Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > High Society of Central Europe and Classical Musicians

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 31 comments I'm watching Amadeus right now and loving it so much, the high society of Vienna, the wigs and hilarious clothes, famous musicians and emperors, etc. Are there any novels set anywhere near this fascinating time and place? I've seen a few books about Mozart's wife but they have low ratings and really don't sound great. Anything about the rich and noble of this time or any of the famous composers around Europe during this golden age of operas. I just can't get over their giant hats and how much those most have cost, yet some of these women needed a different hat for every occasion. It's a weird thing to be fascinated with but what can I say? Anything that takes place before Sisi by Allison Patiki would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

message 2: by V.M. (new)

V.M. Sang (aspholessaria) | 83 comments I can't recommend any books about that era, I'm sorry, but Vienna was the place for musicians to be. As was Leipzig. So many great musicians gravitated to those places it's amazing.
I would be interested in books about the place, too.

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 31 comments V.M. wrote: "I can't recommend any books about that era, I'm sorry, but Vienna was the place for musicians to be. As was Leipzig...."

Hopefully someone will help us out! I've been looking for books about this general subject for a while now and have had zero luck, other than a few biographies. It's such an interesting time but it seems like no one wants to write about it!

message 4: by V.M. (new)

V.M. Sang (aspholessaria) | 83 comments Perhaps I might think about it when my current work is finished. It'll take a lot of research, though.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 90 comments A rich heritage in that part of Europe. When I first visited, I was amazed and loved every minute I spent there. A great setting for books.

message 6: by V.M. (new)

V.M. Sang (aspholessaria) | 83 comments I've visited there and Saxony in Germany for the musical heritage. They produced so many incredible musicians and many others came there from Bach ( the best of the lot, IMHO) Handel, Beethoven, Mozart, Johann Strauss, Richard Strauss, Chopin,--I could go on. Then, in Germany there's Goethe, Luther... .

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 31 comments How can something so fascinating, with such a rich history, not make its way into a ton on novels? I just can't believe there isn't more written about it.

message 8: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (quisters) | 1 comments I just finished this book by Marie Lu. I highly recommend it. It’s very well researched and with a touch of fantasy which lends itself well to telling the story.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 9: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Jasmine | 1165 comments Mod
The Queen of the Night by Alexander Chee is all about an Opera singer in France. The first half is phenomenal, the second half fell a little short, but it will immerse you in that time/society.

message 10: by Cheryl A (new)

Cheryl A | 935 comments And After the Fire by Lauren Belfer follows a manuscript by JS Bach thru generations of a Berlin family and ultimately into America by a WWII soldier. Not quite the opulence of Vienna, but it was a big hit in my IRL Historical Fiction Book Club.

message 11: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Deans (adriandeans) | 60 comments I'd like to read something from this period also - Amadeus is one of my favourite movies.

A hell of a lot was happening in that period - not just the music. If you look at (say) 1750 through to 1820 you've got the French Revolution and the Napoleonic wars for a start (and all their underpinning philosophies). Then there's the events of the new world (plus the American revolution), exploration (including Australia), revolution in South America, new sciences established, ballooning, attempts at revolution in Ireland. I could go on...

A very rich tapestry for someone to have a go at...

message 12: by Laura Tenfingers (new)

Laura Tenfingers | 16 comments I haven't read any of these (yet) but they're on my 'music' bookshelf. I also loved the film Amadeus.

Mozart's Sister
Liszt's Kiss
Symphony
Clara
The Violinist of Venice: A Story of Vivaldi