Middle Grade Madness! discussion

CYOA Challenge 2020 > CYOA 2020 Info & Sign Up

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Kadi P (kadi_p) | 3446 comments Mod

message 2: by Kadi, Creator (last edited Jun 03, 2020 05:28AM) (new)

Choose Your Own Adventure Challenge 2020
The Choose Your Own Adventure Challenge revolves around a story I wrote myself in which you make choices which determine the outcome of the story.
Written in a 1st person perspective and in present tense, you are the protagonist of the story and every choice you make happens in real time as you read through each chapter.

The rules:
- This challenge is running from July 1st 2020 to December 31st 2020.
- DO NOT spoil any of the chapters for others.
- DO NOT share any chapter links I send you with others.
- If you have a question please ask below.

How it works:
- Create a shelf for this challenge (call it something like CYOA 2020)
- Read Chapter A (will be released 1st July 2020)
- Choose ONE of the two options given at the end of Chapter A
- Each option will have a task you must fulfil (it will be either to read a named book or to read any book that fulfils the specified requirements. See example below)
- After you’ve fulfilled the task by reading the book, add the book to your CYOA shelf.
- Leave a comment on THIS page: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
that looks something like this: “I’m on chapter A. I chose option 1 (or 2 if you chose 2), I read [book you read]. It fulfils task [a or b depending which one you chose] because it has [reason why it fulfils task]” (More info available on the above mentioned page)
- The option you chose will direct you to which chapter you’ll read next. Once I’ve seen your comment on the page given above, I’ll message you as soon as I can with the link you need for the next Chapter. The message will be very clearly named “CYOA NEXT CHAPTER”.
- Once you’ve clicked on the link you’ll restart the whole process again from step 2 but with the next chapter.

*Note: step 6 is really important! Please give all details on the given page or we’ll both be confused!*

Books that count towards a task:
- Must be started on/after July 1st 2020.
- Must be more than 100 pages long.
- Can be any genre.
- Can be MG, YA, NA, or adult.
- Must be added to your CYOA 2020 shelf
- Must fulfil what the task requires.
- You can’t read the same book twice to fulfil 2 different tasks from 2 different chapters.
- Rereads do count.
- Audiobooks count only if the paperback (or hardback) equivalent is more than 100 pages.
- Graphic novels/comics do NOT count.

The Options:
- At the end of every chapter there are 2 options for you to chose from.
- Each option gives you 2 tasks that you choose 1 from and must fulfil to move onto the next chapter.
- The tasks will usually relate to what the option says your next action will be in the story.
-
- Option 2 will ALWAYS be a task about reading ANY book that meets specific requirements given.
- The named book will ALWAYS be a standalone book or the first book in a series. It will never be a book from the middle of a series.

Example:
What do you do next?
Option 1: You run out of the classroom

Task a: Read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
OR
Task b: Read a book where the protagonist is a runaway
Then move on to Chapter B

Option 2: You stand your ground and get ready to fight him
Task a: Read Vicious by V.E. Schwab
OR
Task b: Read a book which has a protagonist who fights a male protagonist with superpowers, magical abilities, or enhanced strength
Then move on to Chapter C

Let’s say I chose option 2.
When I finished the book I would leave a comment on this page: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... which says:
“I am on Chapter A. I chose option 2. I read The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan. It fulfils task b because the protagonist Percy fights Kronos who has enhanced strength because he is a Titan.”

Any questions? Please ask below and I will answer them!

message 3: by Kadi, Creator (last edited May 25, 2020 03:53AM) (new)

message 4: by Kadi, Creator (new)

(Comment reserved for future use)

message 5: by jessica (new)

jessica (abookishjess) | 616 comments I am so extremely excited for this!

message 6: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 425 comments I have a concern. I thought each option would have a prompt. So for example, you click run out of a classroom and you get Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone and in that same option, you get a prompt that matches Harry Potter. Because I don’t want to pick Option 2 every single time because I know that one has only a prompt then it’s not really Choose Your Own Adventure. Just so that both options are evenly matched.

Also, I know you said that the specific book can only be the first book in a series but if you had already that first book, can you read the sequel of that series and can it still count? Other than that, I’m super excited for this!

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hufflepugtato) | 106 comments YES. This sounds like a really fun challenge!

message 8: by Kadi, Creator (new)

@jessica @elizabeth I’m excited too!

@ilsen those are great questions. I see how that would be a disadvantage and that’s unfair and your alternative is a good one so I’m going to change it.
As for reading the second book if you’ve already read the first I’m going to say no because rereads are allowed in the challenge and every option will have different books so it won’t be like:
Chapter A option 1: Percy Jackson and the lightning thief
Chapter C option 2: Percy Jackson and the lightning thief
That won’t happen. Also the books will directly correlate to what that option says will happen next in your story.

So like with this example:
Option 1: run out of the classroom
Read Harry Potter and the philosopher’s stone
OR read a book where the protagonist is a runaway

Both the tasks you have a choice from there are to do with running away. Although the second HP book might correlate to the theme of running away that might not always be the case for other books specified in other options

Domitylle (can only update books rn. sorry) (dom_brlw) | 55 comments This sounds A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. !!!
It's a really good and original idea ! Thanks so much for putting it in place !
:)

Domitylle (can only update books rn. sorry) (dom_brlw) | 55 comments I have a question, I don't have a Google account and the sign-up form asks to log into our Google account to fill it in...
What do I do?
I can try and negotiate with my mom to have one but she doesn't like things related to Google so I'm not sure that she will say yes... (I am a teen and still have to ask my parents to create a mail account and all :)

message 11: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Hey Domitylle that’s such a pain for you sorry about all the inconvenience😩! I’ll private message you the questions which are on the form, you can give me your responses and I’ll manually add them to my spreadsheet so then it’ll be like you’re signed up!

Domitylle (can only update books rn. sorry) (dom_brlw) | 55 comments Thank you so much!
And sorry for the trouble... 😅

message 13: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 425 comments I understand why. I just wanted to continue with the sequels but yay!!! I’m so excited. I’m gonna sign up right now!

message 14: by Kadi, Creator (last edited May 24, 2020 03:00PM) (new)

Domitylle wrote: "Thank you so much!
And sorry for the trouble... 😅"

It's ok I was coming downstairs to eat a brownie anyway it only takes a few extra minutes to start up my laptop and copy paste from the form for you. Just sent you the message now!

message 15: by Kadi, Creator (last edited May 24, 2020 03:00PM) (new)

Ilsen wrote: "I understand why. I just wanted to continue with the sequels but yay!!! I’m so excited. I’m gonna sign up right now!"

🎉🎉Yay!!

Domitylle (can only update books rn. sorry) (dom_brlw) | 55 comments Kadi wrote: "Domitylle wrote: "Thank you so much!
And sorry for the trouble... 😅"

It's ok I was coming downstairs to eat a brownie anyway it only takes a few extra minutes to start up my laptop and copy paste ..."

I'm gonna look at it right away, thanks so much! :)

message 17: by Kadi, Creator (new)

No problemo!😊

message 18: by Kadi, Creator (new)

To all who have expressed interest already, the synopsis for the story featured in this challenge is available to read here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... !!
Check it out and I'd love to hear what you think about the premise of the story so far...

Domitylle (can only update books rn. sorry) (dom_brlw) | 55 comments It looks awesome!!!
Can't wait to start!!!
🤩😁

message 20: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Can't wait either!

message 21: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Hey Ardell, yeah no worries. I put the name box there so you can put whatever name you’re comfortable with because I know quite a lot of people don’t use their real name on their goodreads account so whatever name you’re comfortable with using is totally fine!
The info isn’t going to go anywhere anyway as well so don’t worry. It’s just so I can track your challenge progress in my spreadsheet and make sure I’ve sent you the right chapters, etc.

message 22: by Kadi, Creator (new)

It's starting in July but you have to sign up beforehand or you can even sign up in July. It was just a way of notifying everyone that the sign ups are now open so you can sign up in advance of it starting in July.
And it's totally fine don't apologise! There are a lot of newcomers and I imagine the group functions can be quite confusing!

message 23: by Traci Ann (new)

Traci Ann (ireadchildlit) | 35 comments kadi! how many books is the minimum and maximum for the shelves?

Domitylle (can only update books rn. sorry) (dom_brlw) | 55 comments That's a good question! Hadn't thought of it :)

message 25: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Hey Traci I think you might have misunderstood the point of the shelf. So you only add a book to the shelf after you’ve finished reading it for the challenge. So you’re shelf should be created but right now but remain empty till you finish a book and add it to the shelf so I can double check what book you read.
As of right now I’m not sure exactly how many books you’ll read for the challenge, it’ll be one per chapter definitely but I’m not sure how many chapters long the story will be as I’m still writing it. Most likely it’ll be at least 7 chapters long so that’s 7 books.
Hope that clears up any confusion!

message 26: by Traci Ann (new)

Traci Ann (ireadchildlit) | 35 comments Ohh okay. Thank you for explaining it!

message 27: by Kadi, Creator (new)

No problem! Sorry for any confusion😊

Domitylle (can only update books rn. sorry) (dom_brlw) | 55 comments @Kadi
Oh okay! Thanks! I was asking myself how many chapters there would be :)

message 29: by Kadi, Creator (new)

@ASparkOfSyd I'm glad it makes sense!

@Domitylle yeah I didn't say before because I wasn't certain and I didn't want to say it'd be like 7 chapters and it ended up being 5 but looking at my plan for each chapter I've got so far it's looking like it'll be probably 7 chapters long. If it's longer it's a bonus because there's no time limit for this challenge it's running until the end of this year so that's plenty of time for everyone...

message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma | 4 comments Maybe?

message 31: by Emma (new)

Emma | 4 comments How do I sign up?

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a little confused, by Chapter do you mean book or do you move on after finishing Chapter One of each book?

message 33: by Kadi, Creator (new)

@Emma not sure what you mean by maybe so hopefully that was some kind of typo😂 the sign up link is in the second message but I’ll give it here again anyway: https://forms.gle/EYsQzddUd5mWRTZ88
So glad you want to sign up!😊

message 34: by Kadi, Creator (new)

@AspiringAuthor by Chapter I mean the Chapter of the story I’ve written. So I’ve written a story and at the end of each chapter you have a choice of 2 options where you can decide what you want to happen in the next chapter of the story. In order to make that choice you have to complete one of the tasks from the option you choose. The tasks will either name a book you have to read or give you criteria the book you read has to fulfil. You have to read the whole book not just the first chapter. Hope that clears up any confusion, if not feel free to ask more questions!

message 35: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 6 comments Yes, I just signed up and joined the group this looks fun.

message 36: by Kadi, Creator (last edited Jun 05, 2020 05:29AM) (new)

Yay! Thanks for signing up! Just finished writing one of the chapters and I have to say my fave chapter title so far has to be: "One book, two book, red book, blue book" because doesn't that just sound awesome? Yes it's a reference to Dr Seuss😂

message 37: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Connor | 9 comments My question: Can I make a request?

If yes: Would you join the Rebellion and fight for what's right, or is the only way to save humanity to save yourself? Do you want to change this too. Or maybe: May I recommend someone to request you to consider changing it?

If no: :-( Ok I understand. Thank you for taking the time to consider this request. :-)

message 38: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Hi Kevin, so either I’m confused by what you’re asking or you misunderstood the message I sent you. What a mess!😂

In the message when I told you I’d changed the part of the synopsis to do with the parents it wasn’t because I’d changed the story in any way. It was because I’d realised that the sentence about the parents in the synopsis didn’t actually represent what happens in the story.

I’m not sure if now you’re asking me to also change the sentence about the rebellion and saving yourself in the synopsis or if you’re asking me to change the part of the story to do with the rebellion and saving yourself. Either way I don’t think it’d be right to change either of these. The rebellion vs saving yourself is one of the main aspects of the story and that’s also why it makes sense to keep that sentence in the synopsis.

If you’re asking me to change the sentence because there’s a grammatical error then that’s a different matter. I am a stickler for good grammar but I’m not an editor so I don’t have perfect grammar. I did show the synopsis to my writer friends and they didn’t bring up any issues with that sentence but I still could’ve missed something so please tell me if I did!

message 39: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Connor | 9 comments Ok. That is part of the story. I can understand. But maybe you could consider changing just the synopsis and not the story. As nice as this sentence wishes to be, it can not be nice. So, maybe something else that you consider nice. As for Grammar, I am no Oxford metaphorical person who corrects everyone's grammar. I do not know the name of people of this type. Let us just say: Oxford Metaphors. I am no Oxford Metaphor. But maybe you yourself saw some problems in the grammar too. Not that I am pointing at it.

My point would be to make this final sentence something inspiring or something controversial or something cool or something nice. You know what I mean.

message 40: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Sorry Kevin I actually have no idea what you mean😂 I am so very confused by what you're saying... I don't understand what you mean by the sentence not being nice🤔 It's not supposed to be nice. And I think it is a cool sentence. It leaves the reader with a sense of intrigue and it's supposed to be kind of unsettling too. Not nice or happy. I think you'll understand more once you read the story that it's all about choices and sacrifices and kind of about morality too so that's what makes that sentence in the synopsis an appropriate choice

message 41: by Traci Ann (new)

Traci Ann (ireadchildlit) | 35 comments KADI, I AM EXCITED FOR THIS. Lol.

message 42: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Connor | 9 comments Ok. BTW you misunderstood me. And I did mean that this is nice. So, I am looking forward to it.

message 43: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Connor | 9 comments And I think I might have an obsession with the word nice. So maybe you do not get what I mean but I mean nice.😂

message 44: by Kadi, Creator (new)

YES TRACI LETS GO🙌🏻 I was writing some of the end chapter today and 👀excitingggg

@Kevin yeah sorry I don’t understand what you mean by nice😂 oh well!

message 45: by Kadi, Creator (new)

@ASparkOfSyd don’t apologise! It’s totally fine to ask questions!

You’re definitely part of the challenge, I saw your sign up sheet was filled in and I’ve added your progress chart to my spreadsheet so I can track your progress as you take part in the challenge.

The challenge starts July 1st (here’s the countdown: https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown... ) so I’ll send you Chapter A (the first chapter) on that day but everyone will also get a message a couple of days before to 1. Remind them they signed up, 2. Confirm they’re still taking part and 3. Thank them for signing up because it means a lot to me!

As for how long the challenge is, it doesn’t have to be one book/one chapter a month. You can complete the challenge at your own pace so whenever you finish a book you follow the instructions set out in the first comment and then I’ll send you the link to the next chapter but you can spend however long you like reading the book. You could finish the whole challenge in a month really if you’re up for reading 8 or so books in a month😂

message 46: by Kadi, Creator (new)

So I’ll only send a chapter to you once you finish reading a book as the task of the previous chapter states you have to. Then once you add the book to your CYOA bookshelf and leave a comment on the discussion page for completed chapters then I’ll send you a private message with a link to the next chapter. So it’s not monthly, it depends on how long it takes you to the finish the book needed for the task in the option you chose. That can be a month if you want or a few days. Read at your own pace and have fun with it!

In case you’re confused by this here’s an example:
I send you chapter A (the 1st chapter).
You choose option 1 and read a book to complete task 1a.
You add the book to your CYOA shelf and leave a comment on the completed chapter discussion page.
I check the book fulfils the task’s requirements.
If it does then I send you a private message with the link for the next chapter.
Then you start reading the next chapter and choose an option... and do the whole thing all over again. It’s the same for every chapter until the end...

message 47: by Kadi, Creator (new)

No problemo😊 Any other questions feel free to ask!

message 49: by Kadi, Creator (new)

*evil laugh in background* can't wait, it's going to be so good...

No but seriously I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone's thoughts are on not only the story but also the books I've picked out for people to read. So far the named specific books mentioned in tasks are a mix of middle grade and YA but I'm not finished yet so I'll probably add some adult to mix it up!

message 50: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Connor | 9 comments No that was cute. Not rude 😀😂

« previous 1