Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2020 Plans > Monica’s Procrastinated 2020 AtY reading plan

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (last edited Jun 26, 2020 02:18PM) (new)

Monica Wright | 11 comments Not too late to the reading party, right? I’m retroactively applying some of the books I’ve already read this year to prompts, since I just discovered this challenge in the middle of MAY. Looking forward to this; I love lists and this was fun to put together. I will likely alter some things throughout the year, but here is a basic outline:

✔️1. A book with a title that doesn't contain the letters A, T or Y - In Cold Blood 🎧
✔️2. A book by an author whose last name is one syllable - Little Weirds by Jenny Slate 🎧
✔️3. A book that you are prompted to read because of something you read in 2019 - Wildflower by Drew Barrymore 🎧
4. A book set in a place or time that you wouldn't want to live - Unorthodox
5. The first book in a series that you have not started - My Brilliant Friend
6. A book with a mode of transportation on the cover - The Alice Project
7. A book set in the Southern Hemisphere - The House of Spirits
8. A book with a two-word title where the first word is "The"- The Luminaries OR The Nest
✔️9. A book that can be read in a day - We Should All Be Feminists🎧
✔️10. A book that is between 400-600 pages - Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
✔️11. A book originally published in a year that is a prime number - A Simple Favor 🎧
12. A book that is a collaboration between 2 or more people - All the Ways We Said Goodbye
13. A prompt from a previous Around the Year in 52 Books challenge - Devil in the White City (Gilmore Girl’s reading list)
14. A book by an author on the Abe List of 100 Essential Female Writers - Where’d You Go, Bernadette?
15. A book set in a global city - A Woman in Berlin
16. ✔️A book set in a rural or sparsely populated area - I Am I Am I Am 🎧
17. A book with a neurodiverse character - The Silent Patient
18. A book by an author you've only read once before - The Testaments
19. A fantasy book - Rivers of London
20. The 20th book [on your TBR, in a series, by an author, on a list, etc.] -
21. A book related to Maximilian Hell, the noted astronomer and Jesuit Priest who was born in 1720 - Ballad of the Whiskey Robber
✔️22. A book with the major theme of survival - In Order to Live 🎧
✔️23. A book featuring an LGBTQIA+ character or by an LGBTQIA+ author - Over the Top by Jonathan VanNess 🎧
24. A book with an emotion in the title - Pride and Prejudice
25. A book related to the arts - Boom by Michael Shnayerson or The Art Forger
26. A book from the 2019 Goodreads Choice Awards - My Sister, The Serial Killer
27. A history or historical fiction - The Woman Who Smashed Codes
28. A book by an Australian, Canadian or New Zealand author - The Bone People
29. An underrated book, a hidden gem or a lesser known book - The Buddha’s Return OR The Crying Book
30. A book from the New York Times '100 Notable Books' list for any year - Everything Under
✔️31. A book inspired by a leading news story - Know My Name by Chanel Miller
32. A book related to the 2020 Olympic Summer Games in Japan - Kafka On The Shore
33. A book about a non-traditional family - Little Fires Everywhere
✔️34. A book from a genre or sub genre that starts with a letter in your name - I’ll Be Gone In the Dark
✔️35. A book with a geometric pattern or element on the cover - Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle
36. A book from your TBR/wishlist that you don't recognize, recall putting there, or put there on a whim - Quiet OR The Revisioners
37. Two books that are related to each other as a pair of binary opposites: Book #1 - Bonk (life)
38. Two books that are related to each other as a pair of binary opposites: Book #2 - Stiff (death)
39. A book by an author whose real name(s) you're not quite sure how to pronounce - The Melancholy of Resistance By László Krasznahorkai or Skylark by Dezső Kosztolányi
40. A book with a place name in the title - Columbine
✔️41. A mystery - The Shadow of the Wind
✔️42. A book that was nominated for one of the ‘10 Most Coveted Literary Prizes in the World’ - Between the World and Me🎧
✔️43. A book related to one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse - All the Light We Cannot See
44. A book related to witches - The Witches of New York
45. A book by the same author who wrote one of your best reads in 2019 or 2018 - The Path Between Us (enneagram book...may switch to something else.)
46. A book about an event or era in history taken from the Billy Joel song "We Didn't Start the Fire" - A Gentleman in Moscow OR The Old Man and the Sea (because let’s be real, I may be pressed for time.)
47. A classic book you've always meant to read - Doctor Zhivago
✔️48. A book published in 2020 - The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires🎧
✔️49. A book that fits a prompt from the list of suggestions that didn't win - Scrappy Little Nobody 🎧
50. A book with a silhouette on the cover - An Unnecessary Woman
51. A book with an "-ing" word in the title - Becoming🎧
✔️52. A book related to time - The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle 🎧

message 2: by Monica (last edited Jun 29, 2020 08:55PM) (new)

Monica Wright | 11 comments I am doing some re-arranging. My #37 and #38 binary opposites are now All the Light We Cannot See opposite The Things We Cannot Say for the language play opposing each other..cannot see vs. cannot say...you get it. Plus, both books are historical fiction from WWII, but from different countries. (France/Germany and Poland.)

Five books behind schedule but hey I started this in May! I got this.

message 3: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Robin P | 1774 comments Mod
Yes, you got it! The prompts are varied enough that even starting later you can match things up, which is the fun part.

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica Wright | 11 comments Wanted to pop in to share my progress. 🍃=currently reading/recently started
🦙=started reading a while ago, not binge-reading. Llama has no real significance.

✔️1. A book with a title that doesn't contain the letters A, T or Y - Becoming
✔️2. A book by an author whose last name is one syllable - Little Weirds by Jenny Slate 🎧
✔️3. A book that you are prompted to read because of something you read in 2019 - Wildflower by Drew Barrymore 🎧 and Yes Please by Amy Poehler 🎧
✔️4. A book set in a place or time that you wouldn't want to live - Home Before Dark
✔️7. A book set in the Southern Hemisphere - Born a Crime🎧
✔️8. A book with a two-word title where the first word is "The"- The Sacrament🎧
✔️9. A book that can be read in a day - We Should All be Feminists🎧
✔️11. A book originally published in a year that is a prime number - A Simple Favor 🎧
12. A book that is a collaboration between 2 or more people - All the Ways We Said Goodbye
13. A prompt from a previous Around the Year in 52 Books challenge - Devil in the White City (Gilmore Girl’s reading list)
🍃14. A book by an author on the Abe List of 100 Essential Female Writers - Where’d You Go, Bernadette? OR The Luminaries OR The Dutch House OR The Poisonwood Bible OR A Good Man Is Hard To Find
15. A book set in a global city - Bright Lights, Big City
✔️16. A book set in a rural or sparsely populated area - I Am I Am I Am 🎧
✔️17. A book with a neurodiverse character - The Silent Patient 🎧
🦙18. A book by an author you've only read once before - The Idiot by Elif Batuman
✔️19. A fantasy book - The Strange Case of the Alchemist’s Daughter* 🎧
✔️20. The 20th book [on your TBR, in a series, by an author, on a list, etc.] - Mrs. Everything🎧
21. A book related to Maximilian Hell, the noted astronomer and Jesuit Priest who was born in 1720 - Pride and Prejudice
✔️22. A book with the major theme of survival - In Order to Live 🎧
✔️23. A book featuring an LGBTQIA+ character or by an LGBTQIA+ author - Over the Top by Jonathan VanNess 🎧
🍃24. A book with an emotion in the title - So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed
✔️25. A book related to the arts - The Art Forger🎧
✔️26. A book from the 2019 Goodreads Choice Awards - My Sister, The Serial Killer🎧
27. A history or historical fiction - The Nightingale
✔️28. A book by an Australian, Canadian or New Zealand author - All the Birds, Singing
✔️29. An underrated book, a hidden gem or a lesser known book - The Crying Book
✔️30. A book from the New York Times '100 Notable Books' list for any year - Everything Under
✔️31. A book inspired by a leading news story - Know My Name by Chanel Miller🎧
32. A book related to the 2020 Olympic Summer Games in Japan - Kafka On The Shore
🍃33. A book about a non-traditional family - Little Fires Everywhere
✔️34. A book from a genre or sub genre that starts with a letter in your name - I’ll Be Gone In the Dark
✔️35. A book with a geometric pattern or element on the cover - Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle
36. A book from your TBR/wishlist that you don't recognize, recall putting there, or put there on a whim - The Revisioners OR The Luminaries
✔️37. Two books that are related to each other as a pair of binary opposites: Book #1 - All the Light We Cannot See
✔️38. Two books that are related to each other as a pair of binary opposites: Book #2 - The Things We Cannot Say 🎧
39. A book by an author whose real name(s) you're not quite sure how to pronounce - The Melancholy of Resistance By László Krasznahorkai or Skylark by Dezső Kosztolányi
40. A book with a place name in the title - Rivers of London
✔️42. A book that was nominated for one of the ‘10 Most Coveted Literary Prizes in the World’ - Between the World and Me
43. A book related to one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse - The Great Believers
✔️44. A book related to witches - The Familiars🎧
✔️45. A book by the same author who wrote one of your best reads in 2019 or 2018 - The Lost Girls - I’m applying this loosely. I didn’t read a lot during this time, but I listened to a LOT of true crime podcast. So, I picked a book inspired by those stories.
🦙46. A book about an event or era in history taken from the Billy Joel song "We Didn't Start the Fire" - A Gentleman in Moscow
✔️47. A classic book you've always meant to read - In Cold Blood
48. A book published in 2020 - Mexican Gothic OR The Night Swim
✔️49. A book that fits a prompt from the list of suggestions that didn't win - Scrappy Little Nobody 🎧
50. A book with a silhouette on the cover - The Vanishing Half
✔️51. A book with an "-ing" word in the title - The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires🎧

Books that got kicked off the list:
Unorthodox
The Brief, Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao
The Revisioners
The Bone People
Blood Meridian
Quiet
Game of Thrones
An Unnecessary Woman
The Woman Who Smashed Codes
The Nest
A Woman in Berlin
Pretty Little Liars
Ballad of Whiskey Robber
The Power and the Glory
Columbine
Conjure Women
Love is a Mixtape

message 5: by Monica (new)

Monica Wright | 11 comments I am on track, and have 8 books to go. Did some rearranging of the prompts once again, but I think it’s safe to say this is my final itinerary:

✔️1. A book with a title that doesn't contain the letters A, T or Y - Becoming
✔️3. A book that you are prompted to read because of something you read in 2019 - Wildflower by Drew Barrymore 🎧 and Yes Please by Amy Poehler 🎧
✔️4. A book set in a place or time that you wouldn't want to live - Home Before Dark
✔️7. A book set in the Southern Hemisphere - Born a Crime🎧
✔️8. A book with a two-word title where the first word is "The"- The Sacrament🎧
✔️9. A book that can be read in a day - We Should All be Feminists🎧
✔️14. A book by an author on the Abe List of 100 Essential Female Writers - The Dutch House 🎧
✔️15. A book set in a global city - The Dinner by Herman Koch🎧
✔️16. A book set in a rural or sparsely populated area - Sisters OR Year of the Witching🎧
✔️17. A book with a neurodiverse character - The Silent Patient 🎧
✔️18. A book by an author you've only read once before - The Idiot by Elif Batuman
✔️19. A fantasy book - The Strange Case of the Alchemist’s Daughter* 🎧
✔️20. The 20th book [on your TBR, in a series, by an author, on a list, etc.] - Mrs. Everything🎧
21. A book related to Maximilian Hell, the noted astronomer and Jesuit Priest who was born in 1720 - Pride and Prejudice
✔️22. A book with the major theme of survival - I Am, I Am, I Am 🎧
✔️24. A book with an emotion in the title - So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed
✔️25. A book related to the arts - The Art Forger🎧
✔️26. A book from the 2019 Goodreads Choice Awards - My Sister, The Serial Killer🎧
✔️27. A history or historical fiction - The Nightingale
✔️28. A book by an Australian, Canadian or New Zealand author - All the Birds, Singing
✔️29. An underrated book, a hidden gem or a lesser known book - The Crying Book
✔️30. A book from the New York Times '100 Notable Books' list for any year - Everything Under
✔️31. A book inspired by a leading news story - Know My Name by Chanel Miller🎧
32. A book related to the 2020 Olympic Summer Games in Japan - The Woman in the Dunes
✔️33. A book about a non-traditional family - Little Fires Everywhere
✔️36. A book from your TBR/wishlist that you don't recognize, recall putting there, or put there on a whim - Just Mercy🎧
✔️37. Two books that are related to each other as a pair of binary opposites: Book #1 - All the Light We Cannot See
✔️38. Two books that are related to each other as a pair of binary opposites: Book #2 - The Things We Cannot Say 🎧
✔️39. A book by an author whose real name(s) you're not quite sure how to pronounce - Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi
40. A book with a place name in the title - Gentleman in Moscow
✔️42. A book that was nominated for one of the ‘10 Most Coveted Literary Prizes in the World’ - Between the World and Me
✔️43. A book related to one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse - Hamnet (plague)
✔️44. A book related to witches - The Familiars🎧
✔️45. A book by the same author who wrote one of your best reads in 2019 or 2018 - The Lost Girls - I’m applying this loosely. I didn’t read a lot during this time, but I listened to a LOT of true crime podcasts. So, I picked a book inspired by those stories.
✔️46. A book about an event or era in history taken from the Billy Joel song "We Didn't Start the Fire" - In Order to Live🎧 (North Korea)
✔️47. A classic book you've always meant to read - In Cold Blood
✔️48. A book published in 2020 - The Night Swim
50. A book with a silhouette on the cover - Winter Counts
✔️51. A book with an "-ing" word in the title - The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires🎧