Reading Envy Readers discussion

Ducks, Newburyport
This topic is about Ducks, Newburyport
Readalong: Ducks, Newburyport > Ducks Week 6: May 24-30, 825-1040

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 903 comments Mod
Welcome to the last 6th of the book! I have the feeling I might finish Monday because once I get to the last 10% of a book no matter how long, I just want to GET there, you know?

For those tracking my tracking of baked goods, the first part of this section mentions "caramel marmalade squares" and this does not exist anywhere on the internet. It must be something the narrator is mulling over. I even tried searching for "caramel marmalade traybake" or "caramel marmalade cake" which this one actually did kind of almost give me an Australian recipe. Curious.

Fiona Cairns | 37 comments I’m determined to make a lemon drizzle cake but can’t get any caster sugar anywhere! Hopefully patience will pay off in the end. Yours looked delicious.

Fiona wrote: "I’m determined to make a lemon drizzle cake but can’t get any caster sugar anywhere! Hopefully patience will pay off in the end. Yours looked delicious."

You can just stick granulated sugar in a blender and blitz it a few times but not too much as that’s how you get powdered!

Fiona Cairns | 37 comments Oh my goodness, what a brilliant tip! Thank you Jenny.

Jeff (jeff_koeppen) | 168 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "Welcome to the last 6th of the book! I have the feeling I might finish Monday because once I get to the last 10% of a book no matter how long, I just want to GET there, you know?"

I know! I finished it yesterday. Wow. For such a long book I really don't have a lot of insight or deep thoughts about it. Going to let it stew around in my head for a while and try to review it on Goodreads. Anyone else finished, or close to finished?

Fiona Cairns | 37 comments I’ve finished it, Jeff and thought the whole novel superb. What an achievement. The issues it raises about the world and the way we live in it, motherhood, grief, the way it Ellmann goes about it. I’m still trying to process it all in my mind.

Gail | 34 comments Yay....glad you all finished this interesting book. Several years ago I donated or gifted all my books. We are retired and live in a 460 sq ft cottage. All the books I now read are from the library (audio or ebooks). Ducks is the only book in years that I wish that I had a real copy...to dip into again and savor. The juxtaposing story of the mother cougar was perfect.

Gail wrote: "Yay....glad you all finished this interesting book. Several years ago I donated or gifted all my books. We are retired and live in a 460 sq ft cottage. All the books I now read are from the library..."

I was fascinated by how some of the parts I didn't think go together came together too.

How is living in that cottage while we all stay at home?