What's Next? discussion

Autumn (Seasonal, #1)
This topic is about Autumn
Book Reviews (2020) > Book Review: Autumn

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Eric Schatz | 359 comments Mod
First of four "seasons" series. Original story of unique 30-year friendship b/t centenarian and young woman from youth to early adulthood. Set in London around Brexit and filled with images of dying - the season - e.g., the older main character; UK; and focus on antiques. There are moments of great prose. I wanted to like more than I did, although gets stronger in the second half. Will stick with the series for at least the next season.

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy B (sbenemer) | 104 comments Thanks for highlighting this book. I hadn’t heard of it before but when I saw the author was Ali Smith, I figured this will be good. I haven’t read any of her works yet but I’ve had How to Be Both on my shelves for years. She’s wildly popular in England where we lived for a long time, and it would be interesting to read about the events leading up to Brexit, the Profumo scandal and other British cornerstone events. I like that I can read three of the four books in the series now and that # 4, Summer, is being published in a few weeks. Will check it out.

Belinda (beribel) | 86 comments Mod
I like Autumn, but really enjoyed Winter. I think it's a bit due to my expectation when I first read Autumn. I'm now eager to read Spring when Winter is still fresh on my mind as one of the comments I read on the book said it's a fun experience reading them back to back.