Sky is full of stars! > Astronomy!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by KM Abiduzzaman (new)

KM Abiduzzaman | 77 comments Discuss on astronomy and share your questions

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

What r ur fav constellations?

message 3: by KM Abiduzzaman (new)

KM Abiduzzaman | 77 comments virgo, yours?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Idk lol i like the Orian one

message 5: by KM Abiduzzaman (new)

KM Abiduzzaman | 77 comments Marie, a question for you-
How do we know the mass of the earth?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Idk... do we know the mass of the earth??

message 7: by KM Abiduzzaman (last edited May 24, 2020 08:55PM) (new)

KM Abiduzzaman | 77 comments Okay-

Circumference of earth: 40075.017 km
Mass of earth: 5.97237×10^24 kg
Age of earth: ~4.5 billion years

How do we get the numbers?
just a food for thought.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2 comments You have to take into account the density of each of the levels of earth as well as everything on the crust too

message 10: by KM Abiduzzaman (new)

KM Abiduzzaman | 77 comments Sara wrote: "You have to take into account the density of each of the levels of earth as well as everything on the crust too"

This is a good solution, but first you need to know the values-
1) the density of different layers. ( which isn't impossible)
2) the volume of different layers. ( which I think next to impossible, cause you can't measure it exactly)

message 11: by Sean Sparks (new)

Sean Sparks | 20 comments I think it is interesting that we speak of astronomical events as occurring in real time (now), when in reality they have occurred between thousands and millions or even billions of years in the past. If we ever discover evidence of intelligent life out in the vastness of space, whether through radio signals, spectrography or other means, what are the chances that said intelligent life still exists?

message 12: by Sean Sparks (new)

Sean Sparks | 20 comments Following up from my last post, I have questions about time itself. Because we as humans live in a linear fashion from birth to dust and have the capacity for self awareness while having the ability to communicate with one another, does time (in the linear sense) actually exist? Is time just an abstract process that we as a species have invented because we have memory, thought, and emotion and does it even really have serve a purpose in the grand infinite scheme of things as defined by the esoteric or exoteric? What meaning(s) can time have for species that are unaware?

message 13: by KM Abiduzzaman (new)

KM Abiduzzaman | 77 comments Sean Sparks wrote: "I think it is interesting that we speak of astronomical events as occurring in real time (now), when in reality they have occurred between thousands and millions or even billions of years in the pa..."

Considering the mechanism of evolution, I think the chances are much lower.

message 14: by Sean Sparks (new)

Sean Sparks | 20 comments I agree with your assessment. Given a reverse perspective, by the time extraterrestrials are even aware of our presence, we will likely not be here to welcome or even oppose a visit! :)

message 15: by KM Abiduzzaman (last edited May 25, 2020 11:52AM) (new)

KM Abiduzzaman | 77 comments Sean Sparks wrote: "I agree with your assessment. Given a reverse perspective, by the time extraterrestrials are even aware of our presence, we will likely not be here to welcome or even oppose a visit! :)"

True, it's so sad. :)

message 16: by KM Abiduzzaman (new)

KM Abiduzzaman | 77 comments Sean Sparks wrote: "I agree with your assessment. Given a reverse perspective, by the time extraterrestrials are even aware of our presence, we will likely not be here to welcome or even oppose a visit! :)"

Have you ever been NASA?

message 17: by Sean Sparks (new)

Sean Sparks | 20 comments When I was about 12 years old, I visited NASA’s Mission Control in Houston, Texas. They had a number of cool displays, but the thing that I remember the most was the control room was much smaller than it appeared on the television or movies! LOL!

Alas, I haven’t ever been in the organization of NASA, I’m just a curious soul that reads as my interests take me. For a number of years I wouldn’t read any fiction as I felt it had nothing to teach me. In recent years I have changed my perception on fiction as I realized that fiction gives you glimpses of another’s perspectives and life experiences and unlock more of the mystery of the human psyche. So even now, I sometimes have to force myself to read fiction, although I must admit, I enjoy the connection with the writer’s mind and characters.

message 18: by KM Abiduzzaman (new)

KM Abiduzzaman | 77 comments I entirely agree with you.
But sometimes the non-fictions aren't engaging enough like fictions.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Non fictions make me sleepy...

message 20: by KM Abiduzzaman (new)

KM Abiduzzaman | 77 comments bernadette;) wrote: "Non fictions make me sleepy..."

True, that's why I said that nonfictions are not as engaging as fictions.

But if you need to know something, you can't avoid the nonfiction.
( Hey, That means you can read a nonfiction when you can't sleep at night)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha yeaa, especially history books