
🌞 The Astonishing Color of After
🌞 Into White
🌞 The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek

message 9: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Jul 21, 2020 07:41PM) (new)

oshizu | 4925 comments Space Commander Jade, please sign me up for travel to all 10 destinations.
Please confirm whether you want your fleet to state its individual goals in terms of destinations or books.

Progress: 10/10 Challenge completed!

✔️1.The Sun. Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover.
Conviction by Denise Mina

✔️2. Mercury. Read a book with less than 150 pages. Woman at Point Zero (142 pages)

✔️3. Venus. Read a book outside your comfort zone. Dead Astronauts

✔️4. Earth. Read a book that has three words in the title. Dead Man's Island

✔️5. Mars. Read a book about war. Empty Hearts

✔️6. Jupiter. Read a book you've been drawn to recently. Artemis

✔️7. Saturn. Read a book containing a ring or some kind or a fast paced book.
Exit Strategy

✔️8. Uranus. Read a book that is set in a cold/snowy/icy place.
Eva's Eye (Norway)

✔️9. Neptune. Read an unread book that has been on your shelf for more than 2 years
The Lonesome Bodybuilder

✔️10. Pluto. Read a book that is the last in a series
Revenant Gun (The Machineries of Empire, Book 3)

My planning post

message 10: by Jade Melody (new)

Jade Melody (jademelody) | 85 comments oshizu wrote: "Space Commander Jade, please sign me up for travel to all 10 destinations.
Please confirm whether you want your fleet to state its individual goals in terms of destinations or books.

Progress: 0/..."

Welcome aboard! I've added that fleet can state their individual goals in any terms they would like! Also, you commented twice, which comment would you like me to link above in the Space Voyage HQ?

message 11: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Jun 25, 2020 10:18AM) (new)

oshizu | 4925 comments Jade Melody wrote: "oshizu wrote: "which comment would you like me to link above in the Space Voyage HQ?"

Message #9, please. Thank you!
(I deleted my duplicate comment soon after I posted it, since nobody else had posted after me at the time so I wouldn't be skewing the message #s on your participants list.)

message 12: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (last edited Jul 17, 2020 11:06AM) (new)

SarahKat | 2671 comments I would like to travel to 6 celestial bodies please. I'm not sure which ones yet! I will go where the (lack of) wind takes me :)

Updated 6/6

1. The Sun is a yellow dwarf star with a surface temperature of 9932°F: Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover or a book involving heat or fire - Recursion by Blake Crouch

2. Mercury is the smallest planet. Read a book where a main character is known for their small stature or a book with less than 150 pages - The Homecoming by Ray Bradbury (56 pages)

3. Venus is known as Earth's sister planet and rotates in the opposite direction to the other planets. Read a book about sisters or a book outside your comfort zone - A Heart So Fierce and Broken by Brigid Kemmerer (sisters)

4. Earth is the third planet from the sun.Read a book that is the third in a series or has three words in the title - Force of Nature by Jane Harper

5. Mars is named after the Roman God of War. Read a book about war or a book set in Italy - A Wonderful World: The End of Times by S.T. Rogers

7. Saturn is known for its beautiful rings that orbit it and has the fastest winds of any other planet. Read a book containing a ring of some kind or a fast paced book - Wishtree by Katherine Applegate- contains rings (of tree)

10. Pluto is no longer considered a planet in our solar system as it was reclassified as a dwarf planet in 2006 but we're still including it here on our trip! Read a book about a character missing out or being excluded from something or a book that is the last in a series - Dead Astronauts by Jeff VanderMeer (last in series)

Some possibilities

message 13: by Sunny (last edited Jul 29, 2020 11:02AM) (new)

Sunny | 1296 comments Space Commander J: I will be traveling to all 10 destinations.

Cancelled 1 destination on July 17th.

Progress 9/9

🚀1. Read a book involving fire Firestarter

🚀2. Read a book with less than a 150 pages Uncharted Territory

🚀3. Read a book about sisters In This Our Life

🚀4. Read a book that is the third in a series Even Cat Sitters Get the Blues

🚀5. Read a book about war Blow, Bugles, Blow

🚀7. Read a fast paced book The Maze Runner

🚀8. Read a book set mostly during winter Come Winter

🚀9. Read a book that has been on your shelf for more than 2 years Company Aytch or a Side Show of the Big Show: A Memoir of the Civil War

🚀10. Read a book that is the last in a series The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers

message 14: by Carmen (last edited Jul 15, 2020 12:22PM) (new)

Carmen | 3957 comments Space Commander Jade, count me in for all the 10 missions!

To infinity and beyond! 👩‍🚀👽👾

PROGRESS: 10/10 🌠

❎1. The Sun is a yellow dwarf star with a surface temperature of 9932°F: Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover or a book involving heat or fire
Petals of Blood by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o Petals of Blood (Red cover)✔

❎2. Mercury is the smallest planet. Read a book where a main character is known for their small stature or a book with less than 150 pages
Snow, Glass, Apples by Neil Gaiman Snow, Glass, Apples (less tan 150 pages: 64 pages)✔

❎3. Venus is known as Earth's sister planet and rotates in the opposite direction to the other planets. Read a book about sisters or a book outside your comfort zone
The House at Sugar Beach by Helene Cooper The House at Sugar Beach (Sisters)✔

❎4. Earth is the third planet from the sun.Read a book that is the third in a series or has three words in the title
My Fathers' Daughter A Story of Family and Belonging by Hannah Pool My Fathers' Daughter (Three words title)✔

❎5. Mars is named after the Roman God of War. Read a book about war or a book set in Italy
Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus The Classic Guide to Understanding the Opposite Sex by John Gray Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus: The Classic Guide to Understanding the Opposite Sex (The "battle" of the sexes)✔

❎6. Jupiter is the largest planet with a strong magnetic field. Read a book with more than 500 pages or a book you've been drawn to recently
The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty The Husband's Secret (more than 500 pages)✔

❎7. Saturn is known for its beautiful rings that orbit it and has the fastest winds of any other planet. Read a book containing a ring of some kind or a fast paced book
Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers (Red Dwarf #1) by Grant Naylor Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers

❎8. Uranus is also known as an ice giant. Read a book that is set in a cold/snowy/icy place or set mostly during Winter
The Clock Strikes Twelve (Miss Silver, Book 7) by Patricia Wentworth The Clock Strikes Twelve (Set in Winter)✔

❎9. Neptune reflects blue light and is the planet that is farthest away from the Sun. Read a book with a shade of blue in the title or an unread book that has been on your shelf for more than 2 years
Eva Luna by Isabel Allende Eva Luna (on my shelf for more than 2 years)✔

❎10. Pluto is no longer considered a planet in our solar system as it was reclassified as a dwarf planet in 2006 but we're still including it here on our trip! Read a book about a character missing out or being excluded from something or a book that is the last in a series
The Big Kahuna (Fox and O'Hare #6) by Janet Evanovich The Big Kahuna (last in a series, for now)

message 15: by Mie (last edited Jul 20, 2020 04:35AM) (new)

Mie | 1875 comments Sounding good! I would like to join for 5 planets.

5/5 - COMPLETE ✔️

📗 1. The Sun. Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover or a book involving heat or fire - Rubbernecker

📗 3. Venus. Read a book about sisters or a book outside your comfort zone - Little House on the Prairie

📗 5. Mars. Read a book about war or a book set in Italy - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

📗 6. Jupiter. Read a book with more than 500 pages or a book you've been drawn to recently - The Olive Tree

📗 7. Saturn. Read a book containing a ring of some kind or a fast paced book - The Accomplice

message 16: by Jade Melody (new)

Jade Melody (jademelody) | 85 comments Crazy to think we already have nine astronauts aboard! Thank you all for joining! :D

message 17: by Rebecca (last edited Jul 31, 2020 11:39AM) (new)

Rebecca Ray | 436 comments I think I'm going to attempt to blast off to ten planets on this voyage. Those planets are going to be determined soon! I'm too much of a mood reader to predetermine the destinations yet.

Progress: 11/10

1. Sun--Red Cover: Knock Three Times
2. Mercury--Short Main Character: American Demon (Jenks)
3. Venus--Book Outside Comfort Zone: Rediscipling the White Church: From Cheap Diversity to True Solidarity
4. Earth--Three Word Title: Bears Behaving Badly
5. Mars--Book About War 1984
6. Jupiter: Book I've Been Drawn to Recently: Glass Houses
7. Saturn--Fast Paced Book: Kingdom of the Blind
Book Containing a Ring: Not Like the Movies
8. Uranus--Cold Setting A Great Reckoning
9. Neptune: Owned More Than Two Years: Letters to a Diminished Church: Passionate Arguments for the Relevance of Christian Doctrine
10 Pluto: Last Book in Series: A Better Man

message 18: by Carol (last edited Jul 17, 2020 03:59PM) (new)

Carol Palmer | 254 comments I'm joining and will go for 10 books/planets:

progress: 10/10

X 1. The Sun- Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover - yellow-orange on cover - Tamam Shud by Kerry Greenwood - finished 7/5/20

X 2. Mercury - a book with less than 150 pages - 46 - Gringa: The Beast of Mexico by Eve Rabi - finished 7/6/20

X 3. Venus - Read a book about sisters - the Bennett sisters - Death Comes to Pemberley by P D James - finished 7/4/20

X 4. Earth - has three words in the title - A Plain Death by Amanda Flowers - finished 7/13/20

X 5. Mars - Read a book about war - WWII - Solomon Islanders in World War II: An Indigenous Perspective by Anna Annie Kwai - finished 7/14/20

X 6. Jupiter - a book you've been drawn to recently - I'm drawn to finishing my Listopia books - Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote - finished 7/7/20

X 7. Saturn - Read a book containing a ring of some kind - earring made in a ring shape - Eternity Ring by Patricia Wentworth - finished 7/3/20

X 8. Uranus - Read a book that is set in a cold/snowy/icy place - Antarctica - The Endurance by Caroline Alexander - finished 7/17/20

X 9. Neptune - an unread book that has been on your shelf for more than 2 years - since April 2017 - Mother Knows Best by Netta Newbound - finished 7/11/20

X 10. Pluto - a book that is the last in a series - The Unkindest Cut by Honor Hartman - finished 7/15/20

message 19: by Ziggy (last edited Jul 18, 2020 01:27PM) (new)

Ziggy | 917 comments It’s been a while since I participated on a challenge. I’m going to start with two but may do more.

Progress 5/2 completed

✔️The Sun is a yellow dwarf star with a surface temperature of 9932°F: Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover or a book involving heat or fire- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 🌞🌞🌞🌞 yellow cover

✔️Mercury is the smallest planet. Read a book where a main character is known for their small stature or a book with less than 150 pages The Ordinary Princess 🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀 less than 150 pages

Extra Books:

✔️Venus is known as Earth's sister planet and rotates in the opposite direction to the other planets. Read a book about sisters or a book outside your comfort zone Kopp Sisters on the March 🌎🌎🌎

✔️Earth is the third planet from the sun.Read a book that is the third in a series or has three words in the title. Iron Kissed 🚀🚀🚀. Third book in series
✔️5. Mars is named after the Roman God of War. Read a book about war or a book set in Italy. All the Light We Cannot See 🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀

message 20: by Lynn (last edited Jul 28, 2020 06:19PM) (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1443 comments THE SOLAR SYSTEM
Duration: 1 July - 31 July 2020

This is your astronaut speaking. Welcome on board the 2020 Reading Challenge spaceship for a month long voyage through the solar system. We'll be stopping at the Sun and each planet which all have reading prompts. So, get your spacesuits on and post below if you want to be a passenger on our journey across the solar system.

This is so apropos since I have been listening to Mary Robinette Kowal narrate her third book in the Lady Astronaut series, The Relentless Moon!

13/10 as of July 28
Let's see how many more I can add by July 31!

✔️1. The Sun is a yellow dwarf star with a surface temperature of 9932°F: Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover or a book involving heat or fire.
The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2) by Helen HoangThe Bride Test
(The Kiss Quotient #2) by Helen Hoang
July 15 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Library Book by Susan Orlean The Library Book

✔️2. Mercury is the smallest planet. Read a book where a main character is known for their small stature or a book with less than 150 pages.
Chronicle of a Death Foretold
by Gabriel García Márquez
July 4 ⭐️
Brave New World Revisited
The Boy Who Owned the School

✔️3. Venus is known as Earth's sister planet and rotates in the opposite direction to the other planets. Read a book about sisters or a book outside your comfort zone.
Amsterdam: A brief life of the city
by Geert Mak
Straight history of a place is outside my comfort zone to a degree, I rarely read anything like this.
July 15 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Honor Girl: A Graphic Memoir

✔️4. Earth is the third planet from the sun. Read a book that is the third in a series or has three words in the title.
The Calculating Stars
(Lady Astronaut #1) by Mary Robinette Kowal
July 28 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Fated Sky
The Relentless Moon

5. Mars is named after the Roman God of War. Read a book about war or a book set in Italy.
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

✔️6. Jupiter is the largest planet with a strong magnetic field. Read a book with more than 500 pages or a book you've been drawn to recently.
Crossed Bones
(Sarah Booth Delaney #4) by Carolyn Haines
July 9 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
✔️ Love, Stargirl (Stargirl #2) by Jerry Spinnelli
July 20 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Calculating Stars
The Fated Sky
The Relentless Moon
The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family

✔️7. Saturn is known for its beautiful rings that orbit it and has the fastest winds of any other planet. Read a book containing a ring of some kind or a fast paced book.
All Systems Red
(Murderbot Diaries #1) by Martha Wells
Fast-paced and the planet has a ring.
July 7 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
✔️ The Mystery Of The Yellow Room by Gaston Leroux
July 25 ⭐️⭐️⭐️

✔️8. Uranus is also known as an ice giant. Read a book that is set in a cold/snowy/icy place or set mostly during winter.
Blizzard's Wake
by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
July 17 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

✔️9. Neptune reflects blue light and is the planet that is farthest away from the Sun. Read a book with a shade of blue in the title or an unread book that has been on your shelf for more than 2 years.
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
by Susan Cain
July 11 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
A Prayer for Owen Meany

✔️10. Pluto is no longer considered a planet in our solar system as it was reclassified as a dwarf planet in 2006 but we're still including it here on our trip! Read a book about a character missing out or being excluded from something or a book that is the last in a series.
The Accomplice
(Theodore Boone #7) by John Grisham
July 10 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
✔️ Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly
July 12 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
✔️ Normal People by Sally Rooney
July 17 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Relentless Moon
A Gentleman in Moscow

message 21: by Crystal (last edited Jul 30, 2020 06:19PM) (new)

Crystal | 695 comments The Solar System: 4/3

1. The Sun is a yellow dwarf star with a surface temperature of 9932°F: Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover or a book involving heat or fire
A First-Class Catastrophe The Road to Black Monday, the Worst Day in Wall Street History by Diana B. Henriques

2. Mercury is the smallest planet. Read a book where a main character is known for their small stature or a book with less than 150 pages Book Love

3. Venus is known as Earth's sister planet and rotates in the opposite direction to the other planets. Read a book about sisters or a book outside your comfort zone The Merry Spinster: Tales of Everyday Horror

4. Earth is the third planet from the sun.Read a book that is the third in a series or has three words in the title

5. Mars is named after the Roman God of War. Read a book about war or a book set in Italy

6. Jupiter is the largest planet with a strong magnetic field. Read a book with more than 500 pages or a book you've been drawn to recently Get Well Soon: History's Worst Plagues and the Heroes Who Fought Them

7. Saturn is known for its beautiful rings that orbit it and has the fastest winds of any other planet. Read a book containing a ring of some kind or a fast paced book

8. Uranus is also known as an ice giant. Read a book that is set in a cold/snowy/icy place or set mostly during winter

9. Neptune reflects blue light and is the planet that is farthest away from the Sun. Read a book with a shade of blue in the title or an unread book that has been on your shelf for more than 2 years

10. Pluto is no longer considered a planet in our solar system as it was reclassified as a dwarf planet in 2006 but we're still including it here on our trip! Read a book about a character missing out or being excluded from something or a book that is the last in a series

message 22: by Regina (last edited Jul 15, 2020 09:44AM) (new)

Regina Lemoine | 473 comments Progress: 4/5

✅1. SUN-Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover or a book involving heat or fire. A Burning by Megha Majumdar

✅2. MERCURY-Read a book where a main character is known for their small stature or a book with less than 150 pages. All Systems Red

3. VENUS-Read a book about sisters or a book outside your comfort zone.

4. EARTH-Read a book that is the third in a series or has three words in the title.
State of Wonder

✅5. MARS-Read a book about war or a book set in Italy.
A God in Ruins

✅6. JUPITER-Read a book with more than 500 pages or a book you've been drawn to recently. Death in Her Hands

7. SATURN-Read a book containing a ring of some kind or a fast paced book.

8. URANUS-Read a book that is set in a cold/snowy/icy place or set mostly during winter.

9. NEPTUNE-Read a book with a shade of blue in the title or an unread book that has been on your shelf for more than 2 years.

✅10. PLUTO-Read a book about a character missing out or being excluded from something or a book that is the last in a series.
The Jane Austen Society

message 23: by Audrey (last edited Jul 02, 2020 09:54PM) (new)

Audrey L | 16 comments I'm aiming for 5 books! PROGRESS: 0/5

1. The Sun - Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover or a book involving heat or fire
Illuminae

2. Mercury - Read a book where a main character is known for their small stature or a book with less than 150 pages

3. Venus - Read a book about sisters or a book outside your comfort zone

4. Earth - Read a book that is the third in a series or has three words in the title

5. Mars - Read a book about war or a book set in Italy

6. Jupiter - Read a book with more than 500 pages or a book you've been drawn to recently
After

7. Saturn - Read a book containing a ring of some kind or a fast paced book

8. Uranus - Read a book that is set in a cold/snowy/icy place or set mostly during winter

9. Neptune - Read a book with a shade of blue in the title or an unread book that has been on your shelf for more than 2 years
One of Us Is Lying

10. Pluto - Read a book about a character missing out or being excluded from something or a book that is the last in a series
Mockingjay

message 24: by Kaie (new)

Kaie (kaieh) | 4 comments I would like to join in for 3.

message 25: by Ashley (last edited Aug 02, 2020 06:23PM) (new)

message 26: by Jade Melody (new)

Jade Melody (jademelody) | 85 comments So excited for everyone on the journey so far!! Thank you all for joining!

message 27: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 25, 2020 08:30PM) (new)

Jennifer Swan | 309 comments This challenge is out of this world! I will be traveling to at least 6 locations:

8/6

The Calculating Stars DONE

2. Mercury is the smallest planet. Read a book where a main character is known for their small stature or a book with less than 150 pages

3. Venus is known as Earth's sister planet and rotates in the opposite direction to the other planets. Read a book about sisters or a book outside your comfort zone

The Girls at the Kingfisher Club DONE

Behind Every Lie DONE

Beneath a Scarlet Sky DONE

6. Jupiter is the largest planet with a strong magnetic field. Read a book with more than 500 pages or a book you've been drawn to recently

Wizard's First Rule

The Andromeda Strain DONE
The Fifth Season DONE

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame DONE

I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness DONE

message 28: by Martha (last edited Jul 31, 2020 05:57AM) (new)

Martha | 57 comments Astronaut Martha on board! I will be traveling to 5 different places in our solar system in July:

Progress: 6/5

√ The Sun - A book with a yellow cover: American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

√ Mercury - A book with less than 150 pages: Women in Battle by Marta Breen
√ Extra: Binti by Nnedi Okorafor

* Venus - A book about sisters: The Wise and the Wicked by Rebecca Podos

√ Jupiter: A book that you've been drawn to recently: Dear Martin by Nic Stone

* Pluto: A book where the main character is excluded from something: Eure Heimat ist unser Albtraum (your homeland is our nightmare) by Fatma Aydemir and others; a collection of essays about Germany, its' people and how some are marked as "other" based on how they look "foreign".
√ Extra: Anger Is A Gift by Mark Oshiro - a highschool faced with police presence. Exclusion from access to education.

√ Neptune: An unread book that has been on your shelf for more than 2 years: Zoo City by Lauren Beukes

√ Bonus: Hidden Figures by Margott Lee Shetterly, since this book is all about NASA and also, it's this month's group read.

message 29: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Motbey | 821 comments I'll be signing up for 2!

message 30: by Joanna (last edited Jul 21, 2020 06:08AM) (new)

Joanna (jari-chan) | 175 comments FINISHED July 21, 2020

Just my cup of intergalactic tea! I'll join for 10 prompts.

THE SOLAR SYSTEM - Monthly Challenge
Duration: July 1 - 31, 2020
Progress: 10/10

Petrushevskaya, Ludmilla - There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby: Scary Fairy Tales (July 05, 2020)
There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby Scary Fairy Tales by Ludmilla Petrushevskaya

Pfeiffer, Boris - Die drei ??? Kids / Stunde der Wahrheit (The thre ??? Kids - Moment of Truth) (July 05, 2020
140 pages

Gailey, Sarah - Magic for Liars (July 17, 2020)

4. Earth is the third planet from the sun. Read a book that is the third in a series or has three words in the title
(Siege Line)

Cole, Mayke - Siege Line (July 19, 2020)

Reinhardt, Volker - Die Borgia: Geschichte einer unheimlichen Familie (The Borgias) (July 21, 2020)

Glukhovsky, Dmitry - Sumerki (July 20, 2020)

Hye-Young, Pyun - Der Riss (The Hole) (July 06, 2020)

Sullivan, Michael J. - Das Fest von Aquesta (Wintertide) (July 06, 2020)

Klune, TJ - The House in the Cerulean Sea (July 19, 2020)

Hughues, Sandra - Tessiner Verwicklungen: Der erste Fall für Tschopp & Bianchi (Embroilments Ticino Style) (July 08, 2020)

message 31: by Marissa (last edited Jul 29, 2020 06:29PM) (new)

Marissa | 266 comments The Solar System
Duration: 07/01-07/31
Progress: 7/10

1. The Sun - read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover
This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman (07/26)

4. Earth - a book that has three words in the title
These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman (07/13)

6. Jupiter - read a book with more than 500 pages
Scarlet by Marissa Meyer (07/14)

7. Saturn - a fast paced book
Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (07/19)

8. Uranus - read a book set mostly during winter
Wilder Girls by Rory Power (07/24)

9. Neptune - an unread book that has been on your shelf for more than 2 years
The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler (07/21)

10. Pluto - a book that is the last in a series
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare (07/09)

message 32: by Amy (last edited Oct 09, 2020 07:04PM) (new)

Amy Ingalls | 1498 comments My official goal is 5, but hopefully I will get all 10
6/5-- Challenge Complete!

1. The Sun -- Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover or a book involving heat or fire: Pedicures & Prejudice

3. Venus -- Read a book about sisters: Last Day

4. Earth -- Read a book that has three words in the title: The Deceit Birds

6. Jupiter -- Read a book with more than 500 pages: Fractured

8. Uranus -- Read a book that is set in a cold/snowy/icy place or set mostly during winter: Evidence of Murder

10. Pluto -- Read a book about a character missing out or being excluded from something: Wuthering Heights

message 33: by Library (last edited Jul 19, 2020 08:53PM) (new)

Library Queen | 191 comments I'm gonna try to go for all 10! 9/10

1. The Sun is a yellow dwarf star with a surface temperature of 9932°F: Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover or a book involving heat or fire Chasing the White Lion

2. Mercury is the smallest planet. Read a book where a main character is known for their small stature or a book with less than 150 pages Eve of the Emperor Penguin

3. Venus is known as Earth's sister planet and rotates in the opposite direction to the other planets. Read a book about sisters or a book outside your comfort zone Day Zero

4. Earth is the third planet from the sun.Read a book that is the third in a series or has three words in the title A Little Princess

5. Mars is named after the Roman God of War. Read a book about war or a book set in Italy Like Flames in the Night

6. Jupiter is the largest planet with a strong magnetic field. Read a book with more than 500 pages or a book you've been drawn to recently The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

7. Saturn is known for its beautiful rings that orbit it and has the fastest winds of any other planet. Read a book containing a ring of some kind or a fast paced book Veiled in Smoke

8. Uranus is also known as an ice giant. Read a book that is set in a cold/snowy/icy place or set mostly during winter The Line Between

10. Pluto is no longer considered a planet in our solar system as it was reclassified as a dwarf planet in 2006 but we're still including it here on our trip! Read a book about a character missing out or being excluded from something or a book that is the last in a series Dead End

message 34: by eatsleepreadreview (last edited Jul 31, 2020 01:14AM) (new)

eatsleepreadreview | 62 comments 10 Please

10/10

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

The Monkey

Orphan X

4. Earth is the third planet from the sun - Read a book that is the third in a series or has three words in the title

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Angels & Demons

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

The Fellowship of the Ring

The Darkest Evening of the Year

Full Dark, No Stars

The Last Olympian

message 35: by Kathleen (last edited Jul 05, 2020 06:56PM) (new)

Kathleen | 24 comments I plan to travel to 3 of the planets
Progress: 1/3

✔ 1. The Sun is a yellow dwarf star with a surface temperature of 9932°F: Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover or a book involving heat or fire -- 99 Percent Mine

message 36: by Alison (last edited Jul 24, 2020 04:19PM) (new)

Alison | 815 comments I would like to join by reading 10 books please!
10/10 books...as of 7/24/2020...Completed!!

√ 1. The Sun is a yellow dwarf star with a surface temperature of 9932°F: Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover or a book involving heat or fire - Beach Read

√ 2. Mercury is the smallest planet. Read a book where a main character is known for their small stature or a book with less than 150 pages - The Old Man and the Sea

√ 3. Venus is known as Earth's sister planet and rotates in the opposite direction to the other planets. Read a book about sisters or a book outside your comfort zone - Home Before Dark

√ 4. Earth is the third planet from the sun.Read a book that is the third in a series or has three words in the title - Bless Me, Ultima

√ 5. Mars is named after the Roman God of War. Read a book about war or a book set in Italy - The Mountains Sing...follows a Vietnamese family during the Vietnam War

√ 6. Jupiter is the largest planet with a strong magnetic field. Read a book with more than 500 pages or a book you've been drawn to recently - 1776...in honor of July 4th!!

√ 7. Saturn is known for its beautiful rings that orbit it and has the fastest winds of any other planet. Read a book containing a ring of some kind or a fast paced book - Catching Fire

√ 8. Uranus is also known as an ice giant. Read a book that is set in a cold/snowy/icy place or set mostly during winter - A Court of Thorns and Roses

√ 9. Neptune reflects blue light and is the planet that is farthest away from the Sun. Read a book with a shade of blue in the title or an unread book that has been on your shelf for more than 2 years - The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks, and Giants of the Ocean...I didn't even know this was on my kindle and don't remember purchasing it in 2010!!

√ 10. Pluto is no longer considered a planet in our solar system as it was reclassified as a dwarf planet in 2006 but we're still including it here on our trip! Read a book about a character missing out or being excluded from something or a book that is the last in a series - Kingdom of Ash

message 37: by Sarah (last edited Jul 31, 2020 10:07AM) (new)

Sarah (misssummerrain) | 605 comments Space Commander Jade: I will be traveling to all 10 destinations.

10/10-COMPLETED

✅1.The Sun.Read a book involving heat or fire.Little Fires Everywhere(18/7/20)

✅2.Mercury.Read a book with less than 150 pages.SIX: The Musical(4/7/20)

✅3.Venus.Read a book about sisters.Three Sisters, Three Queens(23/7/20)

✅4.Earth.Read a book that is the third in a series.The Red Queen(14/7/20)

✅5.Mars.Read a book set in Italy.The Lemon Tree Hotel(20/7/20)

✅6.Jupiter.Read a book with more than 500 pages.Vendetta: Lucky's Revenge(3/7/20)

✅7.Saturn.Read a book containing a ring of some kind or a fast paced book.Lost Girls(18/7/20)

✅8.Uranus.Read a book that is set in a cold/snowy/ice place or set mostly during winter.The Coldest Winter Ever(18/7/20)

9.Neptune.Read an unread book that has been on your shelf for more than 2 years.What Alice Forgot(Been on my at home book shelf for 3 years)(31/7/20)

10.Pluto.Read a book that is the last in a series.The Other Queen(30/7/20)

message 38: by Suzanne (last edited Jun 30, 2020 06:02PM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 188 comments 2020 Reading Challenge
July - The Solar System
Duration:
1 July - 31 July 2020

Progress: 0 out of 10

message 39: by TerryJane, Challenges (new)

TerryJane | 988 comments Update to message 8. I should have at least 2 books per visit, maybe more. Please change my goal to 20. Thanks!

message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 93 comments Signing up for all 10 :)

message 41: by Nicole (last edited Jul 31, 2020 01:24AM) (new)

Nicole Woods (nicole_woods65) | 841 comments I'm in for 6!

1. The Sun is a yellow dwarf star with a surface temperature of 9932°F: Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover or a book involving heat or fire= My Hero Academia, Vol. 21: Why He Gets Back Up
2. Mercury is the smallest planet. Read a book where a main character is known for their small stature or a book with less than 150 pages= A Man of Means
3. Venus is known as Earth's sister planet and rotates in the opposite direction to the other planets. Read a book about sisters or a book outside your comfort zone= Little Women
4. Earth is the third planet from the sun. Read a book that is the third in a series or has three words in the title= JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, Tome 3
5. Mars is named after the Roman God of War. Read a book about war or a book set in Italy= Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, Tome 5
6. Jupiter is the largest planet with a strong magnetic field. Read a book with more than 500 pages or a book you've been drawn to recently= Little Men
7. Saturn is known for its beautiful rings that orbit it and has the fastest winds of any other planet. Read a book containing a ring of some kind or a fast paced book= Tales of Wedding Rings, Vol. 1
8. Uranus is also known as an ice giant. Read a book that is set in a cold/snowy/icy place or set mostly during winter= Murder on the Orient Express
9. Neptune reflects blue light and is the planet that is farthest away from the Sun. Read a book with a shade of blue in the title or an unread book that has been on your shelf for more than 2 years= Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, Tome 4
10. Pluto is no longer considered a planet in our solar system as it was reclassified as a dwarf planet in 2006 but we're still including it here on our trip! Read a book about a character missing out or being excluded from something or a book that is the last in a series= To Terra..., Vol. 3

10/6

message 42: by Lisanne (new)

Lisanne (wolffhoofd) | 97 comments Update to msg #5: 1/6

message 43: by Jade Melody (new)

Jade Melody (jademelody) | 85 comments Welcome to the first day of our space exploration!

I'm excited to see where this journey takes you all!

message 44: by Tresdivas (last edited Jul 23, 2020 07:15AM) (new)

Tresdivas | 92 comments I'm in for 10 Thank you!
10/10
1. red/yellow/orange on cover - Murder on the Orient Express
2. less than 150 pages - Blue/Orange
3. sisters - The Stolen Child
4. 3 words in title Sense and Sensibility
5. war/italy A Farewell to Arms
6. 500 pgs The Institute
7. ring of some kind - The Book of Five Rings
8. cold/snowy/icy/winter Disappearing Earth
9. shade of blue in title Blue
10. character missing/ excluded/ last in series Spirit Ascendancy

message 45: by Megan BG (last edited Jul 27, 2020 07:28AM) (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1323 comments Alright. I need to push myself this month! I only read 2 books last month, so I'm going to aim for 5.

6/5

1. The Sun is a yellow dwarf star with a surface temperature of 9932°F: Read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover or a book involving heat or fire: Mexican Gothic

5. Mars is named after the Roman God of War. Read a book about war or a book set in Italy: Poppy Redfern and the Midnight Murders

7. Saturn is known for its beautiful rings that orbit it and has the fastest winds of any other planet. Read a book containing a ring of some kind or a fast paced book. Hope to Die

8. Uranus is also known as an ice giant. Read a book that is set in a cold/snowy/icy place or set mostly during winter. My Eyes Are Up Here

9. Neptune reflects blue light and is the planet that is farthest away from the Sun. Read a book with a shade of blue in the title or an unread book that has been on your shelf for more than 2 years. The Identicals

10. Pluto is no longer considered a planet in our solar system as it was reclassified as a dwarf planet in 2006 but we're still including it here on our trip! Read a book about a character missing out or being excluded from something or a book that is the last in a series. The Pale-Faced Lie

message 46: by Rebecca (last edited Jul 02, 2020 01:25PM) (new)

Rebecca Ray | 436 comments Update to msg #17: 2/10

message 47: by Amy (new)

Amy Ingalls | 1498 comments Updated message 32-- 1/5

message 48: by Sunny (new)

Sunny | 1296 comments Updated #13

1/10

message 49: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 3957 comments Update to message #14

PROGRESS: 1/10

Eva Luna by Isabel Allende

message 50: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 01, 2020 07:37PM) (new)

Jennifer Swan | 309 comments Happy July! Finished a book a day later than I meant to, but that means I can count it for this challenge!

updating message #27

1/6 completed

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame DONE

« previous 1 3 4 5