What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's historical fiction book about Quakers in Cromwell's England - involved Psalm 46:4 and street children

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Disclaimer: I have never actually read this book. I'm trying to find a book that my mother once read and could never find again. I'm working from her second-hand description.

She says she read it as a child. She couldn't remember how old she was, so to be generous, say between 1964 and 1978. The book was in her school library. She couldn't remember if the book was new at the time she read it.

She said it took place in Cromwell's England, so 17th century. She was pretty sure it involved either Quakers or Puritans, but she leaned toward Quakers. A running theme through the book was Psalm 46:4, "There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God."

The main characters were a boy and a girl. At one point they were on the street, although I'm not sure if they were homeless or on the run. My mom said she learned a lot about street children from that time period. The girl apparently was educated enough to know how words should be spelled, but the boy thought words should be spelled however made sense to that particular person.

Sorry, I know this is pretty vague. I hope it's enough. If anyone has any idea of what the title and author of this book could be, I would appreciate it.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Lark?

Through the Fire?

The Quaker Song?"

I showed them to her, and she thinks Lark or The Quaker Song could possibly be it. We need to do more research to be sure, but I'll keep you updated. Thank you so much!

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16853 comments Awesome, fingers crossed!

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Awesome, fingers crossed!"

So Mom says it isn't Lark, and we haven't been able to find The Quaker Song yet. However, she says Lark is an amazing book.