YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
This topic is about The Cruel Prince
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air #1) by Holly Black - Restarting August 9th 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ashley (last edited May 24, 2020 03:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashley Del Real | 23 comments How many chapters do you want to do first?

Khatija | 58 comments Ashley wrote: "How many chapters do you want to do first?"
5 ?

Ashley Del Real | 23 comments 5 sounds good! We can start reading tomorrow and discuss it on Friday or next Tuesday?

Khatija | 58 comments I think I'll be done in a few days, but we can discuss any time that works with you :)

Ashley Del Real | 23 comments I’ll most likely be done with the first 5 chapters by Friday 🙌

Khatija | 58 comments alrighty :)

Khatija | 58 comments Just finished chapter 5. This was a pretty fast read, though we've just reached the first point where the plot will start to pick up.
I'm still making up my mind about these characters but they are all quite intriguing. I hope Jude turns out to be a smart protagonist and not someone who is extremely impulsive and makes stupid decisions. Little bit wary about that lol.
So far I like the way this is written and the family dynamics. We haven't gotten a very extensive picture of the world but it feels like a neat, small town setting. The stakes are still rather low but I am hoping something significant happens that makes this more of an exciting read.

Khatija | 58 comments Just finished chapter 5. This was a pretty fast read, though we've just reached the first point where the plot will start to pick up.
I'm still making up my mind about these characters but they are all quite intriguing. I hope Jude turns out to be a smart protagonist and not someone who is extremely impulsive and makes stupid decisions. Little bit wary about that lol.
So far I like the way this is written and the family dynamics. We haven't gotten a very extensive picture of the world but it feels like a neat, small town setting. The stakes are still rather low but I am hoping something significant happens that makes this more of an exciting read.

Ashley Del Real | 23 comments I'm on chapter three and so far it's ok. I'm still not quite sure what the plot is and hope it'll come up real soon. Jude seems like a headstrong character so far and her twin sister is nice. Her older sister I'm curious on what she will be doing. The Prince is a complete asshole so far. But yeah I have no idea what the plot is, I reread the summary a few times and I still don't understand what's going to happen in this book. I really hope it's going to be a good one.

Khatija | 58 comments yeah, I cant figure out the plot either..its still pretty vague

Khatija | 58 comments chapter 10..
(view spoiler)

Khatija | 58 comments chapter 15
(view spoiler)

Khatija | 58 comments chapter 18..
(view spoiler)

Khatija | 58 comments chapter 20
(view spoiler)

Ashley Del Real | 23 comments I’m on Chapter 17 (sorry I’m going a little slow 😅😅) and yeah this book seems more like her life story in faerie then having this big plot. I think her and her twin sister are growing apart and I also thought it was weird that Taryn would just leave Jude to fend for self against the bullies because those bullies were really cruel to the point that they ordered her around like she was an animal and almost killed her! So far the only thing that caught my attention was that Cardan was being whipped by his own brother! Who even does that?! I’m at the point where she’s back in the palace to look through Balekin things to look for that letter about the poison.

Khatija | 58 comments oh it's alright, I just have a little extra time than usual and I've been interested enough in the book to binge read it hehe
yes, very slice of life lol...I almost feel like its just setting up the scene for something more dramatic? perhaps in the sequel.
I agree...taryn is not a great sister. it's been a while since I've read about a sibling so disloyal ._.
oh, Balekin is truly horrible, even worse than Cardan by the looks of it...I keep wondering which prince the title of the book actually refers to

Ashley Del Real | 23 comments Yeah! That’s what I’m expecting too, that something really dramatic and insane is about to happened! That’s true, I thought the book title is based on Carden but maybe it is about Balekin but then Dain almost made Jude pierce her own hand. I don’t know if she made the right choice on becoming Dain spy cause even though The glamour is gone Dain can still control her and I don’t know once he said that he will be the only one who can control her my first thought was “he’s up to something bad”.

Khatija | 58 comments chapter 26
(view spoiler)

Khatija | 58 comments chapter 30
(view spoiler)

message 20: by Ashley (last edited Jun 01, 2020 09:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashley Del Real | 23 comments Chapter 23
(view spoiler)

Ashley Del Real | 23 comments Done
(view spoiler)

Khatija | 58 comments Taryn is awful...plus, I hate that she acted like she didnt do any wrong -_-

Khatija | 58 comments yeah, the plot was weirdly paced for most of the book..it seemed like a bunch of random events. I wouldn't say the ending completely made up for it, but it was a lot more exciting...makes me interested in the sequel too...maybe this book was just a set up to the later books? like Jude's origin story before she becomes whoever she is meant to become

message 24: by Dee Dee (last edited Jun 02, 2020 11:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments 37% / up to ch 15 - Ugh Taryn really annoys me, but then so does Jude and Cardan...so...that's fun. I'm hoping that the ship that is all over my twitter feed happens soon and that I see why people buy into them.

Honestly, I'm with Vivi at this point (view spoiler)

Madoc is intriguing too.

Melanie (cozybooksandlattes) | 165 comments 26% - Up to chapter 12

(view spoiler)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Melanie wrote: "26% - Up to chapter 12

I am kind of enjoying this book so far? I agree with you Dee Dee, Taryn is also annoying me but so is Locke? I think we will be getting a Locke Jude relationship but I do n..."

Yup...I'm waiting for his redemption arc. And I agree, Locke is...just there. No thanks.

Melanie (cozybooksandlattes) | 165 comments 50% - Up to chapter 18

(view spoiler)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Melanie, I agree with you. I think if we were following Carden I'd have liked it more. As it stands I'm apathetic.

message 29: by Melanie (last edited Jun 03, 2020 08:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melanie (cozybooksandlattes) | 165 comments 82% - Up to chapter 27

Dee Dee will you be reading the second book?

(view spoiler)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Melanie wrote: "82% - Up to chapter 27

Dee Dee will you be reading the second book?"

I'm not sure yet. I'm torn, because I want to see (view spoiler)

Melanie (cozybooksandlattes) | 165 comments Done

Dee Dee if you are interested in reading the second book let me know! I think it will be better than the first one.

(view spoiler)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments We can read it together if you want. I've started another book but I'm free as soon as I finish it.

message 33: by Stella (last edited Jun 07, 2020 10:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stella (stellap16) | 254 comments Chapter 8
I haven't gotten too far but into the plot but I think the characters are interesting.
(view spoiler)

Stella (stellap16) | 254 comments Chapter 16
(view spoiler)

Stella (stellap16) | 254 comments Chapter 20
(view spoiler)

Stella (stellap16) | 254 comments Chapter 24
(view spoiler)

message 37: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9574 comments Sorry I'm late! Starting now

message 38: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9574 comments ch 7 (view spoiler)

message 39: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9574 comments Stella wrote: "Chapter 8
I haven't gotten too far but into the plot but I think the characters are interesting.
(view spoiler)

it's interesting that (view spoiler)

Stella (stellap16) | 254 comments Chapter 28
(view spoiler)

message 41: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9574 comments ch 15 (view spoiler)

message 42: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9574 comments Stella wrote: "Chapter 16 (view spoiler)

Totally agree (view spoiler)

message 43: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9574 comments ch 21 (view spoiler)

message 44: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9574 comments Stella wrote: "Chapter 20 (view spoiler)

I know! (view spoiler)

message 45: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9574 comments Stella wrote: "Chapter 24 (view spoiler)"

Yeah (view spoiler)

message 46: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9574 comments finished (view spoiler)

message 47: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9574 comments Stella wrote: "Chapter 28 (view spoiler)

It's definitely (view spoiler)

Stella (stellap16) | 254 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83374 comments Mod

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83374 comments Mod

« previous 1