Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Featured Series and Cozies > Alaskan Diner (Mousse and Murder) by Elizabeth Logan

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2407 comments Mod
Mousse and Murder (Alaskan Diner Mystery #1) by Elizabeth Logan Mousse and Murder

Charlie Cooke, a young chef, might bite off more than she can chew when she returns to her Alaskan hometown to take over her parents' diner in this charming first installment in a new cozy mystery series set in an Alaskan tourist town.

Other books in the series:
Fishing for Trouble (Alaskan Diner Mystery #2) by Elizabeth Logan

message 2: by Alice (new)

Alice | 393 comments I finally started Mousse and Murder last night. Writing is easy to follow. Love the Alaska location. I will update when I finish.

message 3: by Alice (new)

Alice | 393 comments Alice wrote: "I finally started Mousse and Murder last night. Writing is easy to follow. Love the Alaska location. I will update when I finish."

I finished it this morning. I gave it 3 stars. I felt she could have used the Alaska setting more that say oh some tourist came. Starting to develop the characters this is just book one so there is a lots of room for growth. The Moose recipes sound interesting

message 4: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2595 comments Mod
Comment from Lea:

Reading Mousse and Murder by Elisabeth Logan.

I am really enjoying this cozy and expect to finish it today. The author has done a good job making me feel like I am in Alaska and in a real Alaskan town. I like the main character and glad for once I don’t have to ‘learn’ to like the main character. Her pet is also adorable.

message 5: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 488 comments I read the first book. I tried to anyway, the e-book formatting was off. I liked the story well enough but it's not more than a 3 star read for me. It took me awhile to figure out whodunit. The final clue was so obvious and Charlie was kind of dumb about it. The way she was saved was totally ridiculous, not to mention the improbable motive for murder. It was a little disjointed at the end. How did Oliver know to be on the run right NOW? Also, was he so upset at changing up the old favorite recipes because he was a poor student and not a good chef so he didn't know how to change things up? Charlie asked them to experiment not drastically change the menu. I agree-everything tastes better with chocolate!

I didn't care for all the local color. Alaska is cold I get it, beautiful, OK, has lots of moose people like to kill and eat (horrific) and giant mosquitos in the summer. The lower 48 are all the same-the people are ignorant and the weather is always farm. That's enough to make me want to run far far away from Alaska, not go there. What's with the recipes? Since the story is kicked off with the signature Bear Claw pastry, where was the recipe for that?

Charlie's BFF Annie annoyed me. Her obsession with Pierre is way over the top. It's obvious he's shady from the get go but what he was doing there is a bit of a mystery but he's clearly not a magazine photographer. The photos on his phone are a dead giveaway. I would think, even in this digital age, a magazine photographer would have a DSLR camera with lots of lenses to capture those northern lights. iPhones take wonderful pictures but they don't take RAW photos that can be edited in layers.

I don't normally like cats but I liked Benny. He's actually very sweet and charming.

I MAY read the next two but I don't feel an urgent need to get them ASAP. The library only had the first one as an e-book so I have to request it and have it sent to the nearest library, wait for a nice day and walk there and back. It's been too hot to walk to the library these last 2 weeks and before that it was cold and rainy.

message 6: by LISA (new)

LISA Glass | 39 comments I am currently reading this book. So far, I have enjoyed it very much.