Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Updating cover that incorrectly has spine in image

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zach (new)

Zach Ulibarri | 7 comments The 1961 Heritage Press edition of the Nibelungenlied has a scan of the cover that incorrectly includes the spine of the book as though it's on the cover.

I have scanned my own copy, mirrored here: https://imgur.com/a/HOpjFIV

As you can see, the spine adds no information beyond what's on the cover.

However, according to the Librarian Manual "Replacing or removing the cover of an existing edition, including the covers of advance reader copies, is in violation of Goodreads policy." There is no verbiage that explains what is to be done if the cover is incorrect. The guide has information about how to add alternate covers, but what is the etiquette for covers that are simply wrong?
https://help.goodreads.com/s/article/...

It would seem logical that we Librarians should be able to fix incorrect covers without having to jump through hoops, but the verbiage appears to be worded strongly against this.

Question 1: Can I simply delete the old cover which incorrectly has the spine in the image and replace with my scan that is correct?

Question 2: Can we change the verbiage of the Librarian Manual to allow us to change incorrect covers without feeling like we're breaking a rule? I don't feel like I should have to ask permission to do this, but the rules are written such that I feel I could get my Librarian status revoked for fixing an obvious error.

message 2: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8670 comments I have included the spine in uploaded scanned images if the cover has not information, or is not easy to read, but only in that case. And I usually note that.

message 3: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13730 comments Suzi wrote: "I have included the spine in uploaded scanned images if the cover has not information, or is not easy to read, but only in that case. And I usually note that."

I also do that. A blank cover or with only an image is useless.

message 4: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 2799 comments I don't, but I can see your point. I think that the title page would be better, but I've been told not to use it.

message 5: by Zach (new)

Zach Ulibarri | 7 comments In this case, the cover actually does say Nibelungenlied, although the stylized script may be difficult to read.

It seems that my notes are not reflected in the librarian changelog for some reason, as C. points out. I tried adding notes after the fact, but it seems since these didn't actually include a change to the book data, the notes were not recorded when I select "Save Changes."

I've thus added a Librarian Note for this title to explain what I've done.

message 6: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13730 comments Change notes should be added when uploading the new cover. They do not stick when deleting a cover or after 'save changes' has already been clicked.

A better alternative to adding a Librarian Note in cases like these is adding a Librarian Comment in the box found at the bottom of the edit page.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13538 comments To get a comment on there after the fact I always edit the description by putting a space at the end of it and then that was my "change." Other people probably have other methods. I would not delete the cover and reload it.

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13730 comments C. wrote: "HI lethe, how do you think he should get that Librarian Comment to save now. He says he tried after the fact.

I see you tell us when you delete the cover, don't bother with the comment but when y..."

A librarian comment is different from a change comment and can be added at any time. It is not visible in the changelog, but at the bottom of the edit page.

Emily's method will work too, although I have had problems getting to save minimal changes like that to descriptions (and then my change comment would not save either).