What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Orlando
This topic is about Orlando
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Adult Romance/Drama/Fantasy. Protagonist transitions through different personalities separated by centuries. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Benjamin (last edited May 23, 2020 09:21AM) (new) - added it

Benjamin Minkowitsch | 3 comments Year read: ~2011~2014
Book cover: I think it was fairly uniformly teal/turquoise.
Author: 90% sure they were female.
Book metadata: Probably written post-2000, close to 2010 but I'm not completely sure that it wasn't a republished older book.
Setting: What I read felt like 18th to early 20th century Europe, but the book likely spans beyond that in all regards.

Plot: I only read the cover and first 1.5 chapters in a book café, so excuse this being messy. There was a protagonist-seeming guy aged 16 to mid-twenties who was running home from a field and pondering his romance with a woman his age, or something. He might also have been on his way to relax in that field.
*In the next chapter*, that protagonist transitioned to being a woman in a later century. Or that was something I got from the blurb; too long ago, so I don't know what I might have mixed up by now.

Synopsis: From what I caught, it was about characters being connected through several centuries by a shared personality and possibly shared relationships.

That's all I have.
It's the bane of book cafés that they don't come with personal account histories. If you don't buy, and never google the title of the book you took that 10 pixel picture on your button mobile phone with, eventually you'll have a new phone and the opportunity to look up the book will be gone.

Hope someone has a lead. Thanks!

message 2: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 119 comments How To Stop Time by Matt Haig?

message 3: by Benjamin (last edited May 23, 2020 11:45AM) (new) - added it

Benjamin Minkowitsch | 3 comments I don't think so. In particular the titles don't ring any bells. The author's name doesn't sound as unfitting, but I do still think it was written by a woman.
Does anything I described about the first 1-2 chapters sound familiar and similar to what you know from that book?

I looked up the English and German titles (I think I read it in English, but don't want to risk missing it because of a non-equivalent translated title); they are equivalent, and it doesn't seem like it would have been the book's title.
I feel like I remember a very short book title. A first name; not sure what gender. Might even have been intentionally ambiguous. But I don't have any clear memory of the title.

It's hard to say definitively from the amazon descriptions of the plot, though, because I only know the very beginning and my vague memory of the blurb, so it's hard to confirm from details of how the plot might develop.
Therefore, if there's anything that sticks out to you about my description of those initial two chapters (I realise my description doesn't offer much), that would help a lot.

Edit: Oh and 'How to Stop Time' isn't old enough. There is no way I read the book any later than 2014; more likely earlier.

message 4: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2070 comments Orlando maybe?

message 5: by Benjamin (last edited May 23, 2020 12:27PM) (new) - added it

Benjamin Minkowitsch | 3 comments Yees, thank you!!
So it must have been a republishing after all, I assume? No new adaptations/reimaginings by different authors that you know of?
Edit: Yup, the version I read was a Woolfe original, too. This is the teal cover I was thinking of - a translation.

Sorry if my description was off; I really only got barely an hour's worth of an impression.

I knew the name was a Shakespeare character's name, but I didn't want to mislead people into the vain Google searches I've failed at in the past few years.

I haven't read anything by Virginia Woolf yet, so I'm really glad this vague memory ended up leading me to something of a classic. Really looking forward to this now.
Did you like it?

/solved. I assume the mods take over the administration of the thread from here? I'll just see if I can edit the title.
Edit: Found it, I think. Hope that's okay like that now.

message 6: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2070 comments You're welcome -- glad you found your book!

Benjamin wrote: " No new adaptations/reimaginings by different authors that you know of?"

It was made into a movie in 1992, and I think a play more recently, but I don't know of any in book form.

Benjamin wrote: "Did you like it?"

I haven't read it; I just recognized it from your description.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Orlando (other topics)