What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Polar flip catches charter sailboat unaware. Starts with male owner of sailboat and a couple on board. They can't go back & head to owner's property in Arkansas(?).

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Iris (new)

Iris | 1 comments Begins with a charter sailboat, with male boat owner and a couple on his boat. Polar flip happens, and they cannot return to where they started. Boat owner has a piece of property in Arkansas (?) that he bought as a hedge against a catastrophe, and they head for that.

I think the title referenced a river or body of water, and I keep thinking the title includes something like drift or flow or split, but that may be wrong.

message 2: by Andy Phillips (new)

Andy Phillips | 192 comments How about The New Madrid Run? It doesn't begin with a boat - the main character is an aircraft pilot - but a lot of the story is on a boat. They do head for Arkansas through a version of the USA with different coastlines etc. due to tsunamis and earthquakes following a polar shift. The title refers to the newly formed waterway.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34305 comments Mod
Iris, what's the genre - e.g., adult thriller, science fiction? We need to add this to the topic header.

Can you explain what a "polar flip" is, and how this causes a problem for the sailboat owner?

message 4: by Andy Phillips (new)

Andy Phillips | 192 comments I thought Iris was talking about a 'geomagnetic reversal' - search the internet and it will come up. Apparently every few hundred thousand years (at random) the north and south poles swap somehow. In real life this seems to take a long time, but it's essentially instantaneous in The New Madrid Run. This causes massive earthquakes, tsunamis and general mayhem like the coastlines changing. I think that wherever the main characters came from is destroyed.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
Wow sounds good.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34305 comments Mod
I added some plot details to the topic header, so your book might be recognized from the header alone. Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website – not the Mobile website or app.

We need to add genre (e.g., thriller?) as well.