Play Book Tag discussion

Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows
This topic is about Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows
May 2020: Comedy > [PB]Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows, by Balli Kaur Jaswal, 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited May 24, 2020 12:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5229 comments I highly recommend this book for everyone in this group. There is so much going on in the book, it really exceeded my expectations. It works for both the comedy and suspense tags, and fits many other genres and interests. A few erotic stories are included and they're lovely. They're less graphic than in most modern romance books.

A college educated Londoner of Punjabi descent, takes a part time job teaching a creative writing class to women in a traditional Punjabi neighborhood. On the first day of class she discovers that only one woman in the class knows how to write. The class turns into something she wouldn't have anticipated. There is also a threat in the neighborhood and a murder mystery.

I loved the cultural nuances in the book, the communication and teaching issues, and interesting variations on arranged marriages. A transformation gradually took place in individual attitudes, family relationships, and in the neighborhood. I made additional comments in the buddy read thread regarding the communications and teaching process in the story (with some mild spoilers).

Booknblues | 5782 comments Nancy, great review. You managed to capture all of the nuances in the book with your review.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5229 comments Thanks. I really want to read more books that can surprise us like this. I want to read more books that don't fit neatly into a box, and I love anything cross-cultural. The generational differences here were interesting too.