The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2020 > 30.8 - Aprilleigh's Task: The Karate Fan Club

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 28, 2020 05:10AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
30.8 - Aprilleigh’s Task: The Karate Fan Club

I’m hyper focused on karate right now, despite not being a karate student myself. My son studies Kenpo Karate and will be testing for his black belt at the end of June. He’s living and breathing karate every day until his belt test for an intensive six-week review, which means so am I.

This is complicated by the dojo being closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, so all his classes and review sessions have to be completed at home using Zoom and other internet applications. It’s a lot of work, but we’re trying to have fun with it, too.

This is a two-book task, and the combined page count must be at least 500 pages.

Although my son is still technically a kid, he is an advanced, or upper level, karate student. Therefore, MPG Childrens or Kids is permitted only if the Interest Level (IL) is either UG (US) or UY (UK). REQUIRED: Include the ARBF Interest Level in your post.

Book 1: A FICTION book with all of the letters in both KARATE and DOJO found in the title (ignore subtitles) and/or author’s name. You may NOT use books with either word found intact in the title. A book with two authors is acceptable, but only one author’s name may be used (your choice).

Examples:
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards by Lilian Jackson Braun (many books from this series will work)
At the Edge of Summer by Jessica Brockmole
Hollow Kingdom by Kira Jane Buxton
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Book 2: A NON-FICTION book with all of the letters in both KARATE and DOJO found in the title (ignore subtitles) and/or author’s name. You may NOT use books with either word found intact in the title. A book with two authors is acceptable, but only one author’s name may be used (your choice).

Examples:
How to Read a Book by Mortimer J. Adler
The Stardust Revolution by Jacob Berkowitz
The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee
The Man Who Played with Fire by Jan Stocklassa

message 3: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1055 comments Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by TraceyL (new)

TraceyL | 862 comments Can books with more than 2 authors be used if only one author's name is used? Or is it limited to 2 or less?

message 6: by Aprilleigh (last edited May 26, 2020 06:57AM) (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1055 comments TraceyL wrote: "Can books with more than 2 authors be used if only one author's name is used? Or is it limited to 2 or less?"

One author or two authors only, and only one of the author's names may be used.

They must be authors - not editors, translators, adaptors, etc.

message 7: by Angie (Literary Labors) (last edited May 27, 2020 05:52PM) (new)

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) | 126 comments I just want to make sure I’m understanding this right. We can’t use subtitles?

message 8: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1055 comments Angie (Literary Labors) wrote: "i just want to make sure I’m understanding this right. We can’t use subtitles?"

Correct, no subtitles.

message 9: by Angie (Literary Labors) (last edited May 27, 2020 05:50PM) (new)

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) | 126 comments Will this work for fiction? Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey It has a MPG of YA.

message 10: by Angie (Literary Labors) (last edited May 27, 2020 05:53PM) (new)

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) | 126 comments Jeremy Poldark by Winston Graham fits if anyone is looking for fiction. Sadly this is book 3 in the series and I’ve only read book 1.

message 11: by Aprilleigh (last edited May 27, 2020 06:03PM) (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1055 comments Angie (Literary Labors) wrote: "Will this work for fiction? Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey It has a MPG of YA."

Yes, this works for Book 1

message 12: by Aprilleigh (last edited May 27, 2020 06:04PM) (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1055 comments Angie (Literary Labors) wrote: "Jeremy Poldark by Winston Graham fits if anyone is looking for fiction. Sadly this is book 3 in the series and I’ve only read book 1."

Yes, this works for Book 1.

You could always fit the second book in the series to another task.

message 14: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1055 comments Angie (Literary Labors) wrote: "For anyone looking for a NF book: Ballad of the Whiskey Robber: A True Story of Bank Heists, Ice Hockey, Transylvanian Pelt Smuggling, Moonlighting Detectives, and Broken Hearts by [au..."

Agreed, this works for Book 2

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson

I LOVE HER writing so yeaaaah!

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) | 126 comments Aprilleigh wrote: "Angie (Literary Labors) wrote: "i just want to make sure I’m understanding this right. We can’t use subtitles?"

Correct, no subtitles."

Got it. Thank you.

message 17: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1055 comments Nicole wrote: "A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson

I LOVE HER writing so yeaaaah!"

Yes, this works for Book 1

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Notes from a Young Black Chef

would this work for book 2? Joshua David Stein is listed as an author (it is a memoir written with someone's help)

Thanks!

message 19: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1055 comments Nicole wrote: "Notes from a Young Black Chef

would this work for book 2? Joshua David Stein is listed as an author (it is a memoir written with someone's help)

Thanks!"

Yes, this works for Book 2.