Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Issues > Deleting a whole book

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bradley (new)

Bradley (arctunn) | 14 comments https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

All five of these editions refer to a non-existent book. I am the author and I was attempting to change covers and have a place-holder for the upcoming edition and made a hash of it all.

If someone could please delete every Dead End and Electric Nidhogg and the Seed, I would greatly appreciate it.

message 2: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 2808 comments Why don't you just give us the correct details so we can edit and fix the editions? Like Emily told you here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Bradley (new)

Bradley (arctunn) | 14 comments Ok, then, in that case, can you completely remove the series information? And the covers for the other four editions are completely wrong (look at the titles).

This link is the closest one I can come to a correct listing but it is not linked to a series. I'm unable to modify that information or delete the other covers at all.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

message 4: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 2808 comments Well, please tell us

title (as it is today)

in which format(s) the book will be published (paperback, hardcover, ebook, Kindle edition)

ISBN and/or ASIN if you already have them

publisher (or if it's self-published)

publication date if you have an idea

I guess this one https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5... has the (placeholder) cover you wish to show at the moment

Why should the series be deleted? Is it not book #3 anymore?

Please provide the details because if you just say "all the details are wrong" we don't know what to do with them (and since some people have already shelved the book, we prefer not to lose all their data by deleting the book but rather edit the book with the correct info)

message 5: by Bradley (last edited May 24, 2020 06:38AM) (new)

Bradley (arctunn) | 14 comments Moloch wrote: "Well, please tell us

title (as it is today)

----
The Electric Nidhogg and the Seed
----

in which format(s) the book will be published (paperback, hardcover, ebook, Kindle edition)

---
No edition because while it has been written, absolutely no one has even READ it, let alone publish it in any way, shape, or form.
---

ISBN and/or ASIN if you already have them

---
None, for the reasons above.

This title is not a part of a series. It is standalone.

If you want to have the reason why it has a series tag now, it's simple: Dead End was the third book in the series but I killed it. Now, The Electric Nidhogg and the Seed CONTAINS the novel, but this book has the completely re-written forms of both Darkside Earther and Degrading Orbits as well.

There are truly substantial and sometimes wild changes. The main characters, events, and even the genre have changed.

I would have been fine with just deleting the entire book and starting fresh, but apparently that isn't an option, so we must do it this way.

message 6: by Bradley (last edited May 24, 2020 02:29PM) (new)

Bradley (arctunn) | 14 comments I just updated my profile and discovered that all the new work I did to the book (Electric Nidhogg) has been erased. This was the book I WANTED.

This listing had five editions with two for Electric Nidhogg (the correct one) and three editions for Dead End (which does not exist in any shape or form.)

Now, there are ONLY the three editions of Dead End -- a book that no longer exists. In fact, it was never published.

As I see it, there are two possible solutions to this problem:

We either delete the remaining three editions or we delete two of them and it's clear connection to any series at all.

If there is one edition left without a connection to the series and we also correct the book cover, I'm sure I can update the rest of the information.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13538 comments Bradley wrote: "I just updated my profile and discovered that all the new work I did to the book (Electric Nidhogg) has been erased. This was the book I WANTED."

I don't know if the librarian who merged them saw this discussion or not, but since you say the incorrect ones were merged, I suggest writing to Support and asking them what to do at this point. I would be really specific and also give them a link to this thread for context.

message 8: by Bradley (new)

Bradley (arctunn) | 14 comments Thank you, both of you. :)

message 9: by Bradley (last edited May 24, 2020 07:26PM) (new)

Bradley (arctunn) | 14 comments Thank you, C.

As per your prior comment, I did send a direct message with all the pertinent information.

I browed the articles and I'm aware of all these options... even from the time I was going over and making changes with this book and others before it. The only two "features" or "glitches" in the system that I'm having trouble with are the ones that prevent me from completely removing a cover to replace it with another. The reason I had so many issues with extra editions was that I wanted to test out different covers for my own edification. I made them, decided I hated them and then discovered there was absolutely nothing I could do to get rid of them. If I could have just swapped the new one I had made for The Electric Nidhogg and the Seed with Dead End, then I could make all the other ducks fall into line and I wouldn't have an issue anymore.. (aside from the extra series information that doesn't give *me* the chance to edit at all.)

Of course, from a purely logical standpoint, it would be really, really weird to see two other covers with a completely different title on them and no record anywhere in the world of them having been published, but I guess that's a problem for people trying to find the nonexistent book. I'm just trying to clean house.

I really don't care how we accomplish this as long as we're able to do SOMETHING. I don't know. Remove all the Series information from the three that exist now, get some kind of override for the graphic on all three and replace it with the correct picture on all three?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.