Biography, Autobiography, Memoir discussion

your book ratings

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2463 comments When you rate your books, what are you thinking when you give it stars?

Mine are

1 star...boring, didnt finish
2 stars....got through but it was unsatisfying
3 stars...it was ok but nothing special, good try author...
4 stars...pretty good, I liked it
5 stars...amazing, wonderful, couldnt put it down, you must read this!

message 2: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments 1 star: hated it!
2 stars: not worth the effort, even if I did get through it
3 stars: pretty decent, even if flawed
4 stars: dang good
5 stars: loved it!

message 3: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 2938 comments Mod
I agree with both of you! To get a 5 star rating from me it has to be a 'can't put down-er', one I didnt want to ever end. Very few books get a 1 star because usually I will not finish them and if I don't finish I usually do not rate them. An exception might be if I read it for a challenge so then I had to finish. I might try to read it again later and occasionally have liked them better the second try.

message 4: by Selina (last edited May 24, 2020 11:12AM) (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2463 comments I keep forgetting to put my star rating when I review a book on here. I thought people might read my review and figure out if I liked it or not from what I wrote....but some only look at the stars.

Sometimes I perversely look at a books profile and go looking at all the one or two star reviews to figure out what is wrong with the book I just read to see if anyone picked up the same things I did.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 1332 comments I have to go with Fishface. Mostly because I rarely don't finish a book.

message 6: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments It has to be really appalling for me not to finish it.

message 7: by Koren (new)

Selina wrote: "I keep forgetting to put my star rating when I review a book on here. I thought people might read my review and figure out if I liked it or not from what I wrote....but some only look at the stars...."

I will just look at the star rating if I'm afraid the reviews will have spoilers. I will wait until I'm done to read reviews but usually only the first few. When a book has hundreds or thousands of reviews you just cant read them all.

message 8: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2463 comments haha I am not that OCD about reviews.

I only really read reviews of a book I'm reading after I've finished a book. Otherwise the reviews on this group are more the previews for me. Everyone on here does good reviews there don't tend to be spoilers, I am careful not to recount the entire plot and spoil a book for others...

message 9: by Koren (new)

Selina wrote: "haha I am not that OCD about reviews.

I only really read reviews of a book I'm reading after I've finished a book. Otherwise the reviews on this group are more the previews for me. Everyone on he..."

I try not to tell too much about the book or repeat information you can get if you click on the book. I try not to write a long review. I know personally I will skip a review that is really long.

message 10: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 33 comments 1 star - Awful.
2 stars - Boring.
3 stars - Fine.
4 stars - Good almost great but missing something
5 Stars - Mind blowing. Reading slump ender. Made me happy.

message 11: by Koren (new)

Erin wrote: "1 star - Awful.
2 stars - Boring.
3 stars - Fine.
4 stars - Good almost great but missing something
5 Stars - Mind blowing. Reading slump ender. Made me happy."

Erin, do you finish a one or two star book?