Top Shelf Society discussion

Emma > Check-In!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 63 comments Mod
Hello, Top-Shelfers! With it being only one more week until our live show, I thought it might be nice if we all just checked in.

Some questions you can answer:
1. Are you enjoying the book so far (or have you finished it)?
2. Do you enjoy Jane Austen's writing style?
3. Has the book frustrated, shocked, or surprised you?
(If you include a spoiler, just write "SPOILER" at the top of your message).

message 2: by Kristin (new)

So, to get us started, I finished Emma a few weeks ago. I don't want to give away too many of my thoughts before the live show, but I will say that I was frustrated a lot in this story: with our main character, with the romance.

Of course, loving Jane Austen as I do, I very much loved the writing style, but after not reading one of her books for a few years, I will say it took some getting used to for me to get back into the rhythm of her writing.

message 3: by Elise (new)

Elise (readingelise) I finished the book last night :). At times I had a hard time getting into it and seemed to have a wandering mind. I feel like I would have benefited from watching the movie first, but regardless of that I did enjoy it and can see myself re-reading this in the future. So excited for the live show!

message 4: by Kristin (new)

Hi, Elise! I COMPLETELY relate on how difficult it was to get back into the writing, but I’m so happy you pushed through and ended up liking it! ♥️ do you think you will watch the movie now? (Also, we’re looking forward to the live show too and so happy you will joining us!)

message 5: by Elise (new)

Elise (readingelise) Hi Kristen, I've really been debating getting a digital copy of the one that just came out haha! Might have to put it on my summer movies to watch :D

message 6: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (misscloudslittlelibrary) | 16 comments 1. I thought I was well on track to finish it in time, but I realized on the weekend I am very far behind where I should be! I'm desperately trying to catch up. I am enjoying it though!
2. I do like Austen's writing style, but it does take me a while to get into... I remember trying and stopping Pride and Prejudice multiple times before giving up and watching the movie.. and since then, I've read P and P at least 6 times (It's one of my all time favourites). I think Emma will require a second read as well, to make sure I fully 'get it all' haha.
3. I've been surprised by how real some of the characters are - Mrs Bates, for example, is someone I can very clearly picture - I feel like I've met a few Mrs Bates' over the years. She makes me laugh a lot, but I think I would share Emma's feelings, were I to meet her in real life.

message 7: by Kristin (new)

Kelli wrote: "1. I thought I was well on track to finish it in time, but I realized on the weekend I am very far behind where I should be! I'm desperately trying to catch up. I am enjoying it though!
2. I do lik..."

hi, kelli! oh, now worries about getting behind! definitely don't put too much pressure on yourself to finish it in time! just do the best you can, and we will have spoiler free sections of our show as well! :)

i could not agree with you more on the writing style! it took a while for me to get into it as well, but then i found it to be really comforting, like returning to an old world I used to live in :) (i love pride and prejudice as well)

oh, poor, sweet Mrs Bates :) i feel the same way. She is satirized in a way similar to Mrs. Elton, but Mrs. Bates is a much purer, genuine soul.

I'm so happy you're enjoying the book so far!