Play Book Tag discussion

May 2020: Comedy > Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin P (last edited May 24, 2020 01:09PM) (new)

Robin P | 2017 comments I know many people adored this book, giving 4 or 5 stars, so I'll explain my rating. I give 5 stars only once or twice a year to outstanding books I will never forget. I rarely give a 2, because if I dislike the book that much, I generally won't finish it. 3 star books are fine, I like them ok, and 4 star books have something more. If GR allowed half stars, I would give 3.5.

The reason I found this nothing special is that it contains so many tropes of chick lit. A group of women meet at a class, yarn shop, book group, neighborhood outing, etc. Several have stories that are unearthed. They form a kind of family and support each other. There is at least one love story, which is stymied for a while by some lack of communication or secret. And there is a snobby or unfriendly woman who eventually turns out to be not so bad. I found a lot of this book predictable. So all this is not a criticism of the book, just where I am at this time of my life with the amount of reading I have done.

I feel this book deserves something more for the unusual population of Sikh women. I learned some things about the cultural and the range of traditional to modern views. That's where the extra half-point comes from.

I'm kind of surprised that this is marked comedy. Yes there is some humor but also drama, mystery and even a bit of suspense/thriller. For a really comic treatment of a similar theme, I enjoyed more Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words.

Again, I think this is me. I like romance, mystery, comedy and even some chick lit. But I usually don't like mashups. I get annoyed when a romance has to be interrupted for some kind of mystery from the past or the heroine is threatened, tied up, hit over the head, etc. I really dislike chick lit or romance that turn serious and have someone die (except bad people, of course!) I guess I have expectations of genre fiction. In literary fiction, I am prepared for more complex or darker episodes.

So basically I liked this book fine but it didn't really stand out.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6515 comments Well done, review. You explain your objections very well.

message 3: by NancyJ (last edited May 24, 2020 03:39PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments I like unexpected mashups, but I see your point. Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words wouldn't have caught my attention before, but I'll check it out. It sounds a little different from other things on my list, and it's on audible escape. Thanks.