Young Shakespeares, a writing group discussion

Phoenix's writing > Stuff I got published

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Phoenix (Books with Wings) Yeah, the topic title sounds exciting but it's not actually that exciting, these are just the two pieces that I got published in my school's literary magazine.

FYI, the short story will be changed a little bit so I don't give away the city I live in but it'll be practically the same.

Phoenix (Books with Wings) Okay, here's the short story, it's called First Train Downtown:

Light streaks the horizon, showing the first dash of daylight in an otherwise dark landscape. I shiver, tucking my hands into my pockets, hunching down to avoid the wind.
Slowly, people arrive, trickling into the train station, donning backpacks and instruments and unfinished breakfast, wrapped in heavy winter coats.
Then, the train whistle, cutting through the peaceful daybreak. Car doors slam, rushed goodbyes are given. The train seems to loom above us, a giant beast of metal and smoke. Its inside is already teeming with people like me, starting their mornings on the first train downtown.

Phoenix (Books with Wings) Here's the poem, it's called Everything:

Everything
Around me
Rushed, hurried.
I stand
My bag like the weight of the world
Crowds, growing, thinning
Around me.

Everything
Around me
Frantic, busy
I stand
My feet cemented to the ground
People, chatting, laughing
Around me.

Everything
Around me
Gloomy, scared
I stand
My hands fidgeting with nothing to do
Doors, slamming, creaking
Around me.

Everything
Around me
Is so risky, dangerous.
And yet I stand
Ready
To change the world.

message 4: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Hadly (ellahadley) I love this! It’s such an encouraging poem but at the same time so real and true! Love it!

Phoenix (Books with Wings) Thank you! Honestly I wrote that poem in about 3 minutes and did not expect it to be accepted AT ALL.

message 6: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Hadly (ellahadley) Hey Phoenix, if you could. Do you think you could go to my group, I need some help with beginning me book. If not, totally understand. Sorry for bothering you

Phoenix (Books with Wings) Yeah, sure! No problem!