The Achaean Club discussion

The Song of Achilles
This topic is about The Song of Achilles
book of the month (BoTM) > The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller - June 2020

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chloé (last edited May 24, 2020 06:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chloé (chloesmusings) | 12 comments Mod
Voted for across two rounds on Instagram, The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller is our first of two winners for The Achaean Club's June & Pride Month picks.

Greece in the age of heroes. Patroclus, an awkward young prince, has been exiled to the court of King Peleus and his perfect son Achilles. By all rights their paths should never cross, but Achilles takes the shamed prince as his friend, and as they grow into young men skilled in the arts of war and medicine their bond blossoms into something deeper - despite the displeasure of Achilles' mother Thetis, a cruel sea goddess. But then word comes that Helen of Sparta has been kidnapped. Torn between love and fear for his friend, Patroclus journeys with Achilles to Troy, little knowing that the years that follow will test everything they hold dear.

A breathtaking and heartbreaking LGBTQA+ novel, The Song of Achilles breaths new life into Homer's epic poem The Iliad and the Trojan War.

All formats of the book are welcomed; hardback, paperback, ebook, audio, etc ... When discussing, please remember to head any spoiler-y comment with SPOILERS AHEAD as different readers read at different pace, or may choose to start the book later in the month.

Eleanor (masquesandphases) | 3 comments Well since my cope of Circe never turned up in the post, I’m so happy this was chosen as well because I already own it even though this will be my first time reading it!

Eleanor (masquesandphases) | 3 comments I had no plans for today, and the weather is nice (a rarity in Scotland) so I sat in the garden and read this straight through. It’s so good, I can’t believe I hadn’t read it earlier!

alice wrote: "I had no plans for today, and the weather is nice (a rarity in Scotland) so I sat in the garden and read this straight through. It’s so good, I can’t believe I hadn’t read it earlier!"

Ohh I'm so glad to see you liked it! Did you have some favourite parts?

SPOILERS AHEAD

These will also go up on my Instagram towards the end of the month, but as we're halfway through the month I wanted to take the time to write out some discussion questions for us to ponder on - whether or not you have finished the book, or are still reading.

So, without further adieu:

1. A major part of Greek mythology is free will vs pre-destined fate – how far do you think this extends to Achilles?

2. In May we read Circe – how does the characterisation of Odysseus differ between the two novels?

3. What do you think of Thetis’ opposition to Patroclus?

4. Keeping with Thetis, did you warm to her over the course of the novel? Why, or why not?

5. How familiar were you with the Trojan War and the outcome for Achilles and Patroclus before reading The Song of Achilles?

6. Achilles and Patroclus are much younger than other key characters (Odysseus, Agamemnon) – does this add another layer of tragedy to their story?

7. Achilles’ “fatal flaw” is his arrogance, what would you say is Patroclus’?

I look forward to reading your thoughts! Happy reading!